Lock operation instructions

Sir Nibble

Featured Posts

A rare escapade this week onto Canalworld: Strong winds have closed Felixstowe port today...

I think this is a workable idea, and as with most ideas, it needs developing further and whether it is a good idea or not is in the detail. If I were in charge of whatever department was responsible and this was put before me I'd talk around the idea with a few selected people (not sure who yet) and say "work up a few options". These would include considering what the signs should say, what they should look like, and where they should be placed, what advice should be issued ("boaters should moor and take in the operation boards before proceeding"?). Then, when some detail has been determined, the idea could be taken forward... or not as the case maybe.

clearly not every lock, but some hotspots and similar, and I suspect many first time boaters have been gongoozlers at such spots to get the idea of going boating in the first place

As a new hirer I would be too preoccupied with getting through the lock and out of the way of other boaters to take much notice. The best place for me would be the natural first overnight stopping point after leaving the hire base.

Where would that be then..?

The next lock landing! ;)

don't all hire companys send dvds and manuals after you have booked..wyvern do,that should be more than enough.

Me and the girlfriend were cycling through Aldermaston around September and the first lock after the hire base going up a lock, was a hire boat waiting to enter the lock.

The husband was steering, with a dog tied up at the front trying to dive in the water. The wife had emptied the lock and was trying her hardest to open a gate. She had 2 toddlers running round the empty lock side and one of them haversack things tied around the boob area with a newborn in.

I couldnt believe it. An accident waiting to happen so we ditched the bikes and gave her hand to get through. Only a couple of hundred yards from the hire base. I was a bit surprised a member of staff didnt show them through the first one though.

A rare escapade this week onto Canalworld: Strong winds have closed Felixstowe port today...

I think this is a workable idea, and as with most ideas, it needs developing further and whether it is a good idea or not is in the detail. If I were in charge of whatever department was responsible and this was put before me I'd talk around the idea with a few selected people (not sure who yet) and say "work up a few options". These would include considering what the signs should say, what they should look like, and where they should be placed, what advice should be issued ("boaters should moor and take in the operation boards before proceeding"?). Then, when some detail has been determined, the idea could be taken forward... or not as the case maybe.

clearly not every lock, but some hotspots and similar, and I suspect many first time boaters have been gongoozlers at such spots to get the idea of going boating in the first place

For the past couple of summer seasons BW have put instructions on a board like you see at roadworks, giving instructions on how to work the locks. Just North is Napton Narrowboats, Wigrams and Calcutt hire bases

OK, but surely within a 5 minute walk? I can't believe that a boat owner hasn't at least walked down to the nearest one to see how they work?

There are boats at the marina I'm in that are just floating homes. People that get boats as a cheep home can be in a worse position than a hirer when they do get to there first lock. I think its a good idea,we are going to get representation boards anyway, so we may aswell have usfull ones.

:P

It's dangerous here!

But yes, signs can help. Those who don't want to read them won't, no problem.

Yes, signs can help, but can go too far in their dominance of an otherwise beautiful scene.

Fair enough at a staircase or otherwise unusual lock, but an ordinary lock, because it happens to be near a hire base, then no.

Yes, signs can help, but can go too far in their dominance of an otherwise beautiful scene.

Fair enough at a staircase or otherwise unusual lock, but an ordinary lock, because it happens to be near a hire base, then no.

Why..

Consultant by any chance are we.... :P

Why..

Because there are too many signs about already. My favorites are the "Welcome to the Sanitary Station" types.... :wacko:

Who said we were in walking distance ?

Our nearest locks are 40 mins cruise from the hire base

...and that 40 minutes gives me ample time to explain lock workings, boat safety, canal etiquette etc. when I conduct a handover.

As for signs? Yes, there is a lovely one at Greenberfield which explains how locks work, but reading a sign is one thing...actually putting it into practice is another...there simply is no substitute for actually doing it. It's all very well in theory, but in practice locks are scary and dangerous places and new hirers/new boaters need to know about the potential dangers and the things to do and the things to avoid. I don't think they'd get that from a sign at the locks...it's impossible to quantify all the risks.

We are very lucky in that we have three locks within a shortish cruise...all are a bit quirky, but that's the L&L for you...

When I do a handover, I cruise with our guests to the locks, then stay with them to give instruction for the first one, just to make sure they know what they're doing, and that they are aware of all the safety aspects. If I'm not sure that they're competent and happy working locks, then I'll stick with them for the next one and if I'm still not sure, then I'll accompany them through the third one...they've usually got the idea by then.

Janet

Because there are too many signs about already. My favorites are the "Welcome to the Sanitary Station" types.... :wacko:

Given BW sanitary stations can often be within obscure canal side buildings that would other wise be almost be impossible to identify on the move I don't see the problem.

Ok maybe not an issue if you are very familiar with a particular section of the system but very useful if you are not...

Ok, so the sign only need say 'Sanitary Station'. I don't need welcoming to the place where I'm going to empty the bog.... :closedeyes:

So it's not the sign then.... rather the wording...

Ditto..

I have been reading this forum for quite a while, without signing up, to hear what other boaters have to say on a lot of various topics.

Coming from a beautiful town, of which the town centre has been blighted by a rash of fleurescent (sp?) signs, I really don't want the same for our canals.

I have been reading this forum for quite a while, without signing up, to hear what other boaters have to say on a lot of various topics.

Coming from a beautiful town, of which the town centre has been blighted by a rash of fleurescent (sp?) signs, I really don't want the same for our canals.

I agree but..

I don't think that was what was being proposed though.

edit to add the missing was

Edited by MJG