Pump out tanks

Featured Posts

Can anyone see any issues with welding up 3 or 4 of the bays under the floor to use as a tank? Seems that we have all that space that just gets filled with ballast. Ultimately if you started with a 20mm base plate then you could use nearly all the area under the floor as fresh and waste water tanks?

Thanks

Tim

Can anyone see any issues with welding up 3 or 4 of the bays under the floor to use as a tank? Seems that we have all that space that just gets filled with ballast. Ultimately if you started with a 20mm base plate then you could use nearly all the area under the floor as fresh and waste water tanks?

Thanks

Tim

Where will you put the ballast then..?

Thanks

Tim

Hi

I assume it would be only 4" deep and the opportunity for blockages would be immense. Not a good idea IMHO

Alex

True, not a lot of ballast with a 20mm base plate, a token amount for trim. 10mm base plate on a 60ft boat is roughly 5 tons.

Would there really be an issues with sludge using a macerator type bog? Had one for 2 years and never had a sludge problem using a conventional tank under the bed. So apart from possible sludge any other potential issues?

Tim

I know its been done because I've seen one in a shell during building, it was at a yard at Norton Canes several decades ago. I don't know how well it worked, I wasn't very keen on the idea at the time but having a full width tank must have some advantages. Perhaps someone will see this and post some useful info.

I know its been done because I've seen one in a shell during building, it was at a yard at Norton Canes several decades ago. I don't know how well it worked, I wasn't very keen on the idea at the time but having a full width tank must have some advantages. Perhaps someone will see this and post some useful info.

The main advantage is having a constantly changing ballast spread evenly accross the boat, thanks for the info Mike.

Tim

The main advantage is having a constantly changing ballast spread evenly accross the boat, thanks for the info Mike.

Tim

The main disadvantage is that after about 15 years or less the tank rots out at the sides and/or top. When it does there is major work to remove, repair the hull and replace.

If you were to thoroughly prepare the insides including the top (by shot blasting) and epoxy coat with the right stuff you might prevent the problem, but to do this would be impracticable, and, given the limited depth, probably impossible.

N

Edited for spilling.

Edited by BEngo

Tim

You can have a full width tank without doing it like this though.

IIRC Bottle's (Keith's boat has one) - towards the rear in front of the engine compartment (again IIRC).

How much would a baseplate 20mm thick cost - more than a tank surely?

You can have a full width tank without doing it like this though.

IIRC Bottle's (Keith's boat has one) - towards the rear in front of the engine compartment (again IIRC).

How much would a baseplate 20mm thick cost - more than a tank surely?

About twice as much as a 10mm one :lol:

It would weigh around 10 tons on a 60 footish boat. Forgotten about the potential for rotting out. I'm looking at a boat that has the tank wrapped around the engine in the engine room. Only trouble is the layout is so poor that from the Engine room bulkhead forward needs ripping out and starting again in which the lav would be about 20 feet away. Suppose that's a seperate question on how far you can pump poo :unsure:

Currently living in a boat that has the tank down one side, I'm loathe to have another the same. The only layout that works means this road again unless I can get it under the floor or I can link 2 tanks. Don't know how successful that would be. Probably un!

Where will you put the ballast then..?

With a 20mm baseplate you probably wouldn't need any

The main disadvantage is that after about 15 years or less the tank rots out at the sides and/or top. When it does there is major work to remove, repair the hull and replace.

If you were to thoroughly prepare the insides including the top (by shot blasting) and epoxy coat with the right stuff you might prevent the problem, but to do this would be impracticable, and, given the limited depth, probably impossible.

N

Edited for spilling.

Apart from the shallowness issue it's surely no different to a Black Prince boat which has a giant poopeedoop tank integral to the hull. It has some sort of baffle plate thing in it to stop everything slopping about and affecting the ballast.

My boat is 14 years old. I'll let you know if next year the sides rot out and I drown in a colender of cess. :sick:

Edited by BlueStringPudding

With a 20mm baseplate you probably wouldn't need any

Apart from the shallowness issue it's surely no different to a Black Prince boat which has a giant poopeedoop tank integral to the hull. It has some sort of baffle plate thing in it to stop everything slopping about and affecting the ballast.

My boat is 14 years old. I'll let you know if next year the sides rot out and I drown in a colender of cess. :sick:

I thought the baffle was so that when the tank was officially full it overflowed the baffle into the side section which resulted in the boat starting to list and so alerting the hirer to the problem.

I thought the baffle was so that when the tank was officially full it overflowed the baffle into the side section which resulted in the boat starting to list and so alerting the hirer to the problem.

Interesting. That's not what I'd been told when I bought the boat. Not sure how that would work as the tank is the width and length of the double bed and the whole boat lists the opposite way when empty, gradually going the other way as it fills. No indication of when full till the loo backs up :sick:

But I'm not complaining, it was 12 months between pumpouts this time

Sanimarin claim up to 30 metres horizontal distance :huh:

I would have thought that if the tank is reasonably air tight, then corrosion wouldn't be too much of a problem

The tank would need a vent though so probably wouldn't be very airtight

Interesting. That's not what I'd been told when I bought the boat. Not sure how that would work as the tank is the width and length of the double bed and the whole boat lists the opposite way when empty, gradually going the other way as it fills. No indication of when full till the loo backs up :sick:

But I'm not complaining, it was 12 months between pumpouts this time

You sleep over twelve month old poo?? :o

Each to their own I suppose....

David

Like a fine wine, it improves with age. Try it on the nose; subtle fragrances reminiscent of camels and hyaenas come to mind.

O for a like button like Facebook has. :cheers:

That is what I was told by an owner of an ex Blackprince, it had 2 pumpout points

David

And you sleep over millions of gallons of dirty ditch water Weils disease and all. No doubt you enjoy carrying and slopping poo to a disgusting Elsan point.

Each to his own I suppose.

David

And what age of poo is acceptable to sleep over? Many pumpout tanks are under beds.

O for a like button like Facebook has. :cheers:

That is what I was told by an owner of an ex Blackprince, it had 2 pumpout points

Mine does but one is always empty even if the tank is so full that the loo has backed up. :unsure:

Edited by BlueStringPudding