Proposals and the A34

hafren

Featured Posts

I want to propose to my wonderful other half next year. I have been desperately thinking of something that reflects us but is truly memorable.

This idea may seem ridiculous but due to strange co-incidences both my parents and my grandparents got engaged in laybys on the A34. We both like traditions and connections but I have to admit the A34 isn't quite what I'd envisaged! However over dinner with my best friend yesterday she suggested that perhaps being in sight of the A34 may allow a semi romantic tale to be connected whilst being in a far more romantic setting!

I'd quite like to surprise her with a romantic weekend on a canal boat. I have been a number of times before but she hasn't and it's very high on her holiday wish list. If this can combine with coming within spitting distance of the A34 so my tenuous romantic link can be brought out I would be happy that I'd found something memorable and a bit different!

Do any of you knowledgable souls happen to know whether the A34 meets a canal at any point? The Macclesfield canal looks like a good bet if I can find hire boats in the area....we both love the peaks so it would be a bonus...could you let me know? Any recommendations of beautiful stretches of canal in the area would also be v much appreciated!

Thank you!

H

The Oxford Canal at Oxford - goes under the A34 bypass. You could hire a boat from College Cruisers.

If I were you, I'd go for Anglo Welsh at Oxford Cruisers or even better, Oxfordshire Narrowboats at Heyford

More chance of actually getting to the bridge

Edited by Proper Job

But Mr. Job, if the purpose of the boat hire is for a proposal and a romantic interlude, a boat which breaks down some miles from anywhere would be the ideal conveyance, surely?

On our travels this summer we passed a College Cruiser which had broken down (near the Rock Of Gibraltar pub) but I didn't realise that they made a regular habit of it.

the conceit soc structure of the year!!!!

What an utterly delightful expression! Could we have nominations please.?I'll start with Simon Cowell's house (or one of them).

If you select one of the Oxford hire companies mentioned above, you could actually go under the A34 twice -- once on the Oxford Canal, and once on the Thames. You could do a little loop by going down to the end of the Oxford, out onto the river through Sheepwash Channel, under the A34, and back onto the canal via Dukes Cut. You'd need to buy a one day licence for the Thames (but I'm sure this would be a no expense spared trip!), and you'd get to do a couple of Thames Locks. Where Dukes Cut meets the Oxford Canal, is quite pretty apart from the sound of the A34, and might make a good proposal point.

A few more places where the A34 crosses a canal to add to your list, some really romantic places amongst these! :lol:

B&F Aston Flight

Top Pery Bar Flight

Birchills Junction W&S/Walsall

Weeping Cross S&W

Beside canal in Stone

T&M Hardings Wood

Princes St, Rochdale 9

As has been mentioned the A34 passes over the Thames downstream of Dukes Cut between Kings and Godstow Lock...

The Trout Inn Wolvercote is a nice place right on the river and 10mins walk from the flyover...

As it happens, I have a photo of the plaque on the A34 bridge just outside Newbury, complete with cement graffiti by objectors to the road.

Kennet%252520%252526%252520Avon%252520008.jpg

Beautiful. All the OP has to do is stop the boat next to that plaque, produce a red rose and say "Shall I compare thee to a rigid framed (inclined leg) pre-stressed concrete structure?"

Beautiful. All the OP has to do is stop the boat next to that plaque, produce a red rose and say "Shall I compare thee to a rigid framed (inclined leg) pre-stressed concrete structure?"

Is pre-stressed concrete that which has had a really rough life up until that point?

i think the old canal from oxford to swindon goes under the a34 just south of abingdon. i just happened to note a straight blue line on the sat nav and using google earth later it would appear to be in water and seemed to be in the right place. there are laybys around so you could park up and scramble down the embankment and do the deed in the culvert!

There is a horse drawn trip boat which operates from Kintbury.The crew are brilliant, they locked me through during a downpour earlier this year, first time someone has ever done that for me.They don't normally go further than a couple of locks but the towpath is still on the samd side as far as the bridge-might be worth talking to them.