Wisbech to Middle Levels

wandering snail

Featured Posts

Having to return for a while. Snail will be put in at Wisbech in November, heading then to a mooring on the Middle Level. Any problems we should think about with this plan?

Others will know the middle levels better than me, but I think it will depend at least in part on the size of "Snail", especially draught and headroom. Of course, if you've taken her to the Middle Level before, and know she will fit, you won't have a problem.

Having to return for a while. Snail will be put in at Wisbech in November, heading then to a mooring on the Middle Level. Any problems we should think about with this plan?

The Wisbech Canal connecting Wisbech to the Old River Nene was abandoned in 1926 and filled in completely in the 1970s??

David

:unsure:

The Wisbech Canal connecting Wisbech to the Old River Nene was abandoned in 1926 and filled in completely in the 1970s??

David

:unsure:

We're going on the tidal river Nene which will we hope not be in flood conditions leaving it so late, to Dog in a Doublet. Snail's been on the Mid. Levels before so hopefully no probs. with size.

It would make more sense to have the boat put in at Foxes in March. The tidal river Nene in November is no place for small underpowered springer like the 'Snail'.

Firesprite

In the Office

It would make more sense to have the boat put in at Foxes in March. The tidal river Nene in November is no place for small underpowered springer like the 'Snail'.

Firesprite

In the Office

Mmm. Unfortunately Snail weighs in at 26 tons which Fox's can't manage and Snail is a full length nb with a 65hp engine and 22"x22" prop. Underpowered she is not :excl:

Mmm. Unfortunately Snail weighs in at 26 tons which Fox's can't manage and Snail is a full length nb with a 65hp engine and 22"x22" prop. Underpowered she is not :excl:

Its not often you find two boats of the same name in the same area, The other snail is a 23ft springer, But I do known that tidal river Nene in November is a unpleasant trip for my boat, thats only 48ft with a 52 HP and a 17" prop. Current can be running anything up to ten knots and the mooring at Guyhirn is closed due to stability issues until further notice.

Best person to speak to is Roy Smith 07714 064034 as its his patch.

tidal lock Dog-in-a-Doublet needs to have prior arrangement booking through the Kettering Office (01536 517721

Normally foxes bring in a crane when the weight is over 16tons, They handled boats of this size before including full fitted broad beams. They must have to much on at the moment. They making a hell of a racket in the workshop at the moment.

Also Tina's day off is Tuesday

Firesprite

In the wilds of the Fens

Edited by nbfiresprite

Its not often you find two boats of the same name in the same area, The other snail is a 23ft springer, But I do known that tidal river Nene in November is a unpleasant trip for my boat, thats only 48ft with a 52 HP and a 17" prop. Current can be running anything up to ten knots and the mooring at Guyhirn is closed due to stability issues until further notice.

Best person to speak to is Roy Smith 07714 064034 as its his patch.

tidal lock Dog-in-a-Doublet needs to have prior arrangement booking through the Kettering Office (01536 517721

Normally foxes bring in a crane when the weight is over 16tons, They handled boats of this size before including full fitted broad beams. They must have to much on at the moment. They making a hell of a racket in the workshop at the moment.

Firesprite

In the wilds of the Fens

And we thought we had a unique name.

Thank you for this info. We will pick our time carefully!Wisbech was cheaper than Fox's as their cranes are already in situ on the docks!

And we thought we had a unique name.

Thank you for this info. We will pick our time carefully!Wisbech was cheaper than Fox's as their cranes are already in situ on the docks!

There are several "Snails" but yours is the only Wandering one that I know of.

Edit to add

Jim Shead lists 4 Snails 6 Snail's pace but only 1 Wandering Snail

Edited by ditchcrawler

There are several "Snails" but yours is the only Wandering one that I know of.

Edit to add

Jim Shead lists 4 Snails 6 Snail's pace but only 1 Wandering Snail

The 23ft springer "Wandering Snail" was moored in Foxes number of years and was sold on 2 or 3 years back.

'Jim Shead' list is incomplete and many boats are not listed, including my own.

Firesprite

In der Fatherland