Bow thurster Vs Stern thruster

DHutch

Featured Posts

We currently have a 150mm vetus bow thruster on emilyanne, which although not often used is vital occationaly (as shes a slugish 63ft long and 22tons lump, and somtimes we need all the help we can get)

- but somone sayed that they have a stern prop, and says that it great?

does anyone here a bow or stern thruster?

just curiouse, daneil

Our last boat had a bowthruster but when we extended her we added a sternthruster. Found it so useful that it was the first "extra" that we incorporated into the new shell.

It make so many aspects of manouvering so much easier.

I await the first salvos, but will stand my ground

Our last boat had a bowthruster but when we extended her we added a sternthruster. Found it so useful that it was the first "extra" that we incorporated into the new shell.

It make so many aspects of manouvering so much easier.

I await the first salvos, but will stand my ground

I won't give you any argument. I don't understand the school of thought that says it's wimpish to have bow/stern thrusters. The argument seems to go that it's ok to have your wife push the bow round with a lump of wood but somehow less macho to use a mechanical device to acheive the same result. I can't see any difference but good luck to you and enjoy your two toys! :o

Regards

Howard Anguish

I absolutely agree!! You can guarantee that anything that made boat handling easier and cheaper in the carrying days would have been embraced with open arms and that would include bow thrusters/stern thrusters or any other kind of thrusters had they been around!

Tradition is only modern practice viewed from the future!

• 2 weeks later...

how well does the stern/bow thruster combination work? Can you get the boat moving sideways with no forward motion if so that would be very helpful getting in those tight moorings and keeping to the side of a double lock whilst waiting for slow coaches!

Edited by James York

James

Very useful when two boats are going through double locks with limited crew, it allows you to only use one gate as the first boat in can crab itself sideways to allow the other one in, an the reverse for leaving the lock.

Edited by Big COL

how well does the stern/bow thruster combination work? Can you get the boat moving sideways with no forward motion if so that would be very helpful getting in those tight moorings and keeping to the side of a double lock whilst waiting for slow coaches!

You can make a narrowboat walk sideways without a stern thrust as long as the wind isn't too strong. A combination of bow thrust in the right direction together with helm hard over and gentle tickover kicks ahead - i.e. stop the engine as soon as forward movement is detected and if you are going alongside on the appropriate side the use of transverse thrust when going astern.

Regards

Howard Anguish

• 4 weeks later...

Well I can sort of understand someone wanting a bow thruster, but a stern thruster ! Is that as well as or instead of.

I am currently working on a new design, an 'up thruster' to get the boat up on the bank when it is not in use. I've got to get rid of those licence charges somehow.

• Haha 1

Where does a stern thruster fit? (pardon)

The after sections are all full of gubbins, stern-gear, engine, cooling stuff, etc.

We dont have stern thurster, but from what i can see, they are mouted "outside" the boat, the only image i can get is this one of a yacht

productsoort7.gif

- I guess the narrowboat insallations have it mounted to the underside of the swim plate, infront of the prop.

- also, the "data sheet" [vetus data sheet] shows how to mount it (although not where)

- maybe somone who has one can shead more light?

daniel

• 2 months later...

shoddy helmsmanship eh? Youve obviously never been blown sideways by a gusting wind in a large basin surrounded by expensive cruisers! So easy to lose total control and its nothing to do with shoddy helmsmanship. Perhaps you only cruise canals?

Edited by Gary Stacey

shoddy helmsmanship eh? Youve obviously never been blown sideways by a gusting wind in a large basin surrounded by expensive cruisers! So easy to lose total control and its nothing to do with shoddy helmsmanship. Perhaps you only cruise canals?

I've cruised most of the norths canals, and one or two rivers and have never had any problems. The boat goes where I want it to go.

Edited by Liam