Fitting Out A Sailaway

Featured Posts

My current list of hints for anyone thinking of buying & fitting out a sailaway. Liable to change.

1. Be certain in your own mind of what you want to get out of the project, before you start. It affects the design of the hull.

2. Be as sure as possible of the full configuration before you start. It affects the design of the hull.

3. Buy your sailaway from a good builder (like I did. It helps.).

4. Be very sure of where you want them to cut the windows.

5. Don't take delivery in November through March.

6. Get the builder to put put a spray top coat on it (like mine did as standard).

7. Paint it Paint it Paint it Paint it, ASAP.

8. Make it weatherproof ASAP.

9. Make it secure ASAP. Plan this before the hull is built.

10. If you get access to it before the engine goes in, paint the engine bay.

11. Measure it, ALL of it, before you start putting bits in that will hide or obstruct measuring paths, and establish a central datum line.

12. Get it professionally sprayfoamed making sure they don't miss any bits.

13. Don't take on board bits you don't need for some time. Space to work in is at a premium.

14. Plan around your first BSS at the end of year 1. ie don't start a regulated task like gas unless you can finish it before the test.

15. Install heating before the winter arrives.

16. Avoid fumes. Petrol, gas, diesel, varnish etc. You can lose 3 weeks of building time at a stroke by getting this wrong. Don't ask me how I know.

17. Photograph everything at every stage.

18. Fitting out is difficult. Fitting out afloat is harder. Fitting out whilst CCing is almost impossible. Fitting out whilst CCing and holding down a job IS impossible.

Edited by system 4-50

18. Fitting out is difficult. Fitting out afloat is harder. Fitting out whilst CCing is almost impossible. Fitting out whilst CCing and holding down a job IS impossible.

Disagree with 18 , i'm managing ok, its a struggle and time deadlines are a dream but its happening and i'm happy so far.

You have my considerable respect!

Non deserved, i just treat it as a second job, it has affected the job plan though, i made sure all(well ,most) services were installed and running first then i fitted the boat around those, it worked for me.

14. Plan around your first BSS at the end of year 1. ie don't start a regulated task like gas unless you can finish it before the test.

should be covered by the Annexe 3 RCD declaration, (and by your own RCD documentation if you choose to do it this way) for 4 years.

i fitted my boat and then installed the gas and electrics..i hate it in years to come when you need to work on said systems and some fool has made it impossible because theyve fitted all the wiring and gas first...

Its all in the planning, if you can't plan ahead then you'll almost always be better off fitting services last :rolleyes:

start:

Visit lots of boats, both of the size you want and ones that are a lot bigger and smaller before you order.

Do

A detailed scale plan of the layout.

Leave for a couple of months.

Visit loads more boats.

Look at plan

if it still works then

exit loop

else

goto start

endif

loop

order hull

We originally thought about a 58' boat. Whilst looking we saw 30', 29' and 40' boats as well as some 70' ones. What became obvious was that some 70' boats appeared cramped inside and some 30' boats appeared very spacious. The layout and colour scheme has a huge effect. Also look at caravans, camper vans and any thing else for ideas.

I also did a detailed timing plan of the fit out. The timing was totally wrong however it did allow me to sort out the logic of the build and meant that I fitted things in the right order and didn't have to remove parts to fit something underneath. It also helped with the question - when can we go on holiday?

Edited by Chalky

Perhaps some don't come with windows?

Then it would be a shell with an engine. A sailaway means it's "seaworthy" (or whatever phrase is used in inland waterways?) and is ready to move, but lacking in internal domestic systems and internal structures/finishing. As such a sailaway must have doors and windows and be weatherproof.

Edited by blackrose

Then it would be a shell with an engine. A sailaway means it's "seaworthy" (or whatever phrase is used in inland waterways?) and is ready to move, but lacking in internal domestic systems and internal structures/finishing. As such a sailaway must have doors and windows and be weatherproof.

No where is it said that a sail away needs to have doors or windows. A sailaway could just mean a hull and engine.

No where is it said that a sail away needs to have doors or windows. A sailaway could just mean a hull and engine.

Perhaps what you mean is that you haven't heard that a sailaway needs to have doors & windows. I've read it & heard it said many times.

A sailaway doesn't just mean a hull & engine. A sailaway is a boat that is ready to sail away and thus it must be weatherproof - the clue is in the name!

A couple of builder's definitions:

http://www.liverpoolboatco.co.uk/id32.html

http://www.sailawayboats.co.uk/

However, if you can find one which says "Our sailaways are just a hull & engine with no windows or doors." then I'll concede the point.

Edited by blackrose

A sailaway doesn't just mean a hull & engine. A sailaway is a boat that is ready to sail away and thus it must be weatherproof - the clue is in the name!

