Rather Nice Looking "Tug Style" For Sale

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I often get told off for criticising the more "flamboyant" features of the "top end" new build boats.

I don't know this boat, and shame there are not more pictures, but it does look a rather nice antidote to some of the excesses that people now consider essential......

Apollo Duck Link

Built in 1991 by Les Allen, Dudley retains a simple honesty, seldom seen in modern boats.

Yeah - Well it certainly isn't like some recent "Best of Show" winners is it - despite the company name painted on the side ? :lol:

Anyone know this boat, (I'm guessing it's a forum member's ad ?), and what it's like inside, (it does say back cabin is unfitted).

Doesn't look a bad deal for a Les Allen boat to me, and from that picture it is more pleasing to my eye than many of the modern "Josher bows" "replicas".

.............But I have too many boats already, people tell me! :lol:

• Greenie 3

I often get told off for criticising the more "flamboyant" features of the "top end" new build boats.

I don't know this boat, and shame there are not more pictures, but it does look a rather nice antidote to some of the excesses that people now consider essential......

Apollo Duck Link

Yeah - Well it certainly isn't like some recent "Best of Show" winners is it - despite the company name painted on the side ? :lol:

Anyone know this boat, (I'm guessing it's a forum member's ad ?), and what it's like inside, (it does say back cabin is unfitted).

Doesn't look a bad deal for a Les Allen boat to me, and from that picture it is more pleasing to my eye than many of the modern "Josher bows" "replicas".

Is that the boat with the crankshaft problems described on here?

If so the 'good all-round access for servicing' might be needed, :o , though doing the crank on an HA2 isn't a massive job.

Agreed more pleasing to the eye than some newer 'replicas' etc.

Tim

Is that the boat with the crankshaft problems described on here?

If so the 'good all-round access for servicing' might be needed, :o , though doing the crank on an HA2 isn't a massive job.

???????

I don't think so, is it ?

This is "Dudley", the name in the thread I think you may be thinking of it "Tipton" ??

Perhaps it is the BCN connection in boat naming that is causing some confusion, I'm not at all sure. :rolleyes:

???????

I don't think so, is it ?

This is "Dudley", the name in the thread I think you may be thinking of it "Tipton" ??

Perhaps it is the BCN connection in boat naming that is causing some confusion, I'm not at all sure. :rolleyes:

Sorry, my mistake, I only asked (in haste!)

Tim

Ignore them Alan. Two is a perfectly sensible number of boats to have. In fact think there is quite a good case for owning three! I'd like a nice classic timber boat next :-)

I've been recently drooling over this:

http://motorboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=127832

I'm pretty certain this boat was moored next to us on the Thames at Windsor back in the late 1970s and she is a beauty.

I've said this before but I'm still amazed that people list boats on the Duck with just the one photo - surely if you are serious about selling in the current climate you need to put some effort in - at least a few internal shots surely??

I've said this before but I'm still amazed that people list boats on the Duck with just the one photo - surely if you are serious about selling in the current climate you need to put some effort in - at least a few internal shots surely??

I agree......

It also frustrates me when people do post maybe 10 or 12 pictures, maybe showing intimate detail of what a Squirrel stove or a morse control lever looks like, and only one of the outside, not necessarily gining any real idea of the aesthetics of the boat.

We are all different, I know, but if a boat isn't to my taste outside, I'm not really interested in progressing to the inside.

"Tiggers" - if you are watching - more photos of "Dudley", please!

"A simple honesty" could be advertese for "basic and not very comfortable fit-out".

A puzzling feature of this (externally handsome) boat is that she carries William Piper Boats' name. They are already well-known for their rustic fit-ots using aged reclaimed wood, which polarise people's opinions (I love them). Yet they are not mentioned as having fitted this one, and the back cabin has not been fitted at all.

Curioser and curioser.

It is Tiggers' boat. I had a good look at it yesterday. Nice old Lister, boatman's cabin was removed by WP and they never got round to putting in a new one so that bit is simply lined out. Using the "finger and thumb" in the canal method I suspect it is at least an 8mm base plate that appears from feel to have been "reshoed", i.e. a new sacrificial bottom strake attached at some point. Lot's of character as Les Allen's have, and sounds great.

Downside: owner is a Spurs supporter.

Hello all. Firstly, it has William Piper on the back as I used to work for them (and surely that is the only reason you SHOULD put a companies name on the back).

I see your point about only putting one picture, and I had intended on putting more up shortly, but I have had 3 calls already today to come and see her. If anyone else would like to come see her, if only to be nosey, I am in Braunston and will be all day tomorrow too.

It is absolutely breaking my heart selling her, but I have a rather nice working boat on her way, and alas, I cant look after both.

P.S.

No problems with the crankshaft, she is running as sweet as anything! Oh and Alan, would be more than happy to swap her with Sickle ;)

It is Tiggers' boat. I had a good look at it yesterday. Nice old Lister, boatman's cabin was removed by WP and they never got round to putting in a new one so that bit is simply lined out. Using the "finger and thumb" in the canal method I suspect it is at least an 8mm base plate that appears from feel to have been "reshoed", i.e. a new sacrificial bottom strake attached at some point. Lot's of character as Les Allen's have, and sounds great.

Downside: owner is a Spurs supporter.

Cheeky sod....

Photos cost money.

On B&O I put a link to a photobucket slideshow but on Apollo Duck you are not allowed external links (on free ads) so I just put my email address, for more photos, and reply with the link.

Yes I know that..

I had over 1000 hits on my slideshow, of the lifeboat, and the eventual buyer made an offer based on the 100 or so photos he could see, before viewing the boat.

Most paid ads limit you to 12 photos or less so you can never show every detail of the boat.

Are you prepared to say what is replacing it, then ?

I would rather not say too much until I have picked her up (which will be once Dudley is sold), but she's a small woolwich which has been made into a VERY nice tug, one that I have admired for a number of years. Wooden bottom and cabin, rather nice JP2, basically the boat I have dreamt of for quite some time. Rather excitable at the moment!

I would rather not say too much until I have picked her up (which will be once Dudley is sold), but she's a small woolwich which has been made into a VERY nice tug, one that I have admired for a number of years. Wooden bottom and cabin, rather nice JP2, basically the boat I have dreamt of for quite some time. Rather excitable at the moment!

Aw come on.....

You won't be needing Sickle, then, will you!

Good luck - I hope it all goes smoothly.

You have given too many clues here as I have sussed it. I have also admired this boat since I first saw it some two years after its conversion.