grand union

jeddy11

Featured Posts

The GU connects to the tidal Thames at Brentford and at Limehouse, to the Nene at Northampton, and to the Soar at Leicester.

Possible pedant alert ?

If you are going to count it as still the Grand Union at Limehouse, then shouldn't you also acknowledge there a connection to the River Lee, and ultimately via that to the River Stort! :rolleyes:

...plus there are several rivers used in the Grand Union itself. The nearest to Leighton is probably the River Bulborne where it joins at Berkhampstead, and the other way, the River Tove joins just below the Stoke Bruerne locks.

Mike

...plus there are several rivers used in the Grand Union itself. The nearest to Leighton is probably the River Bulborne where it joins at Berkhampstead, and the other way, the River Tove joins just below the Stoke Bruerne locks.

Mike

I that case you had better include the Rivers Chess, Colne and Brent!

Tim

I that case you had better include the Rivers Chess, Colne and Brent!

Tim

the River Gade also connects to the GU somewhere in Hemel, possibly near Two Waters.

I don't think the Frays and Pinn actually connect with the GU but the GU certainly passes over them at Cowley and West Drayton, and again on the Slough Arm. Someone here more knowledgable will probably put me right.

D

Hi i have a boat moored leighton buzzard and was wondering about where the canal connects to the river . Is there any maps which shows where the connections are if i ever wish to travel on the rivers...

thanks

I think jeddy11 might be regretting his slightly naive question :rolleyes:

If someone in the London area says "the river" I assume they mean the Thames. Presumably Liverpudlians mean the Mersey? Certainly Parisiens mean the Seine. Difficult to know what is in the mind of a Buzzard (Leightonian?) or whatever the inhabitant is known as.

Edited by Tam & Di

Haha quite right i was maybe thinking of the ouse that goes through bedford ? i heard there is a project to join milton keynes and bedford direct ? but northampton and the river nene looks the closest, i was thinking it must connect near northampton as I have seen boats at billing aquadrome and i only see river access ?

thanks

I think jeddy11 might be regretting his slightly naive question :rolleyes:

If someone in the London area says "the river" I assume they mean the Thames. Presumably Liverpudlians mean the Mersey? Certainly Parisiens mean the Seine. Difficult to know what is in the mind of a Buzzard (Leightonian?) or whatever the inhabitant is known as.

Haha quite right i was maybe thinking of the ouse that goes through bedford ? i heard there is a project to join milton keynes and bedford direct ? but northampton and the river nene looks the closest, i was thinking it must connect near northampton as I have seen boats at billing aquadrome and i only see river access ?

thanks

Yes you can get to the Ouse at Bedford. We've done it twice in the past 7 years (there are trip reports on my website) but it is a long long way. To Northampton, down the Nene to Peterborough, across the Middle Level (almost to Kings Lynn) and all the way up the Ouse to Bedford. After 2 or 3 weeks travelling you end up about 15 miles from where you started.