2 canal drownings

Boaty Jo

Featured Posts

Sadly another tragedy, two young lives lost, my thoughts go out to their parents, family and friends. I was born in Kingston Upon Hull, a fishing city and was brought up to respect the rivers and waterways, nether the less I still fell in countless times as a nipper, but I was lucky I had friends who helped me, some times whether high jinks or alcohol related, things like this do happen especially in the school holidays. Sometimes folks underestimate the dangers of water.

Bless them may the rest in peace.

How deep would it be round there? I thought most canals were about 4.5ft deep, unless they fell in a lock...

It's till possible to drown in 4.5 ft of water though especially if you go in and strike your head on something on the way in and concuss yourself.

But for both people to drown!

Tim

According to the Mail (and ignoring it's sensationalism) it seems the boy fell in and his girlfriend went in to try and save him.

Sad whatever the reasons

Tim

I agree - curious but still possible, till there is something more factual to go on it's probably not worth speculating as to exactly what happened.

Ed to add. - I'm also not sure joe public realises that standing up in a canal if you fall in can often be enough to save you from drowning and try to swim instead.

Not universally true of course - trying to stand up where I am moored at the mo (Castleford Cut on the A&C) will guarantee that you drown and swimming would be the better option.

their/there edit

Edited by MJG

Tim

Its very easy in that situation to panic and thrash about in the water rather than just stand up.

I know because that is exactly what I did when I fell in, even though everything I had read before hand advised to juststand up.

I agree - curious but still possible, till there is something more factual to go on it's probably not worth speculating as to exactly what happened.

The tabloids have the story today and are concentrating on the different cultural backgrounds of the couple.

The Star is saying - afaict it's the only one with this: "Pals said Fayz, 18, fell in trying to jump over the lock and 17-year-old Sara dived in to rescue him."

They are all quoting 20ft as the depth of the lock. The flight of three drops the water level 20ft from Wolverhampton to Birmingham level, but the height of the lock wall is a third of that plus six inches from groundlevel to full-lock-water-level plus depth of water in the empty lock, which is only six foot or so. No more than 13ft in total.

Very sad.