propeller

Ally

Featured Posts

I am a great believer in everything that I can see and test, for the time being, I'm not interested in any magic performing props.

As soon as someone will come up with a prop that will turn all by its self, without the need for an engine using that ever more expensive liquid named dieselfuel, I will be first in the row (if I can afford) to buy one, until then, I'll go on with my actual props that are able to get me where I want to go.

Peter.

• Greenie 1

I am a great believer in everything that I can see and test, for the time being, I'm not interested in any magic performing props.

As soon as someone will come up with a prop that will turn all by its self, without the need for an engine using that ever more expensive liquid named dieselfuel, I will be first in the row (if I can afford) to buy one, until then, I'll go on with my actual props that are able to get me where I want to go.

Peter.

Here here,well said. Bizzard.

I am asking s a customer has asked about them. As we have never used them before, I was just wondering if anyone else had. If there was any 'live' feedback from them yet.

We've heard the ins and outs of the axiom, this looks a little different though.

No experience yet anyone?

Here here,well said. Bizzard.

Agreed

i am considering trying a new type of prop.

i have been given a broken ECO FAN,will affix it to my boat's shaft,and don goggles for the test cruise!

if 1-2 watts of electricity can generate enough motive force to circulate heat around a narrow boat,60 HORSE POWER of diesel might just cause a similar effect to WARP-DRIVE?

I am asking s a customer has asked about them. As we have never used them before, I was just wondering if anyone else had. If there was any 'live' feedback from them yet.

We've heard the ins and outs of the axiom, this looks a little different though.

Best to call Middlewich by the look of it

Richard

I made inquiries when we were fitting the barge but they never came back to us, despite a reminder, if that was there pre sales service one can only guess at after sales

What do you mean with "after sales service", as far as I know all those magic props have a valid warranty on them, until you fit them.

Peter.

I was recently talking to a BCF members so I think they were probably telling the truth as they saw it. He had a new Kingsgound boat and he specified a Powerstop prop. He said it cavitated so badly that it had to be taken off AND the cavitation pits were visible. cavitation was the one thing I feared about this prop design. He also alleged that the patterns for these props had be burnt in a fire or some such.

Anyway he then had the prop fitted made by the company who's proprietor threatened me at Crick so I can not report.

Sufficient to say the boater is very happy with the Vetus prop he now has.

Now this is only one second hand report and it may not be reliable but remembering the same company exhibited a flexible coupling that provided no radial/axial misalignment yet claimed it did the same job as an Aquadrive etc. on canal boats with metal shaft bearings maybe says something about their pre-launch research.

Let the buyer beware - can't spell caveat emptor!

Edited by Tony Brooks

It just looks wrong.

It's difficult to tell from the pics on the link what it actually looks like, but I imagine the blade to be a sort of 'flattened S' form across its width much as, AIUI, the Axiom blade is.

People will be wanting disc brakes on their boats next ;)

Tim

Edited by Timleech

It's difficult to tell from the pics on the link what it actually looks like, but I imagine the blade to be a sort of 'flattened S' form across its width much as, AIUI, the Axiom blade is.

People will be wanting disc brakes on their boats next ;)

Tim

as long as the discs are made of ceramics, because steeldiscs will not perform very well if they overheat under water.

Peter.

From the pics on their website its more like a conventional prop with a second bit stuck on its trailing edge. The second bit appears to have a reversed curve, and the transition between the two sections looks to be quite sharp, which is a great way to generate cavitation.

The Axiom is has a smooth, shallow "S" profile and a paddle shaped blade, and conventional props are a single curve.

I was recently talking to a BCF members so I think they were probably telling the truth as they saw it. He had a new Kingsgound boat and he specified a Powerstop prop. He said it cavitated so badly that it had to be taken off AND the cavitation pits were visible. cavitation was the one thing I feared about this prop design. He also alleged that the patterns for these props had be burnt in a fire or some such.

Anyway he then had the prop fitted made by the company who's proprietor threatened me at Crick so I can not report.

Sufficient to say the boater is very happy with the Vetus prop he now has.

Now this is only one second hand report and it may not be reliable but remembering the same company exhibited a flexible coupling that provided no radial/axial misalignment yet claimed it did the same job as an Aquadrive etc. on canal boats with metal shaft bearings maybe says something about their pre-launch research.

Let the buyer beware - can't spell caveat emptor!

Update.

I got a couple of photos yesterday

The Powerstop has a few random "pits" but the look nothing like cavtation pits to me. They are rust coloured and suggest to me iron inclusion in the bronze. Otherwise it looks in good condition.

