Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

That said, if it fits you budget, a lot of lada's did a great many miles!

- It might need the bottom and or waterline overplating, which is a bit of bodge, but better than it holeing thought the steel, and as i said, if it fits your budget, its better than no boat. Theres a great many still afloat on our system.

Danel

thanks, thing we need to have a closer look around! There do seem to be lots of Springers on the market and I wounder if its worth getting an olders boat that need some work rather than a Springer?

Paul.

That said, if it fits you budget, a lot of lada's did a great many miles!

- It might need the bottom and or waterline overplating, which is a bit of bodge, but better than it holeing thought the steel, and as i said, if it fits your budget, its better than no boat. Theres a great many still afloat on our system.

Danel

Hiya, sorry to jump in but I just wanted to say hi to the board...not only am I new to boating (or at least trying to be!) I'm also new to canalworld! The boards been recommended by people in the know as being really supportive and knowledgable... I hope it's true coz I'm off to ask a couple of questions that are holding me back!

:angry: Hope to chat to soome all all of you in time. Oli.

ok, so we think we have ruled a springer out! so my next question is we have seen some older boats that need some work, how difficult is to do things like replace windows and put in a solid wood stove!

paul.

thanks, thing we need to have a closer look around! There do seem to be lots of Springers on the market and I wounder if its worth getting an olders boat that need some work rather than a Springer?

Paul.

ok, so we think we have ruled a springer out! so my next question is we have seen some older boats that need some work, how difficult is to do things like replace windows and put in a solid wood stove!

paul.

Windows may cost a lot more than you think.

But do they actually need replacing ? It's usually possible to put new glass and or seals into old frames, so unless the frames are no good, this may be a much cheaper option, (and you know the resulting refurbished window is going to fit).

If you do need to replace the whole window, you MAY get lucky and find a ready made replacement that fits. If you get to having to have them custom built to match existing apertures, I think you'd be talking big money, (though I don't know exactly how big).

Don't install a solid wood stove - they catch alight, and can only be used the once :(

Seriously though, installation of a wood BURNING stove is a relatively easy DIY job, provided you are up to cutting required hole in roof. Don't underestimate how hot these get. You need to have tiling or similar with insulation behind extending to cover any lining etc close to the location. And you need a reasonable air gap from the tiling, and good separation from any unprotected wood or furniture.

Windows may cost a lot more than you think.

- But do they actually need replacing ?

- Seals/Glass can easly be replaced, etc.

Yes, geting a whole boats worth of custom made windows is going to cost.

- That said, ours are 15yo, and bar the slight degradation of the rubber (which were in the process of geting replacments for) look affectly as good as new. So its not a total waste of money. But worth roughly costing it up before you buy the baot!

Fitting a stove is fairly do-able, but as alan also says, they get very hot, and can be potentially dangous, so make shure you install it properly.

- Also, for somthing like a squiral morso stove, you looking at around £550, so although not stupidly expensive, its more than a new pair of shoes!

Daniel

Hello to all you canal boat people,

i am completely new to this whole concept of canal boats but would very much like to get into it. have spent the last few hours reading the blog of Jo Lodge, her partner and Paddy the dog aboard the Misty Lady. very entertaining. http://ladyjogearman.blogspot.com/

to get to the point: can anyone give me some tips/hints on how to go about getting a fairly basic long/narrow boat (around £30,000). i work in the southern hemisphere for about 7 months of the year, aerial photography, and would like to use the boat here in the uk for the remainder of the year (oct-feb) as a home and as a way of seeing our beautiful country.

i would also like to know about the pro's and cons of leasing it out for the uk summer.

also, (as if that is not enough ) what are the costs associated both with living on the canals and typical maintenance requirements?

any help that anyone can provide will be warmly welcome.

many thanks,

dave

the world is a bridge, build not your house upon it.

Edited by raggs

Hi

I'm Frank and I'm new to the narrowboat game but am currently looking to buy a boat. I've been looking at a 35 footer recently in Trowbridge direction. Also recently did Tony Brooks' diesel & boat maintenance course at TVU - great fun and very informative.

Hi

I'm Frank and I'm new to the narrowboat game but am currently looking to buy a boat. I've been looking at a 35 footer recently in Trowbridge direction. Also recently did Tony Brooks' diesel & boat maintenance course at TVU - great fun and very informative.

Hi Frank !

If it was very recently, (like just over a week ago), then we were on the same course ......

Welcome to the forum....

