Juno's engine

Featured Posts

I've also posted this on the viking owners forum, and have asked about engines here before

As those of you who've followed this will know Juno has a Yamaha 9.9 outboard, it's fairly elderly and has had a fault ever since we got the boat, (which has been discussed on this forum) periodically it stutters and threatens to stall, one more than one occasion it has backfired and stalled. Not good on a canal, not on with the River Avon, where the run at the top of the locks is often along the weir crest. It has defied solution, partly because the fault will not replicate itself in the engineers test tank.

Leaving aside possible solutions, if we replace what do we get? A new equivalent would be £3,000, a lot of money, but if we just go for a second hand engine off ebay we might be buying another lemon. One friend suggested a smaller engine, say a 4hp, as these are substantially cheaper, but would such an engine cope? We don't set speed records, but being able to keep up with a narrowboat is desirable, although it must be said that with the existing engine going slow enough for them is sometimes problem.

Alternatively, is there a reliable dealer in second hand outboards?

Thoughts?

I've also posted this on the viking owners forum,

Traitor!

I would not go any smaller, if you want to do river or estuary cruising.

One possibility could be having a smaller back up motor, on a drop down bracket, bolted to the transom.

If you are going second hand then, personally, I wouldn't consider anything other than a Honda 15.

Powerful enough to push your boat comfortably against the tide, calm enough for canal cruising and legendary reliability.

Traitor!

:P

I would not go any smaller, if you want to do river or estuary cruising.

One possibility could be having a smaller back up motor, on a drop down bracket, bolted to the transom.

If you are going second hand then, personally, I wouldn't consider anything other than a Honda 15.

Powerful enough to push your boat comfortably against the tide, calm enough for canal cruising and legendary reliability.

Not going estuary cruising yet, next couple of years likely to see Kennet and Avon, Avon down to Bristol (non tidal) Thames above Teddington, Stroudwater Canal, Mon and Brec, Neath Canal, Grand Western, Bridgwater and Taunton.

However one day we will go down a tidal river, as we have ambitions to get to Lydney

I'll have a look at second hand Honda 15s then

There is one that ends in 6 hours. ebay

Cousin left the UK, no stickers or serial number plate, resprayed....

Now I'm not usually the suspicious or judgemental type but this doesn't inspire confidence.

Viking Owners Club suggest Honda 15 as well, and a 4hp hand start for emergencies

Only because they have my CWDF posts on RSS feed. ;)

I've also posted this on the viking owners forum, and have asked about engines here before

As those of you who've followed this will know Juno has a Yamaha 9.9 outboard, it's fairly elderly and has had a fault ever since we got the boat, (which has been discussed on this forum) periodically it stutters and threatens to stall, one more than one occasion it has backfired and stalled. Not good on a canal, not on with the River Avon, where the run at the top of the locks is often along the weir crest. It has defied solution, partly because the fault will not replicate itself in the engineers test tank.

Leaving aside possible solutions, if we replace what do we get? A new equivalent would be £3,000, a lot of money, but if we just go for a second hand engine off ebay we might be buying another lemon. One friend suggested a smaller engine, say a 4hp, as these are substantially cheaper, but would such an engine cope? We don't set speed records, but being able to keep up with a narrowboat is desirable, although it must be said that with the existing engine going slow enough for them is sometimes problem.

Alternatively, is there a reliable dealer in second hand outboards?

Thoughts?

Cant recommend any second hand dealers, but a friend uses mariner 15s on hire boats. Bullet proof, but must get the "Big foot" gearbox version. Mercury 15 is same engine but dont know if big foot gearbox is available on the merc. Mercs. used to be at a premium price over the mariners.

Paul M

We have a Mariner 6hp on Asbo and it is a great little engine. Wouldnt suggest that small for your cruiser but would suggest looking for a second hand Mariner 10 or 15hp.

Mariner are made by Tohatsu so come cheaper that way

Is there anyway you can mount an SR2 (the 3 being overkill, of course) and have the best?

You jest, my friend, an SR2 weighs more than Juno does!

Anyway, subject to satisfactory inspection, we now own a nearly new Yamaha 9.9, Sis in law is collecting it Saturday

(Sis in Law in Southampton is suddenly an advantage!)

Tohatsu engines seem have an improving reputation but Honda is still the one to go for. The specs have changed lately though so you need to be a bit careful and check the dimensions - the new engines are "fatter" so if your boat is designed for an older engine you might find a new one won't fit. The new 15 and 20 are the same engine except the 20 revs higher to get the extra hp. I think it is a bit heavy for a "portable" outboard if I was you i would go for the 10 or even the 8 which again are the same engine. Possibly about two grand but that includes engine controls. A new Honda 10 would transform your boat I reckon.

(PS sorry didn't see the bit about you having got a nearly new yamaha.)

Edited by Neil2

Don't worry Neil, it's all good advice and will be logged. The new Yamaha is a "short term" solution as we were finding ourselves with a boat we didn't dare take on the river Avon (and by implication below about Kintbury on the Kennet and Avon) and was a worry, last Sunday we didn't even want to take the boat to the Cross Guns at Avoncliffe, 2 miles along the canal. The Yamaha has solved that, but it may only be a one or two season solution, whilst we search for our ideal engine

Edited by magpie patrick

All Three! We're moored on the K and A but used to have a boat on the G and S and we'd love to take Juno there

I remember Ripple.

The wife is from Lydney & I would like to take the boat across but she is not so keen.

We spent a lot of time around the then virtually derelict docks when we were courting.

Steve