The other prop (not the Vetus one) is showing brighter "polishing" marks across the end of the blade tips. Possibly caused bu spinning in mud and/or grit

Why all the negative and cynical attitudes? If Tony or anyone else has actually seen one in action or talked to others who have then they can actually give us some objective reviews, but as for everyone else.... you're just guessing and in that sense your negative comments are just as spurious as the positive claims of the manufacturers.

Perhaps you're all correct, but I'm sure the design of props has evolved somewhat since 1827 when the Austrian-Czech constructor Josef Ressel invented a screw propeller based on a section of the Archimedes screw.

The point is that probably 90% of the so-called improvements in mechanical engineering end up in the dustbin of history, but a few do work, so perhaps we should keep an open mind.

• Greenie 1

I have emailed the company who trialed them, but they so far seem disinclined to answer...maybe they see us as competitors, but as we don't hire boats out...... This is one of the sad things I find in the boating industry, so few companies are willing to share experiences or other such knowledge with each other...to my mind, there is space for most of us, we mostly have slightly different markets, inter business co-operation is usually a good thing, sadly few seem to agree.

I once spent quite some time doing a series of photo's etc of our inline extendable bed, at the request of another boat fitting co, and sent it all to them. They were stunned I had done it, having said I would, but we maintain a good relationship between us....tis sad more don't help fellow businesses....I understand the uniqueness we all want to keep, but if a company concept is specified by a customer....ah...maybe it's just me!! :rolleyes:

I have emailed the company who trialed them, but they so far seem disinclined to answer...maybe they see us as competitors, but as we don't hire boats out...... This is one of the sad things I find in the boating industry, so few companies are willing to share experiences or other such knowledge with each other...to my mind, there is space for most of us, we mostly have slightly different markets, inter business co-operation is usually a good thing, sadly few seem to agree.

I once spent quite some time doing a series of photo's etc of our inline extendable bed, at the request of another boat fitting co, and sent it all to them. They were stunned I had done it, having said I would, but we maintain a good relationship between us....tis sad more don't help fellow businesses....I understand the uniqueness we all want to keep, but if a company concept is specified by a customer....ah...maybe it's just me!! :rolleyes:

Why would they want to spend time doing another company's customer relations for them? Especially when the said company can't be bothered to respond? Perhaps if the product doesn't perform well they don't want to rubbish it, if they are getting a discount you are unlikely to get an unbiased opinion.

I emailed what I presume to be the same company, in a friendly-critical sort of way, about poor behaviour by some of their hirers, never had the courtesy of a response. Maybe they just don't answer emails unless from potential customers.

Tim

Why all the negative and cynical attitudes? If Tony or anyone else has actually seen one in action or talked to others who have then they can actually give us some objective reviews, but as for everyone else.... you're just guessing and in that sense your negative comments are just as spurious as the positive claims of the manufacturers.

Perhaps you're all correct, but I'm sure the design of props has evolved somewhat since 1827 when the Austrian-Czech constructor Josef Ressel invented a screw propeller based on a section of the Archimedes screw.

The point is that probably 90% of the so-called improvements in mechanical engineering end up in the dustbin of history, but a few do work, so perhaps we should keep an open mind.

I tend to agree with you but if a company is incapable of explaining it's products operation in simple terms that ordinary boaters are likely to understand then that naturally raises suspicions over the reason for that inability. These suspicions may be deepened if only empirical comparison and/or observations are given as justification for the claims made.

At that point we have to fall back on our own observations and such apparently relevant experience as we may have to try to explain what is claimed. If, at that point we can not make an apparent justification for the claims then suspicions are deepened further.

When I first saw the Powerstop the company expected me to either know the effects of "cupping" a prop or accept their statements. Now my inspection of the prop lead me to believe that the thickened training edge and the small radius this produced would, in effect, increase the pitch when in astern so maybe their claims about better stopping were true. However I felt the ridge may well cause an extra deep low pressure when in ahead so may cause cavitation. I simply did not know.

The report I posted seems to confirm my fears but it is only one report.

The manufacturer of the other prop that was changed has never explained their product to me in a way I could understand and my own experience with a Crowther prop at the time of introduction seemed to duplicate SOME of their claims. Now again this is far from scientific proof that the prop does not do what is claimed but it raises questions as does the report I posted.

When we are considering buying a premium priced product we need a bit of scepticism to prevent us being taken in and the larger the premium the more "proof" we are entitled to demand or expect. If it is lacking ....................

When we are considering buying a premium priced product we need a bit of scepticism to prevent us being taken in and the larger the premium the more "proof" we are entitled to demand or expect. If it is lacking ....................

Yes indeed. I certainly wouldn't consider buying one without a lot more evidence. Reasonable scepticism is good, but I'm just in favour of keeping an open mind until the manufacturer's claims are either substantiated or disproved.

Edited by blackrose