Hole seal on traveller bog

PiRSqwared

Featured Posts

Hello,

I would search "toilet", but it might take a little while to find out what I actually want!!

I have a Traveller toilet. The bowl is not retaining water - it just drains through to the tank. Any ideas on how straight forward this would be to fix, and how many times I should shower before going to the pub afterwards?

Cheers in advance

Get a really good pump out first and then its hardly traumatic at all.

Are you sure the seals really have gone? Sometime a bit of hard stuff gets in there and creates a leak. If its limescale then its probably easier just to replace the seals, though you can recover the old ones, but if you've been eating grit and not chewing it properly......

Try working the lever back and forward several times whilsh flushing lots of water with washing up liquid through.

This really does work more often than not.

Its always good idea to lubricate the seals with washing up liquid every few weeks anyway.

............Dave

Mine started leaking last summer. I was going to replace the seal, but in investigating how much of a job it was going to be, I found it dismantled very easily. So cleaned the old seal and ball, lubricated it with olive oil,replaced, and it sealed again. Once it is out and cleaned you can see if it really needs replacing. Its an easy job and in my case not particularly unpleasant, messy or smelly. You get a bit of water escape when you disconnect the flush pipe.

Get a really good pump out first and then its hardly traumatic at all.

Are you sure the seals really have gone? Sometime a bit of hard stuff gets in there and creates a leak. If its limescale then its probably easier just to replace the seals, though you can recover the old ones, but if you've been eating grit and not chewing it properly......

Try working the lever back and forward several times whilsh flushing lots of water with washing up liquid through.

This really does work more often than not.

Its always good idea to lubricate the seals with washing up liquid every few weeks anyway.

............Dave

Thanks, I'll try that.

Don't read any further if you are eating...

We're currently moored in a marina, so we only really use the toilet first thing in the morning or if it's chucking it down with rain/hail/snow. Toilet tissue is only a requirement while we're out cruising IYKWIM, so opportunities for "hard stuff" to foul the seals are few and far between. Of course, what SWMBO gets up to in there while I'm away is possibly a different kettle of haddock!!

Beware that the Traveller and Traveller Lite have different seals. Make sure you have the correct one before dismantling everything. Don't ask me how I know! Most chandlers only seem to stock the Traveller (large) one.

Richard

Any ideas on .......how many times I should shower before going to the pub afterwards?

Having stripped our Saniflo down to sort out the motor brushes in the summer, I'm not sure its "how many showers to go to the pub" but how many showers to be allowed to get into bed :(

Edited 'cos my brain doesn't work my fingers after wine :cheers:

Edited by steve hayes

We had a new seal last winter. I got someone to do it for us but then was surprised at the cost. As a result I decided to do it myself next time. I was talking to a chandeler owner at the festival in Burton and asjked him which parts I would need. He pointed them out to me but then said most people don't bother buying new seals they just turn the old ones over. The rubber develops an impression of the bit that swivels after a while. The impression, aggravated by any trapped dirt causes the seal to fail to hold water. By turning it over you present a new clean face to the problem (so to speak). The seal will be good for a while longer. By the time it is no longer watertight once again the original face will have recovered its shape. Great advice but he's not going to sell many seals.

I'm not sure that turning the seal over will help, for two reasons.

Firstly, the seals are coated with Teflon on side only, so that the ball will slide easily. Without this coating the ball will rarely close properly when the pedal is released.

Secondly the hole in the seal that allows water down from the overflow hole will not line up. Whether this normally has any function beyond accommodating any overflow if the water tap should leak I'm not sure, but I do know it would also serve as an air inlet if the breather were to get blocked while pumping out. This may be regarded as irrelevant, or of course could be solved by making an additional "keyway" hole at the edge in the right place (rather than by trying to make a second hole)

In most cases the rubber seals are fine but as more than one person said its just a build-up of, limescale and calcium, just remove the two rubber

seals scrape the two halfs with a blunt hacksaw blade of something to get it all off, lube up with petroleanum jelly and replace!

Kristian.