Open Country on R4 now

blackrose

Featured Posts

Having arrvied home I listed with interest to the BW spoksperson describe how they had apparently restored the canal. Certainly if you listen they give that impression, pity nothing could be further from the truth. In 1962 they were trying desperately to close it, John & Winn Gould, Bill Fisher, Bob Alderman and others started the K&A Association which later became the trust. They and and a host of other people from local councils, the WRG and individuals worked hard for twenty eight years raising money, rebuilding locks etc.Only at the last when it was obvious that they had suceeded did the now BW jump on board.

The Avon Vale by the way is not run by BW but by the K&A Trust, we rescued it, rebuilt it and use it to carry out maintenance on the canal. The second half did redress the bias a little but only if you know the true history. I don't know the volunteer but if he was canal busting in the 60's why dosen't he know how to operate a lock? More BW bullshit.

Ken

<snip>

More BW bullshit.

Ken

I'm afraid I have to agree with that. The reporter was having a great day out, everyone welcomed having lots of new volunteers. About twenty seconds went into how it was all going to be managed or funded

Richard

Saying that it gave those who don't know anything about canals a small insight. Didn't realise that it status has changed to a cruising canal, it was certainly a worry to a few people we spoke to last year when we cruised between Pudsey and Bristol (and return). Perhaps BW might get around to dredging the section between Devizes and Reading - very poor in places with semi permanent boat at available mooring spots.

Bit of a coincidence as I've just volunteered to help out in the London region (inside M25). BW are recruiting people to assist them - some will become 'towpath rangers' and part of their role will be to try to get (mainly) cyclists to be considerate (types me as a regular cyclist) and promote the '2 tings' campaign - and much more. The section of the towpath around Islington/Hackney is like a mini M25 for cyclists and many go much to fast. We met at London BW HQ and as it happens the chairman was there and popped in to say a few good words. Hopefully becoming divorced from HM Government may give them some certainly of funding and take onboard the concerns of all canal users. Time will tell I guess.

Helping move a nb from Bow Locks up to Enfield tomorrow - not been up the River Lea (well not on a boat) and looking forwards to it.