Llangollen trip

Teakbank12

Featured Posts

Hi all

Any updates for the Llangollen?

We are doing our first trip on this stretch of water, starting out from Acton Bridge on Friday for a fortnight.

Have a crew onboard with big appetites too!! So will be on the lookout for restocking with meat & veg, also don't mind trying a pub or two.

This will be our last trip as we've sold our share & will be boatless for the forseable future due to other commitments..we had our first grandson born last weekend :)

Congratulations on the Grandchild. You will enjoy the Llangollen this time of year. Best places for restocking are Whitchurch and Ellesmere.

Good pubs for food on the way, best meat pie at "The Telford" though I have not been for 2 years so things could have changed. Oh yes "The Cotton Arms" at Wrenbury very good for food.

Hi all

We are doing our first trip on this stretch of water, starting out from Acton Bridge on Friday for a fortnight.

Have a crew onboard with big appetites too!! So will be on the lookout for restocking with meat & veg, also don't mind trying a pub or two.

This will be our last trip as we've sold our share & will be boatless for the forseable future due to other commitments..we had our first grandson born last weekend :)

Ellesmere.

Red Lion. (not the Black Lion, which is a perfectly passable establishment, but doesn't come close to the Red Lion)

You may try to find pubs via the link below - ite reasonably up to date although any refreshes would be very welcome for the benefit of all

Sorry to appear in any way negative, but that site gives VERY little more than a list of pubs.

Any fool can find that a pub exists simply by going for a wander. If a pub site is to have any use, it needs to be much more informative, much more focused on customer reviews, and much easier to search for pubs based on user selected criteria.

I

We went in the Coton Arms at Wrenbury this summer, and were sadly disappointed with the food. The Dusty Miller was actually much better.

The pies at the Telford are still very good indeed (but the beer is better and cheaper down in the village)

We had an excellent meal at Jack Myttons (expensive but well worth it).

For the first time we took a walk into Marbury where we had a good meal at the Swan which was under new ownership.

There are a few small shops for restocking, but be aware that the excellent farm shop at Whixall Moss has closed (as has the pub at Platt Lane)

We went in the Coton Arms at Wrenbury this summer, and were sadly disappointed with the food. The Dusty Miller was actually much better.

It is, of course, comparing apples and oranges.

One is a cheap and cheerful campsite pub, the other a reasonably posh eatery.

Sorry to appear in any way negative, but that site gives VERY little more than a list of pubs.

Any fool can find that a pub exists simply by going for a wander. If a pub site is to have any use, it needs to be much more informative, much more focused on customer reviews, and much easier to search for pubs based on user selected criteria.

My original idea was to produce a guide that showed all the possible details including real ales served and the current menu with a history of the pub

Most readers will appreciate the time that it takes to merely keep on top of one canal (the Macclesfield Canal pubs changed considerably bewteen my last two visits) so now the aim is to provide info that the pub is still there, its contact details and whether it does food including a map so readers can see how far from the cut it is. The current canal guides are falling out of date from publication date and on-line at leasts allows near instant updates to be made

It is, of course, comparing apples and oranges.

One is a cheap and cheerful campsite pub, the other a reasonably posh eatery.

In the past that would have been true, and we have always preferred the Coton Arms in the past, but this year it was neither cheap nor cheerful. The price of food was almost identical between the two pubs, and the quality and quantity in the Miller were far far better. The service in the Coton Arms left much to be desired and certainly couldn't be described as "cheerful".

In the past that would have been true, and we have always preferred the Coton Arms in the past, but this year it was neither cheap nor cheerful. The price of food was almost identical between the two pubs, and the quality and quantity in the Miller were far far better. The service in the Coton Arms left much to be desired and certainly couldn't be described as "cheerful".

Spot on. We called in a few weeks back and the fish and chips at almost a tenner were dire. The beer was good. So if I'm that way again its a few jars in the Coton and the meal and glass of wine (due to it being Robinsons) in the Dusty.

That is a shame is one of my favourite pubs. Has the landlord changed recently? He did the cooking, trying to think of his name (age thing)

If you want to time travel, try the Willeymoor next to the lock of that name. Like going back 30 years.