Alan

Guest beaujolais

Hi

2 very excited soon-to-be narrowboaters here. It was back in January as we were passing the K&A towards Bath and oohing at the boats that we said to ourselves, why not! Ever since we have been dreaming of the day when we have our own boat. Weekends spent walking the towpath, watching the boats, reading the mags and searching for a mooring.

We're still up at the canal at weekends and on warm summer evenings.

Now at long last it's all falling into place. Fingers crossed we will take delivery of our own nb before Christmas and we have a mooring at Newbury. This weekend we're off for a days helmsmans course, so more time on the water. We've done the hiring bit but then it's always been me at the helm, so a good opportunity now for Maggie to have her turn and me to work the locks, of course.

Looking forward to joining you all soon.

Rob & Maggie

Guest beaujolais

Hi Rob & Maggie... welcome! :captain:

The best of luck searching for your dream boat

Hi Liam

Thanks for the welcome. Our boat is on order and we expect delivery early December.

Maggie & Robert

Hi from Gill and John

We launched our 60' semi trad Phoenix on the 2nd Sept at Gayton and have now moved up to Wigram Turn. Phoenix is a self build that has taken me almost two years to get into the water. I have just become a member of you forum but have been a guest for around three years. So can I now say thank you for all the information you have given us as guests through the various forums. You may not have known it but you have helped me a lot. I only hope I can now pass on some of the things I have learnt to others. I look fowards to meeting many of you on the cut.

Thanks John & Gill NB Phoenix

Hi,

I'm Chris, and have just taken the plunge. Deposit paid on a 57' Cruiser Stern nb.

Is this quick or what? I did a one week cruise on the Oxford Canal about 30 years ago, and loved it. Then a 2 day cruise on the K&A 6 weeks ago gave me the bug, and I decided to spend the kid's inheritance.

Hours and hours since then have been researching, and looking at boats. Got a mooring lined up by being in the right place at the right time, then nearly bought a 70' trad. OOOPs Not yet perhaps. so walked away and saw the 57' which really caught my eye.

I've not owned anything bigger than a canoe before (My Dad built it in the Dining Room using Real Wood),but since then have always messed around on rivers, and love and respect the water.

A great discussion forum and already so useful. I'll be back

C

Hi,

I'm Chris, and have just taken the plunge. Deposit paid on a 57' Cruiser Stern nb.

Is this quick or what? I did a one week cruise on the Oxford Canal about 30 years ago, and loved it. Then a 2 day cruise on the K&A 6 weeks ago gave me the bug, and I decided to spend the kid's inheritance.

Hours and hours since then have been researching, and looking at boats. Got a mooring lined up by being in the right place at the right time, then nearly bought a 70' trad. OOOPs Not yet perhaps. so walked away and saw the 57' which really caught my eye.

I've not owned anything bigger than a canoe before (My Dad built it in the Dining Room using Real Wood),but since then have always messed around on rivers, and love and respect the water.

A great discussion forum and already so useful. I'll be back

C

Welcome to the forum Chris. It's down hill from now on but you will enjoy it!!! Didn't see the name of your boat but do keep posting your adventures.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

I've been hanging around the forum for the past few months but I've only just got round to joining up.

I've been out of work for a while and (in theory) I'm still trying to find gainful employment. On the other hand, I've worked out that I can just about afford to sell my flat, buy a boat and forget about working altogether.

On the "other" other hand, I don't want to get the moggies too soggy at the moment as the elder one has been quite ill for a few months, and it wouldn't be fair to expect her to live in a tin can before she's back on her feet.

I've already learnt a lot from hanging around in the background - perhaps it's time I came out of the shadows and started making a contribution to the proceedings.

Looking forward to making a nuisance of myself...

Tony

Hi everyone.

I've been hanging around the forum for the past few months but I've only just got round to joining up.

I've been out of work for a while and (in theory) I'm still trying to find gainful employment. On the other hand, I've worked out that I can just about afford to sell my flat, buy a boat and forget about working altogether.

On the "other" other hand, I don't want to get the moggies too soggy at the moment as the elder one has been quite ill for a few months, and it wouldn't be fair to expect her to live in a tin can before she's back on her feet.

I've already learnt a lot from hanging around in the background - perhaps it's time I came out of the shadows and started making a contribution to the proceedings.

Looking forward to making a nuisance of myself...

Tony

All cat lovers welcome. You will find that as long as they are bonded to you, they will take to boating easily.