where can I go to

Mary9

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I am new to boating and very keen to immerse myself(excuse the pun!) in the world of canal boating to see if this is something I would like to do as a permanent option. I have done a lot of research online etc but am lacking the all important getting out and actually seeing different examples of boats as well as meeting enough people who actually live on them. I'm based in London and wondered if anyone new of any good places to go immerse myself in all things boating where I could maybe even test drive boats so to speak. I want to be fully clued up about all the options so that I know what I'm getting myself into, particularly as this is a solo venture.

Any suggestions and helpful hints gratefully received.

Mary

Welcome to the forum.

London is a big place but you could always go to Paddington, if you leave the station by the rear entrance, you will enter 'Little Venice'.

Lots of live aboard's, 'winter moorers' and visiting boats in the area.

Hi All,

I am new to boating and very keen to immerse myself(excuse the pun!) in the world of canal boating to see if this is something I would like to do as a permanent option. I have done a lot of research online etc but am lacking the all important getting out and actually seeing different examples of boats as well as meeting enough people who actually live on them. I'm based in London and wondered if anyone new of any good places to go immerse myself in all things boating where I could maybe even test drive boats so to speak. I want to be fully clued up about all the options so that I know what I'm getting myself into, particularly as this is a solo venture.

Any suggestions and helpful hints gratefully received.

Have you ever been out on a narrowboat?

I have been looking for two years now and having weighed up all of the pros and cons decided that boating is right for me. I have dealt with a number of brokerages, all I am happy to say are equally as friendly and as laid back as the life style they are trying to promote.I visited a few shows again talking to people about their choices and what worked well/not so well for them. I toured around countless boats and I have visited a number of Marinas spending hours sitting and watching the world go by in slow motion whilst drinking my coffee. Try walking the towpaths talk to boaters, work the locks and maybe take in a few boat trips for yourself.

whilton marina is not far from Long Buckby station (london - northampton - rugby line)

Willowbridge near hayes (think they have a few boats for sale)

Virginia currer on the slough arm (not far from west drayton)

Braunston nr daventry only really a car destination as public transport isn't brilliant

as is Sawley on the Trent & Mersey

keep to 7ft wide by 60ft long or smaller to keep most destinations open to you.

Willowbridge near hayes (think they have a few boats for sale)

Willowtree, possibly ?

Willowbridge is on the GU near Milton Keynes, and I'm not aware they do much brokerage.

Come to that, I'm not sure Willowtree do either, but I know little about them, I'll admit.

For Braunston you can get a bus hourly from either Rugby or Daventry, but if coming in at long Buckby you'd have to change.

Though it takes longer, it would be simpler to get the train to Rugby and bus down.

The bus stops are right outside the marina so as long as you time it right it's quite do able.

Catch the train and take a bike with you - its all downhill from Long Buckby IIRC. Its also a good way to see lots of the towpath and quicker than walking. Take a windless with you as well - perhaps not this time of year as you could be waiting a long time at locks.

• 7 months later...

Not according to canal plan

Searching for "the stars"

The place the stars wasn't recognised

The following waterways may be matches for "the stars"

River Witham (Boston to the Wash)

River Shannon - Killaloe to the sea

Chesterfield Canal (Retford to the Trent)

These are other matches in the database to "the stars" of which only the best 10 are shown:

Willowtree, possibly ?

Willowbridge is on the GU near Milton Keynes, and I'm not aware they do much brokerage.

Come to that, I'm not sure Willowtree do either, but I know little about them, I'll admit.

[/quote

Willowtree do brokerage also i belive some training courses.

Just google willowtree marina for details