Everything came with chips & peas - those big flattish chips that are made from powdered potato. Beer came in dimpled glasses (or 'jugs' as they used to be called).

No credit or debit cards accepted.

Various members of the family sitting around, giving the impression of sitting in someone's front room.

Based on our visit about a year ago.

If you want to time travel, try the Willeymoor next to the lock of that name. Like going back 30 years.

Everything came with chips & peas - those big flattish chips that are made from powdered potato. Beer came in dimpled glasses (or 'jugs' as they used to be called).

No credit or debit cards accepted.

Various members of the family sitting around, giving the impression of sitting in someone's front room.

Based on our visit about a year ago.

Yes, a very similar experience. I noticed a 'reserved' card on one of the tables - this is for the landlord's mother in law! However, when she went to bed the atmosphere took a lift to being warm and friendly.

Edited by plainsman

Hi all

restock food at ellesmere big Tescos right along side canal

regards

Yes, a very similar experience. I noticed a 'reserved' card on one of the tables - this is for the landlord's mother in law! However, when she went to bed the atmosphere took a lift to being warm and friendly.

Just to put the record straight. If you look above the door you will see that she is the Landlady (her husband) changed it from a lock keepers cottage to firstly a restaurant and then a pub. The guy you think is the landlord is her son and both his wife and sister also work there. I must say I have always found the food good for the price, and the quality of the beer is always well recommended. I must say I am amazed now that the cheque card has become redundant that debit card technology has still not caught up with them.

The beer was good. So if I'm that way again its a few jars in the Coton and the meal and glass of wine (due to it being Robinsons) in the Dusty.

You caught them on a good day - last time I went in there (4 weeks ago) I tried two different bitters - both on the turn. To make matters worse, as I was leaving I could hear the bar man say as much to one of the locals who then opted for a pint of Guinness!

You caught them on a good day - last time I went in there (4 weeks ago) I tried two different bitters - both on the turn. To make matters worse, as I was leaving I could hear the bar man say as much to one of the locals who then opted for a pint of Guinness!

My local serves Black Sheep and London Pride. The barman, a neighbour of mine, always tips me the nod as to which I need to be drinking.... :cheers:

Well if your starting from Acton Bridge depending on wot time you leave id say The stanley arms at Anderton or the Big lock at Middlewich or if you have time the old Barbridge inn at Barbridge Junction.

I like the cotton arms in Wrenbury never had a problem there. they do a lovely Lamb henry

The Whiley moor lock is a great old tradional pub serves and excellent fish chips& peas for a mear £7

Whitchurch has some great places but is a bit of a walk. We tend to moor on the arm and walk up into the town and eat at the white bear which is set back from the main street.

Ellsmere is a great place to stock up on provisions at the newly opened Tescos. the red lion is a short 5 min walk from the Arm and does some excellent food but is always busy so be prepared to wait.

The narrowboat inn is another great place to eat & drink but sometimes difficult to moor.

The Jack Mytton is a great pub with local beers on But food wise is more restuarant type stuff and a tad expensive but is worth it.

Have also eaten at the lion quays hotel which is great food but "very" expensive.

When your in Llangollen id recomend a walk up to the horseshoe falls its 2 miles from the basin.

and a place to eat would be the bridge end. great resonable priced food.

as you can tell ive done the Llangollen trip many times and its my favorite. we do tend to eat out most nights!

I remember stopping at Lion Quays in the rain a couple of years ago. Looked at the menu and prices and decided just to have a bowl of soup. :rolleyes:

On this trip we also tried another pub - Poachers Pocket?? this was ok.

Found Cotton Arms ok but did not like the Dusty Miller although I think this has changed hands since.

Steve

Just back from Llangollen trip. By far the best meal we had was at The Red Lion in Ellesmere (next to the church opposite The Mere). In fact ate there twice, on the way and on the way back. The vegetable Tandoori sizzler is superb !

Also recommend The Bridge Inn at Chirk - down the hill from Bridge 21.