led ligthing and switch layout.

lexicon

Featured Posts

Hi folks

Need to ask for advice on my idea of a lighting layout for the build. one run of 6mm cable with a switch on the bulkhead by rear door.

Then seperate branches off with a switch to led lights in each room for the roof lights and two reading lamps (with inbuilt switches)

Would this work?

Invisage this layout to reduce cabling runs and enable the first switch to kill all lights on upon leaving easily.

Cabin will be 26ft long in total.

Any comments and advice greatfully received.

Glen

Hi folks

Need to ask for advice on my idea of a lighting layout for the build. one run of 6mm cable with a switch on the bulkhead by rear door.

Then seperate branches off with a switch to led lights in each room for the roof lights and two reading lamps (with inbuilt switches)

Would this work?

Invisage this layout to reduce cabling runs and enable the first switch to kill all lights on upon leaving easily.

Glen

Yes your scheme should work fine. 6mm cable is more than adequate, 2.5 should be fine. Do use stranded flexible cable and not solid domestic cable.

hi robbo

i will have a isolation switch in the circuit for all the stuff except fridge for when i am away for a long time but thinking of the set up above in case i want to have the lights off but other systems on if i pop out for a evening on board etc

It sounds fine to me, with two provisos.

Ensure that the main switch is correctly rated for switching all of those lights. In other words, calculate the maximum current of that feed, double it for a safety margin, and then ensure the switch at least meets this rating at 12V.

Assuming that you won't be teeing off for each individual lamp with 6mm cable ensure that each switched feed to a lamp is suitably fused to protect the size of cable going to that lamp.

Tony

Hi folks

Would this work?

Glen

Hi

A switch with 6mm connections could be a big switch, why not use the switch on the circuit breaker?

Also 6mm connectors will be pretty big. Calculate whether a smaller main supply cable would be OK

Alex

i will have a isolation switch in the circuit for all the stuff except fridge for when i am away for a long time but thinking of the set up above in case i want to have the lights off but other systems on if i pop out for a evening on board etc

Here's another thought...

One of my ideas is too run every light back to one main point and all the switch cables as well, this way you can have a patch panel affair and can easily change your mind on what which switch does later on (run multiple cables to each switch so you can change to a multiple switch later, etc.). If you want to use dimmers (like this http://www.abeltronics.co.uk/products/pwm-12v-24v-low-voltage-led-dimmer-single-switch-controlled-10a/dim11) on the lights then you can use thinner cable for the switches.

Well that is the other extreme, might be feasible if you can get 1mm2 multicore. Otherwise wire feat nifghtmare which is exactly what the op will avoid by using a 'backbone'

I think it makes it simpler, especially when you get a dodgy connection somewhere. It can only be at one of two places, no junction boxes or multiple cables jammed into one terminal.

Not helping the electrics query, but personally I always leave one light on (my only LED!) when I go out for the evening (a pathetic attempt at extra security, plus guidance back)

I always leave lots of lights on in the evening now as LEDs use so little power.

Your scheme would work.

6mm cable for the backbone sounds a bit of over kill, given you are intending to run LEDs (unless of course you are going to run hundreds of them). 2.5 would be more than big enough, and possibly even 1.5 depending on the "quality" of the LEDs - proper "boat rated" should work down to 10v, but some "domestic" ones won't work much below 12v. There is a useful voltage drop calculator here - but remember that on boats it is normal to run both negative and positive wires, so don't forget to double your cable run.

The question of "sensible" or not is very much a life style one - are you certain that you will only ever want to turn all the lights off from the back of the boat?

You will have to break both positive and negative parts of the backbone at each light switch and every connection is a potential weak spot in your wiring.

Hi folks

Think I would consider 2x 2.5, say one for cabin lights, one for reading lights, bathroom.

Then you can leave cabin lights on for security as suggested.

2 cores of 2.5 would probably fit OK in a yellow insulated crimp, making junctions a bit easier.

Some more thoughts here.

cheers,

Pete.