wet room

Ally

Featured Posts

We have been asked to fit a wet room in one of our future builds....a narrowboat, but it is a walk through bathroom that is wanted, not a 'corridor' bathroom.

This means it will have 2 doors, one fore, one aft.

Has anyone got anything like this in their boat, and if so, how is it set up so there can be no leakage via the through doors, especially the aft one. There would need to be some 'drop' on the floor to the drain, is the whole floor slightly sloped or just a small area?

Not sure if this has been done on a walk-through bathroom before or not, or even if it can be done....always up for a challenge though!

Any experiences?

Why not have a dry room,and scrub with carbon tetra chloride like they use at dry cleaners and for cleaning snooker tables.

A wet room sounds horrid.Have to wade through it in Wellies?. The centre walk through bathrooms were used a few years ago.My old Harborough Marine boat had one,shower on one side,bog on the other.It didn't get very wet though as i'd stretch a towel on the floor to walk about on. Hope this is useful. bizzard

It wouldn't be my choice personally, but for a bespoke build..............

We need to look into the potential of it thoroughly before we say yaye or naye!

Yes of course,,you must deal with it one way or another.

I suppose a hinge up false floor over the well to avoid keep stepping over a shoulder when not in use would be needed.And the attitude of most boats is 'slope towards the stern end',draining in that direction would be sensible. Or watertight doors on either side like a submarine. Bath's at waist height are good and drain straight over the side and no drain pumps involved.you need a little ladder to get in and out though.Good storage underneath.

I'll draw up a nice plan for you at no charge. :closedeyes:

We have been asked to fit a wet room in one of our future builds....a narrowboat, but it is a walk through bathroom that is wanted, not a 'corridor' bathroom.

Has anyone got anything like this in their boat, and if so, how is it set up so there can be no leakage via the through doors, especially the aft one. There would need to be some 'drop' on the floor to the drain, is the whole floor slightly sloped or just a small area?

Not sure if this has been done on a walk-through bathroom before or not, or even if it can be done....always up for a challenge though!

Any experiences?

What your asking has been done on this famous boat here http://www.fernwooddesigns.co.uk/photogallerynew.php?al=8

WHITEFIELD---00381.jpg

As the boat more than likely will slope to the stern having two drains port and starboard could be just needed.

I'm also looking at having a wet room, and I'm also still researching.

What your asking has been done on this famous boat here http://www.fernwooddesigns.co.uk/photogallerynew.php?al=8

WHITEFIELD---00381.jpg

As the boat more than likely will slope to the stern having two drains port and starboard could be just needed.

I'm also looking at having a wet room, and I'm also still researching.

That looks fab but not practical, you would end up having to clean the door walls and blinds everytime you had a shower as the water hits your head and goes out to the sides it would leave soap and scum where you dont want it.

That looks fab but not practical, you would end up having to clean the door walls and blinds everytime you had a shower as the water hits your head and goes out to the sides it would leave soap and scum where you dont want it.

If the bog was sited under the shower rose you could do everything at once,for those in a hurry.

Any experiences?

Hang on a few days, You be able to watch Alan Herd (Tommy`s Sidekick) do it on Narrowboat Dover, as its repeated again on Quest

Firesprite

In the wet and windy Fens

I looked at it as a possibility for our boat but eventually ruled it out due to packaging problems (we have a 40' boat that sleeps 5). The basic design used a very large domestic shower tray as the floor. I was then going to use aquapanel for the bulkhead and floor lining then join them with waterproof tape. Over that I was going to use tiles that would be grouted with silicon.I also thought of making a fibre glass floor liner that went part way up the walls and overlapping the aquapanel. I was going to use a Thetford cassette toilet and access the cartridge from the corridor - they are designed for wet rooms in caravans. I thought about using caravan access panel /doors to make the cupboard doors. These include a seal and are available from CAK tanks so you can add extra storage lockers into the outside of your caravan. The bathroom door was a problem that I hadn't go round to solving.

The possibility of leaks and the subsequent rot was a major concern and that along with packaging issues meant that I went for a more conventional design.