A couple of builder's definitions:

http://www.liverpoolboatco.co.uk/id32.html

http://www.sailawayboats.co.uk/

What does a sailaway comprise of ? Ÿ

All steelwork completedŸ

Engine installation completedŸ

The ballast fittedŸ

Steel door facingsŸ

Sliding hatch fittedŸ

Windows installedŸ

Portholes installedŸ

Basic floor laidŸ

Ventilation completed to relevant standards

The boat in short is weather tight and cruisable from the day you take delivery

I like this better.

Edited by Pentargon

Perhaps what you mean is that you haven't heard that a sailaway needs to have doors & windows. I've read it & heard it said many times.

There's nothing saying a sailaway has to have spray foam or pre-lined but I've seen quite a few builders that do. A sailaway doesn't have to mean windows are installed or even cut out, or mushroom vents are installed. It just means you can sail your boat away which at minimum could be engine and hull.

There's nothing saying a sailaway has to have spray foam or pre-lined but I've seen quite a few builders that do. A sailaway doesn't have to mean windows are installed or even cut out, or mushroom vents are installed. It just means you can sail your boat away which at minimum could be engine and hull.

So find a buider who is offering a sailaway without doors or windows (and still calling it a sailaway), and I'll agree with you.

We weren't talking about sprayfoam or lining - the level of interior fit-out is optional, but a sailaway must have windows and doors and be weather tight. You can't sail a boat away safetly if it isn't weather tight. It could flood and sink. If it doesn't have doors & windows it's just a shell with an engine, not a sailaway.

The boat in short is weather tight and cruisable from the day you take delivery

Correct.

Edited by blackrose

You have my considerable respect!

In my case I set no targets or deadlines just did it. When I felt like doing a big spurt I just put more staff on at my pub and went and did the boat at other times I just did bits more slowly. My wasnt a sailaway I just bought the hull and had em fit steel doors and windows so it was watertight. The first " Tool " I bought was a peugeot pick-up that saved me loadsa money as I went to dealers and used CASH and got proper deals and took stuff away. I went to Beta at Stroud ( If i remember right ) and got a good discount and they put engine straight onto the pick up with a fork lift etc etc it worked for me.

So find a buider who is offering a sailaway without doors or windows (and still calling it a sailaway), and I'll agree with you.

Most builders may class a sailaway with windows and doors, most I've seen also specify sprayform as well but there's nothing to say it has too be so. If someone specified just a hull, engine and holes cut for the windows and vents that could be sailed away, it would still be called a sailaway. Just because 99% of the builders specify they do the windows, etc as a sailaway as standard doesn't mean they won't do a non-standard one too the customer specs..

After saying that, to the OP; what was the reason your boat wasn't weathertight?

I bought a sailaway. It was a hull and an engine. It could be put in the water and I could sail away. It did not have windows (only wimps need windows) and it did not have ballast. Oh and the teapot had no teacosy either.laugh.gif

I bought a sailaway. It was a hull and an engine. It could be put in the water and I could sail away. It did not have windows (only wimps need windows) and it did not have ballast.

most unseaworthy!

why did this thread deteriorate into unnecessary polemic so quickly? I guess most of the arguers are confined to barracks and getting bored! Meanwhile I managed 4 hours work on the cabin of my boat today. :lol:

Most builders may class a sailaway with windows and doors, most I've seen also specify sprayform as well but there's nothing to say it has too be so. If someone specified just a hull, engine and holes cut for the windows and vents that could be sailed away, it would still be called a sailaway. Just because 99% of the builders specify they do the windows, etc as a sailaway as standard doesn't mean they won't do a non-standard one too the customer specs..

After saying that, to the OP; what was the reason your boat wasn't weathertight?

Because it wasn't a sailaway! :lol:

When is a sailaway, not a sailaway? When it's just a shell with an engine.

Sorry Robbo, but I just disagree with you. By your definition a shell with a paddle could be a sailaway as long as it's in the water!

I bought a sailaway. It was a hull and an engine. It could be put in the water and I could sail away. It did not have windows (only wimps need windows) and it did not have ballast. Oh and the teapot had no teacosy either.laugh.gif

You mean you bought a shell and an engine and decided to put it in the water & move it even though it wasn't weather tight?

most unseaworthy!

why did this thread deteriorate into unnecessary polemic so quickly? I guess most of the arguers are confined to barracks and getting bored! Meanwhile I managed 4 hours work on the cabin of my boat today. :lol:

When the #?&% are you going to finish that thing? :lol:

Edited by blackrose

When the #?&% are you going to finish that thing? :lol:

'that thing' is an elegant lady of the river, I'll have you know.

3 months in and I've fitted out the wheelhouse and am now closing it in with the window/side panels.

if the good weather continues it'll be cruising by April.

the fabric carport cover helps when it drizzles.

....... but thanks for your kind thoughts anyway, Mike. :cheers: