CRT Council

mayalld

Featured Posts

Well, clearly you will have your views on me that I'm not going to change, but that is as it is.

Not sure why you believe that I argue dishonestly though.

Indeed.

I have very mixed views about you. It's because I don't see things in black and white terms! :) I can appreciate your good points without pretending the bad don't exist.

As for dishonest arguments, stop being disingenuous. We don't want to derail your thread, after all.

Are you capable of keeping this promise , i have always found that you will stick to and defend your own views and other peoples views will do nothing to change what you think , mayall putting forward any view that he himself is not in full agreement with , cant see it myself .

I know where you are coming from I think but I also think there is a clear difference between defending and sticking up for you own views (as he does on here) and supporting a collective view to be passed on. I would hope that in the later Dave will take on board the wishes and opinions of others in that circumstance and represent them at any meeting.

Well, it went pear-shaped precisely at post #18, didn't it, when the personal abuse started? I think Dave has made a good fist so far of answering questions, however adversarial. Those resorting to rotten-egg throwing show themselves unable to conduct a proper debate.

Excuse me! I didn't call him names or throw rotten eggs! I merely stated my position and reasons. . . Go do your fire or summat!

Compared to keeping the canals as well maintained as possible, some other subjects are just fiddling around the edges. Of all the subjects on the possible agenda, CC'ers and CM'ers wouldn't rate as that high. I certainly don't think it's worth bursting a blood vessel over.

As for dishonest arguments, stop being disingenuous. We don't want to derail your thread, after all.

I'm not being disingenuous.

So far as I'm aware, I do not advance dishonest arguments.

You have suggested that I do so, and if I am to attempt to defend myself against such accusations, surely I should be challenged with these dishonest arguments.

In the absence of any examples, I can do little but deny your suggestion.

Surely the purpose of CART, is to run the council as financially viable and efficiently as possible?

The person who is nominated needs to be fully aware of what the role of the new council wants to achieve and how they are going to achieve it. I am passionate about our waterways, in a quiet way, but I can't see what's been laid out as 'the vision' of the new trust. Unless I've missed it. This makes it difficult to consider who would be suitable for becoming a trustee for each area.

Wouldn't each trustee need a background knowledge in several key areas of canal conservation, budget & management?

Surely the purpose of CART, is to run the council as financially viable and efficiently as possible?

The person who is nominated needs to be fully aware of what the role of the new council wants to achieve and how they are going to achieve it. I am passionate about our waterways, in a quiet way, but I can't see what's been laid out as 'the vision' of the new trust. Unless I've missed it. This makes it difficult to consider who would be suitable for becoming a trustee for each area.

Wouldn't each trustee need a background knowledge in several key areas of canal conservation, budget & management?

Nina we are voting for Council Members not Trustees at this stage we do not have a say in who is going to be a Trustee.

The Council has no power and can only advise or suggest to the Trustees.

Well, it went pear-shaped precisely at post #18, didn't it, when the personal abuse started? I think Dave has made a good fist so far of answering questions, however adversarial. Those resorting to rotten-egg throwing show themselves unable to conduct a proper debate.

Well said that man.

Excuse me! I didn't call him names or throw rotten eggs! I merely stated my position and reasons. . . Go do your fire or summat!

You may not have called names as such, but some of the words you used certainly seem like insults to me

Am afraid you won't get my vote, even if your the only one to go up for it. I consider you devious, self righteous and arrogant, but what most concerns me, is the fact that you get right up my nose, and I suspect you would get up the noses of other council members as well. Sorry to be blunt with my honesty :)

• Greenie 1

Nina we are voting for Council Members not Trustees at this stage we do not have a say in who is going to be a Trustee.

The Council has no power and can only advise or suggest to the Trustees.

Well said that man.

OK, I understand that part. But before you become a council member, don't you need to see a wider mission statement or the bigger vision? I understand as a council member, you will need to have 3-5 spare days a month but doing what exactly? I might have missed reading something so feel free to correct me if I have.

"Wouldn't each council member need a background knowledge in several key areas of canal conservation, budget & management?"

Yes, definitely. With very very few exceptions all the views I've heard on this forum are very parochial. The members of this forum who speak with authority in the 'real' world (of the canals) are few and not represented in the candidates so far (after Magpie Patrick stood down)

I prefer to abide by the adage "Anyone who wishes to stand for election should be automatically disqualified from doing so".

Absolutely.

Edited by Chris Pink

"Wouldn't each council member need a background knowledge in several key areas of canal conservation, budget & management?"

Yes, absolutely. with very very few exceptions all the views I've heard on this forum are very parochial. The members of this forum who speak with authority in the 'real' world (of the canals) are few and not represented in the candidates so far (after Magpie Patrick stood down)

Absolutely.

That's how I interpreted it too. That's why I'm finding it all a bit vague and confusing. You really need the best people with the right background to represent all parties plus a clear understanding of the new Trust's vision. Whatever that is. Does anyone know?

OK, I understand that part. But before you become a council member, don't you need to see a wider mission statement or the bigger vision? I understand as a council member, you will need to have 3-5 spare days a month but doing what exactly? I might have missed reading something so feel free to correct me if I have.

I don't think 2 meetings a year would need 3-5 spare days a month, yes it will certainly require a few hours a week.

I might be completely wrong but I see the job as making sure the voices of the boaters his heard in a Council where they only represent 20% of that Council. The other 80% will have a completely different agenda.

I don't think 2 meetings a year would need 3-5 spare days a month, yes it will certainly require a few hours a week.

I might be completely wrong but I see the job as making sure the voices of the boaters his heard in a Council where they only represent 20% of that Council. The other 80% will have a completely different agenda.

Perhaps the number of days boating a year should be a factor?

It has always seemed strange that BW's Head of Boating doesn't have any experience of boats or boating or navigational nuances.

Perhaps the number of days boating a year should be a factor?

I understand what you are saying but that would rather restrict the process. People in full time employment are very restricted in the time they can spend boating. Otherwise we could just end up with 'grumpy old people' like myself who are retired and have the time to cruise 365 days a year.

I understand what you are saying but that would rather restrict the process. People in full time employment are very restricted in the time they can spend boating. Otherwise we could just end up with 'grumpy old people' like myself who are retired and have the time to cruise 365 days a year.

I run a business and work full time so I can't cruise often. I would have to be on the list of canal appreciators :-) I'm also involved in a Towpathers clearing up group. They love the canals too and most don't own a boat. I think you would need to represent the voices of people other than just boat owners.

They love the canals too and most don't own a boat. I think you would need to represent the voices of people other than just boat owners.

These people have representatives on the Council.

As this is David's thread for election and manifesto discussion could I suggest this thread CaRT Thread for general discussion.

These people have representatives on the Council.

As this is David's thread for election and manifesto discussion could I suggest this thread CaRT Thread for general discussion.

But if David was to become a council member, wouldn't he need to be aware of all background groups who have an shared interest in the canals? Isn't that the idea? That he collects information and research from a wide source of waterway enthusiasts then reports back to a board of trustees?

But if David was to become a council member, wouldn't he need to be aware of all background groups who have an shared interest in the canals? Isn't that the idea? That he collects information and research from a wide source of waterway enthusiasts then reports back to a board of trustees?

Nina it was just a suggestion, at present there are 5 threads on CaRT Council and I am sure david and alan are reading all of them. This is an open forum and you can post what you like where you lik, as I said just a suggestion.

Nina

Dave is running for the position of boater elected council member.

Whilst i agree with you, that if elected he will need an awareness of other issues, it's my opinion he will be there to represent boaters primarily.

there will be a volunteers council member

4 x other supporters members

It will be these who will be there primarily to represent the other users. But they will need an awareness of boating.

All the above my opinion

Nina it was just a suggestion, at present there are 5 threads on CaRT Council and I am sure david and alan are reading all of them. This is an open forum and you can post what you like where you lik, as I said just a suggestion.

Thankyou for your suggestion:-)

Nina

Dave is running for the position of boater elected council member.

Whilst i agree with you, that if elected he will need an awareness of other issues, it's my opinion he will be there to represent boaters primarily.

there will be a volunteers council member

4 x other supporters members

It will be these who will be there primarily to represent the other users. But they will need an awareness of boating.

All the above my opinion

Thanks for the explanation. I have got confused with all the threads and different posts on the same topic. It would help if BW were less vague, had a proper mission statement and fully explained vision outlined on their web site of what is expected of all the roles for volunteer council members, chairs & trustees, who they represent and in what capacity.