Wet rooms (cupboards) are common in many caravans and I believe that Sea Otter used to do a wet room type of bathroom with a custom moulded floor.

Edited by Chalky

Wet rooms don't really 'float my boat' but if one is desired: what about sinking the floor level into a tray to allow water drainage and then covering the whole area with a porous material like duckboarding? This would allow the same height when traversing the boat but allow the depth for extracting water. The 'boarding' could be very close together for easy walking, since water gets through holes quickly, yet it could be easily removable for cleaning.

Just an idea - my experiences of a wet room are of a poky room where everything gets wet, not nice imo.

John

hmm...some food for thought so far....keep any thoughts coming though please! We are going to a 'wet room' training session next week, so will learn the systems meant for houses....but it i primarily the door areas that are really concerning to me, especially for a walk through bathroom, ie no side corridor.........

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Please keep going with any thoughts and/or experiences!

Thanks so far!

Not to mention Dave Mayall and MJG running through it in an emergency trying to get to the anchor.

hmm...some food for thought so far....keep any thoughts coming though please! We are going to a 'wet room' training session next week, so will learn the systems meant for houses....but it i primarily the door areas that are really concerning to me, especially for a walk through bathroom, ie no side corridor.........

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks so far!

Watch the film ''Das Boot''for all your wet room ideas especially watertight doors. bizzard.

hey, the way they get through the officers mess..

I keep meaning to rewatch that with surround sound the soundtrack is awesome when listened to in a narrow boat.

Should be good. Dive!Dive!Dive!.

And the afore mentioned all colliding on the way to their posts. he he.he.

If you can make stainless steel water tanks could you make a stainless steel wet room? Might look a bit clinical (morgue comes to mind) but it wouldn't leak.

Or just install my home made bankside self contained Turkish bath run off a pressure cooker,cheap as chips.bizzard

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks so far!

If the doors overhang the 'tray' then there should be no water getting through to the next room, at least it didn't in the boat that I experienced. Water does get everywhere else though! How are you going to keep the towels dry unless the room is very large? A glass enclosure or shield shield wall between the shower and the rest of the room seems to be more sensible to me.

John

Recently viewed 2 boats with wet rooms, one walk through one corridor which morphed full width of boat use of very clever doors, both offered space, and a very practical solution my thoughts are the whole room was watertight and all damp condensates to floor level and runs away to pump, damn good, take a look at Alvechurch boat sales Rohan, (just sold ) an amazingly clever boat throughout, self build by a true engineer.

We will also build a wet room, it just ticks our box. The challenge is on regards Martin

Recently viewed 2 boats with wet rooms, one walk through one corridor which morphed full width of boat use of very clever doors, both offered space, and a very practical solution my thoughts are the whole room was watertight and all damp condensates to floor level and runs away to pump, damn good, take a look at Alvechurch boat sales Rohan, (just sold ) an amazingly clever boat throughout, self build by a true engineer.

We will also build a wet room, it just ticks our box. The challenge is on regards Martin

Which boat was the walk through? can you remember the name and where it was please?

Papermaker has the original Colcraft wet room style from 1986 a shower in the corner of the bathroom with the pump on a little sump poking through the bottom of the boat and floorboards within a shower tray made out of steel 2 ft square. there is nowt new on the cut. Full width bathroom with two doors one to the engine room one to the bedroom no coridor. coridores are a wast of space we didn't have them in our barge.

Based on experience of many a hotel room, a wetroom doesn't need to be entirely open to the water splash. Think walk-in shower instead and you may come up with a viable proposition. Long ago I delivered a boat up the Peak Forest that was adapted for wheelchair use. It had a layout that put the loo and shower opposite each other with a centre corridor, but the doors opened in such a way that that section of the boat could be enclosed to make a full width bathroom containing both of them. Something along those lines with a full height shower screen just inside the 'corridor' line, entered from a fore/aft direction would allow the majority of shower water to be captured under floor level in the screened area but allow the space of the wetroom. Get really clever with the door dimensions and the loo could also be used without blocking fore to aft access.