First time family holiday

lycam

Featured Posts

I'd vote for going up the Birmingham and Fazeley although it's not the most scenic canals it's very pleasant and calm once Curdworth is done and dusted. Drayton Manor is a great day out and one that Ellen and I have done so often I've lost count. We used be moored at the bottom of the Curdworth flight so it was a regular trip. If you have enough time you could do the Warwickshire Ring - Ellen and I could do it as a pair in a week at a push (a very hard push admittedly) and it has something for everyone! 10 days is more leisurely though and will give you a day or so in Birmingham.

In my experience with Ellen children love being onboard although Ellen did start going boating before she could walk so I suspect she just doesn't know any differently. She was an enthusiastic and careful lockwheeler and her instruction to me to hurry up hasn't changed since the earliest days although I do get to stay on the back deck more often these days.

This is a bit blurry but this is what she looked like as the smallest lock operator on the Hatton Flight

6630731713_53cce19d14.jpg

She does seem to have recovered although has some odd friends ...

6207966467_dc20d7b605_m.jpg

Edited by wrigglefingers

I think you may have given up a bit too quick TBH.

It would be a great holiday with the kids. Canals are not 'dangerous' as described above but 'potentially' dangerous if you do not take care.

Arguably the locks are the most potentially dangerous aspect but it's perfectly possible to have a 'lock free' holiday on the UK canal system.

These guys are great to hire from-

http://www.ashbyboats.com/ - they don't fulfil your other criteria though, they will be a decent taxi ride from the nearest station.

All hire co's will provide life-jackets for the kids FOC.

I would tend to agree. I think that a lot of this depends upon the relationship that you have with your children. If they are generally willing to follow your rules and understand the need for them you may well be all right. You can discuss the individual rules with them before you go and be absolutely firm in enforcing them. I am sure that another thread on the lines of "Reasonable Safety Rules for Children" would garner no end of rules, some of which will be reasonable. We took our children on hire holidays as soon as they could all swim.

Nick

I think the kids would definitely love all those things you mentioned and when I think about it we went to Disneyland Paris for our last holiday which we enjoyed but wouldn't go back as it was so stressful. So busy and fast paced, up early every morning and out till late at night. We needed a holiday when we came back to recover!

Had thought a canal break would give the right balance of rest and play as we could sort of please ourselves on the pace.

Me and my boyfriend are two adult children (31 and 21) we did Disney land a couple of years ago and without kids in tow could have done with a holiday after! Last year we went to birmingham on our boat from Gloucester. Did cadbury world on the way back its about a 15 minute walk from the visitor moorings. Alot more relaxing on the boat but still long tireing days but didn't have that need to a holiday feeling when we got back.

I also went with the brownies on the Norfolk broads when I was younger and loved it. saw lots of wildlife to so you maybe wouldn't need the zoo but I guess its nice for the kids to have something else to look forward to other than the time spent on the boat. One or more of them may not like boating.

Child friendly boat at Oxfordshire Narrowboats.

http://www.oxfordshire-narrowboats.co.uk/muddywatersholid.html

It's a good find but I can't see anything that makes it inherently safer for kids than an 'ordinary' NB, that is possibly aside from an 'inside' play den where I suppose you cage your little darlings out of the way of all the interesting things there would be to see up top...

I'd vote for going up the Birmingham and Fazeley ................... Drayton Manor is a great day out and one that Ellen and I have done so often I've lost count.

If you head south from Drayton Manor, there is Kingsbury Country Park, with walks and lakes and a smashing all day breakfast. Go into Brum and there is the Sea Life Centre. Going the other way, along the Trent & Mersey is Shugburough, with a variety of animals on the farm.

Child friendly boat at Oxfordshire Narrowboats.

http://www.oxfordshi...atersholid.html

It's a good find but I can't see anything that makes it inherently safer for kids than an 'ordinary' NB, that is possibly aside from an 'inside' play den where I suppose you cage your little darlings out of the way of all the interesting things there would be to see up top...

We played tag with this boat for a couple of days on the Oxford in August and moored by it in the centre of Banbury. The main difference apart from the paint job seems to be the kids play room with big TV and bean bags etc.

I'm looking for a bit of help booking our first canal boat holiday. We have 4 children who will be 8,6,5 and 2 when we plan to go in the summer or October depending on price. We are looking for a route where we can relax some days but also visit local attractions at some places so the kids don't get bored. A big thing that would swing it for us deciding would be if any of the canal routes passed close to a zoo. Maybe a bit of a strange request but being in Scotland we're nowhere near most UK zoos other than Edinburgh so would love if this was possible.

Other thing we need to consider is price, we're looking for something as cheap as possible really as we're saving for a car this year. I know canal holidays aren't that cheap though so am not kidding myself that it will be that cheap.

We don't have a car yet so would be relying on public transport so if any of the boat yards are nearish to a train station would be ideal.

Any help would be really appreciated as I don't really know where to start.

Hi , Just read your post .

Portharb.com check us out as we are very reasonable and are in the middle of the most popular cruising network.

Just down the road from the train station and we can collect you from there to the marina 07949 569 470 .. regards lee

Hi , Just read your post .

Portharb.com check us out as we are very reasonable and are in the middle of the most popular cruising network.

Just down the road from the train station and we can collect you from there to the marina 07949 569 470 .. regards lee

Lee, perhaps you could post something about yourself and your company in the New Members bit? That way we can get to know you a little more and see what you are bringing to the forum

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=428

I'm saying this as there have been problems in the past between the forum and companies who appear to only post here to flog their own products. In those cases it has often ended badly and damaged the companies reputation amongst the forum members

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Lee, perhaps you could post something about yourself and your company in the New Members bit? That way we can get to know you a little more and see what you are bringing to the forum

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=428

I'm saying this as there have been problems in the past between the forum and companies who appear to only post here to flog their own products. In those cases it has often ended badly and damaged the companies reputation amongst the forum members

Richard

I'm going to leave this here for now, see what Portharb has to say.