shady oak

kienik

Featured Posts

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...atchlink:top:en

just found this on ebay, looks like the shady to me, i could be wrong tho

No doubt about it, that's the Shady Oak - the seller's name is a bit of a giveaway :).

Really sorry to see that; the place had its faults but it was a great location and a good weekend destination for us. When things eventually buck up maybe it will live again.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220917966637&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

just found this on ebay, looks like the shady to me, i could be wrong tho

Thats lovely, I could do with one of those, how do they post it to me though........(although for £2 I shouldn't worry about it too much)

The shady oak has had a pretty chequered history not to mention a 'cough cough' shady past.

It's been closed nearly as much as it has been open over the last few years.

The brewery's to blame of course, but they will blame plenty of other causes, not least the smoking ban.

One of the most popular pubs in this area is also the most remote, and not cheap either. It didn't allow smoking long before the ban. Still pretty full lunchtimes and evenings. But then the owners know what they are doing: providing good food, good beer, good service and a pleasant atmosphere (not to mention a tendency to employ tall, blond long-leggity waitresses).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I was the one who told everyone the Shady Oak, at Tiverton, Chester on the Shroppie had shut! We called today on our narrowboat on the rumour that the Shady Oak had now opened. Well, I wish to tell you good news that it has been bought, it is being run by a very lovely landlady and it was refurbished three weeks ago and has been open about a week! The menu is basic at the moment but will be updated - you can get a three course Sunday dinner for £10.95 and Scampi and chips for £6.50, kids meals £3.50 and full English All Day Breakfast. She is replemishing the drink stock so again that is limited- I couldn't have a malibu and coke but she did have beers like John Smith, Black Sheep and lager and a selection of soft drinks.

The pub was busy when we went! As it's one of our local's 3/4 of an hour away by boat so we will definately go back again!

The road to the pub is also opened if you wish to try it by car. British waterways have repaired the bridge that take's you to Bate's Mill opposite and beyond.

• 3 months later...

We went there on our recent trip (twice) and detailed it on my trip report Slow Boat To Chester (post 37 to save wading all through it!)

We really hope these people manage to make the place a success this time. They certainly deserve to. Good beer, excellent food, friendly and fast service and excellent prices

Really? Ah well, good luck to them.

N

A previous landlord took it on himself to provide the moorings without asking BW or Cheshire council.

I heard the council wanted it returned to "as it was". There is an enforcement notice served in 2009 on the cheshire west website but no details other than "complied with".

Meanwhile the Romping Donkey at Hassall Green is more than half demolished. It is a grade II listed building and I can't find any application on the cheshire east website.

A previous landlord took it on himself to provide the moorings without asking BW or Cheshire council.

I heard the council wanted it returned to "as it was". There is an enforcement notice served in 2009 on the cheshire west website but no details other than "complied with".

Meanwhile the Romping Donkey at Hassall Green is more than half demolished. It is a grade II listed building and I can't find any application on the cheshire east website.

I think you may be thinking of the 'mini marina' the previous landlord decided to build. That is now filled in and he is long gone, there are just ordinary linear moorings in the beer garden with a pretty decent jetty, which I would imagine are all above board as the pub has offered moorings to its customers for donkeys years. I'm sure I remember mooring there as a kid in the mid 80s.

1830424_42ca099c.jpg

N