K2 valve oiler wicks

dcruk

Featured Posts

I have just received some worsted wool and copper wire to replace the pipe cleaners I had as wicks on the valve/rocker oilers. Has anyone any info on how many strands of wool and how long to make them?

Thanks, Dave

I have just received some worsted wool and copper wire to replace the pipe cleaners I had as wicks on the valve/rocker oilers. Has anyone any info on how many strands of wool and how long to make them?

Thanks, Dave

Without the original trimmings as patterns, there will be a degree of 'trial & error' - as a starter though, each of the trimmings on our K3 appear to be no more than a single strand of worsted and this seems to be about right - obviously, the trimmings will need to be long enough, and arranged accordingly, so that the drips are directed onto the lubrication points of each of the rockers. It is also important to keep an adequate length of the trimming material in the oil reservoir, two to three inches coiled round inside the bottom of the reservoir will ensure a good pick up and help to stop the trimmings from becoming dislodged or moving as a result of vibration.

As the oil will syphon through with or without the engine running it is easily possible to remove one of the rocker covers, set up the drips and observe the results without the engine running. My own preference is for a generous oil supply - equivilent to draining the oil reservoirs completely over a period of 24 hours.

Without the original trimmings as patterns, there will be a degree of 'trial & error' - as a starter though, each of the trimmings on our K3 appear to be no more than a single strand of worsted and this seems to be about right - obviously, the trimmings will need to be long enough, and arranged accordingly, so that the drips are directed onto the lubrication points of each of the rockers. It is also important to keep an adequate length of the trimming material in the oil reservoir, two to three inches coiled round inside the bottom of the reservoir will ensure a good pick up and help to stop the trimmings from becoming dislodged or moving as a result of vibration.

As the oil will syphon through with or without the engine running it is easily possible to remove one of the rocker covers, set up the drips and observe the results without the engine running. My own preference is for a generous oil supply - equivilent to draining the oil reservoirs completely over a period of 24 hours.

Thanks Graham, will have a play with things when I get the heads back on, Dave

PS if anyone want some wool and wire I have slightly more than I need so just ask!

Edited by dcruk

Thanks Graham, will have a play with things when I get the heads back on, Dave

PS if anyone want some wool and wire I have slightly more than I need so just ask!

I've still got pipe cleaners in my K2 (put in by Seaward Eng when they did the rebuild before I got it!).

Having been got at a while ago by Graham for still having them (also for telling him that on the Water Lily saga I took out what I thought were those silly bits of wool in her K3 and replaced them with pipe cleaners!), I really must do as you have.

Therefore if you could let me have some of your spare wool and wire I'd be happy to share the cost of your original purchase.

Will pm address details if you agree.

Richard

I've still got pipe cleaners in my K2 (put in by Seaward Eng when they did the rebuild before I got it!).

Having been got at a while ago by Graham for still having them (also for telling him that on the Water Lily saga I took out what I thought were those silly bits of wool in her K3 and replaced them with pipe cleaners!), I really must do as you have.

Therefore if you could let me have some of your spare wool and wire I'd be happy to share the cost of your original purchase.

Will pm address details if you agree.

Richard

PM me your address and you can have some, if as Graham says one strand is enough, then I probably have enough quite easily for all the K engines on the canal system!

Hi

I like grahams testing for flow but i have found that when running the oil in the pot warms up and I would suggest flows faster as a result so be prepared to adjust the flow "on the move" by tightening the wire twists. I know you lads are talking K's and may be running cooler, my experience of this is with my J, which i can control the temp' of and run at 130/140F which does get the rocker cover hot.

david

• 1 year later...

Yes. I use one strand of worsted doubled over held to shape by some 28 SWG copper locking wire and (when I make new ones) adjust the flow by twisting the wire until each pot-full will last about 12 hours when cold (rocker cover off and dripping onto a newspaper) and so that the two oily patches on the paper are much the same size. As Graham says, allow a good length of tail in the oil pot.

In use the flow rate does increase as the oil warms up (in my case to about 8-9 hours per pot) and it's a good idea to check from time to time that the pots continue to empty at the same rate. It is not unknown for one hole to stop feeding but the other wick to continue so that every morning the pot is empty but one rocker bush will be un-oiled and wearing out faster.

N

PM me your address and you can have some, if as Graham says one strand is enough, then I probably have enough quite easily for all the K engines on the canal system!

I know this thread is a couple of years' old, but have you supplied your entire stock of wool to the cut, yet?

• 4 weeks later...

Yes. I use one strand of worsted doubled over held to shape by some 28 SWG copper locking wire and (when I make new ones) adjust the flow by twisting the wire until each pot-full will last about 12 hours when cold (rocker cover off and dripping onto a newspaper) and so that the two oily patches on the paper are much the same size. As Graham says, allow a good length of tail in the oil pot.

In use the flow rate does increase as the oil warms up (in my case to about 8-9 hours per pot) and it's a good idea to check from time to time that the pots continue to empty at the same rate. It is not unknown for one hole to stop feeding but the other wick to continue so that every morning the pot is empty but one rocker bush will be un-oiled and wearing out faster.

N

Hi again!

Is it simply a matter of lying the copper wire alongside the wool, and then taking each end and twisting the whole thing together?

Best regards,

Stuart

The wire is there just so that you can thread the wool into the oil way. I have about an inch and a half of wire-stiffened wick and about the same length coiled into the oil well. As others have said the reservoir needs refilling after about eight hours.

The wire is there just so that you can thread the wool into the oil way. I have about an inch and a half of wire-stiffened wick and about the same length coiled into the oil well. As others have said the reservoir needs refilling after about eight hours.

Many thanks for that! I just had a vision of the wire being spiralled around the wool, because a few had mentioned 'tightening the twist' to adjust flow rate?

I've been looking at this http://www.blackeryarns.co.uk/pure-black-leicester-longwool-worsted-spun-dk-yarn.html

for wicks, is this about right for the job?

Many thanks for that! I just had a vision of the wire being spiralled around the wool, because a few had mentioned 'tightening the twist' to adjust flow rate?

I've been looking at this http://www.blackeryarns.co.uk/pure-black-leicester-longwool-worsted-spun-dk-yarn.html

for wicks, is this about right for the job?

Bend the wire into a hairpin shape. Lay the strand(s) of wool into the hairpin. Cross the legs of the hairpin over the wool (left over right). Pull the wool back into the crossover. Cross the legs over the wool (Left over right). Repeat until the wired bit is long enough. Twist it clockwise at the loose ends to tighten if the flow is too fast.

N

N

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I know this thread is not recent but have just replaced the wicks on my K3. They were made up for me by Dick Goble. However, no 1 is still not draining down anywhere near as much as the other two. In fact, it leaks from around the base where the pot is bolted down (the others don't) so should empty quicker! Naturally, I ensured that the feed holes down to the rockers were clear with the oil pot off using the wire so am somewhat stumped! I am going to make a gasket to stop the oil from leaking around the rocker cover but this won't of course change the fact that it's not draining down as it should.

Any ideas/comments much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

What I spoke to AdamsLube for new wicks for the oilers on the boat, they said the postage would wipe out any point in them shipping them, but they are not intended to have the wicks changed and the whole Oiler is only £7!

As we only have three, one was cracked and taped up, and another weeping around the crimped edge, I figured that maybe 23 years service wasnt bad and somewhat reluctantly measured what thread ours where and ordered three new ones. Not opened them yet and I am not at home, but I will look at the wicks when I open them and compare what I find with the above and what I have done in the past!

Daniel