Tunnel dodgems

Terence

Featured Posts

I’ve been told some funny tails about boating, but had a real belly laugh when I was told about two lovely ladies (first timers) travelling through Braunston Tunnel.

They collected the boat from the hire company and set off through the locks towards Braunston tunnel. When they entered the tunnel both ladies went into the cabin closing the doors behind them. The person telling me the tail said he followed the boat in and couldn’t believe it, as there boat bumped from side to side in the tunnel.

When they emerged from the other end the doors opened and out they came carrying on as it everything was fine.

He said when the appropriate moment came he explained the procedure to them and they felt a little embarrassed and commented that they thought it was quite a bumpy ride.

Oh hum.

Terence :wacko:

Guest Quo Vadis

I’ve been told some funny tails about boating, but had a real belly laugh when I was told about two lovely ladies (first timers) travelling through Braunston Tunnel.

They collected the boat from the hire company and set off through the locks towards Braunston tunnel. When they entered the tunnel both ladies went into the cabin closing the doors behind them. The person telling me the tail said he followed the boat in and couldn’t believe it, as there boat bumped from side to side in the tunnel.

When they emerged from the other end the doors opened and out they came carrying on as it everything was fine.

He said when the appropriate moment came he explained the procedure to them and they felt a little embarrassed and commented that they thought it was quite a bumpy ride.

Oh hum.

You mean there is another way? :rolleyes:

If you stayed on deck, you'd get all wet!

Once, as you do, I was waiting for our un-helmed (?) boat to chug out of a narrow lock to avoid having to walk back to the tiller. A passer by saw us and pointing at the vacant cockpit shouts "where's the captain then". "Oh he's there," I replied, "He's just very small."

You mean there is another way? :rolleyes:

If you stayed on deck, you'd get all wet!

You make a got point there. (Note to self stay inside, dry).

I'm only upset by there being no boat coming the other way. ;)

I suppose they thought keep within the profile of the boat meant go inside lol

:lol:

Terence

Oh hum.

Yes...I think we met them on one of our traverses of Braunston Tunnel this year. :o

We also met someone who said I should be turning my tunnel light* off as they approached, as it was common practice!

tunnel light*

Bog standard 55w Halogen spot lamp, pointed at roof of tunnel...not one of those plonky plonky boat huge searchlights, that point straight ahead :P

I steered Tawney Owl through the Netherton tunnel a couple of weeks ago

Talk about taking a zig zag path!

I only hit the side once though but for me it was a very tense half hour

In 1961 on Vesta we went through Gorsty and Netherton on one candle power.

Tip: Don't follow President into Netherton Tunnel by less than 20 minutes! :rolleyes:

Various friends have entered a tunnel, and either because of light failure (a drop of water onto the candle/lamp), or just because they didn't have one, went inside and let the boat find it's own way. Blisworth was one of the tunnels...

Mike

Oh hum.

and they May drive cars .bob

We were hit by a hire boat whilst going through the Bliswotrh Tunnel last Septempber, they were in the centre of the tunnel, whilst we were on the edge . They were busy taking photos as we could see the flashes,they hit us so hard it shot our boat up in the air, taking the top of the chimney off and puncturing the front box section on our boat. My grandaughter was terrified and screamed, it all happened so quickly we did not manage to get the name of the hire company.

We now carry high power torch and if it happens again we will be able to see names etc.

There was no apology,nothing,some hire boaters are so ignorant and have no idea of safe boating.

We were hit by a hire boat whilst going through the Bliswotrh Tunnel last Septempber, they were in the centre of the tunnel, whilst we were on the edge . They were busy taking photos as we could see the flashes,they hit us so hard it shot our boat up in the air, taking the top of the chimney off and puncturing the front box section on our boat. My grandaughter was terrified and screamed, it all happened so quickly we did not manage to get the name of the hire company.

We now carry high power torch and if it happens again we will be able to see names etc.

There was no apology,nothing,some hire boaters are so ignorant and have no idea of safe boating.

Given the bad viz. how do you know it was a hire boat - not a pop, rather a genuine question.

Given the bad viz. how do you know it was a hire boat - not a pop, rather a genuine question.

I didnt want to name 'names' however it was distinctive red and green with a certain type of 'flower' on it. As i said there were a lot of flashes going on and we had our lights on too :-) I should have said name of the boat as opposed to name of hire company.

Edited by i love my narrowboat

Once, as you do, I was waiting for our un-helmed (?) boat to chug out of a narrow lock to avoid having to walk back to the tiller. A passer by saw us and pointing at the vacant cockpit shouts "where's the captain then". "Oh he's there," I replied, "He's just very small."

I did that at Napton and one woman said to her friend "look it automatic"

This story goes around. IIRC I first read it in one of the books by the wartime trainee women.

Is that the same account where they crossed two planks through the back end rail to keep a better course?

I'm sure a Bolinder was involved in that one... It was described as a fume avoidance measure!

So why didn't you report it to the hire company, since you knew who they were?

And if you knew they weren't paying attention, couldn't you have given them a little blast with your horn?

Or a loud continuous blast followed by someone at the front of your boat yelling to move over you...