Wooden boat Umbriel

Ros P

Featured Posts

I don't know about them, probably not the obvious choice to break up a sunken boat in water.

To my knowledge Tuckeys have lifted Umbriel, Lichfield, Taplow, Usk, a couple of Waltons, a wooden BCN tug type (Joey front end and distinctly Uxbridge looking counter stern) and their yard is full of steel snatchbacks, too.

Is that a euphemism,

No, it was my two front, false teeth.

I'm probably being naive, but why does it need to be broken up? I walk literally hundreds of miles of canal a year (and often get paid for it :P ) and the remains of a sunken boat are part of the scene. On the G and S there were decaying barges, admittedly more modern, but decaying nevertheless, and the collection of narrowboats and barges as bank protection/mooring pontoon was part of the appeal.

A tidy canal is a sign of a sick mind :help:

To my knowledge Tuckeys have lifted Umbriel, Lichfield, Taplow, Usk, a couple of Waltons, a wooden BCN tug type (Joey front end and distinctly Uxbridge looking counter stern) and their yard is full of steel snatchbacks, too.

OK, I consider myself suitably educated!

A look at their fairly sparse website didn't seem to mention this amongst the kind of work they are perhaps better known for, (although I may have missed it!).

I'm probably being naive, but why does it need to be broken up? I walk literally hundreds of miles of canal a year (and often get paid for it :P ) and the remains of a sunken boat are part of the scene. On the G and S there were decaying barges, admittedly more modern, but decaying nevertheless, and the collection of narrowboats and barges as bank protection/mooring pontoon was part of the appeal.

This one was fairly well "into channel" on quite a busy stretch, and has to some degree relied upon markers of some kind to make it obvious where it lay hidden. Although it wasn't actually blocking anything, I guess bits of it could have ended up further from the bank if it had been left to deteriorate further ?

AS a general principle, I agree with you, but I guess it is almost surprising how long this one was there, given that there is often an indecent haste to deal with ones that are tucked well out the way.

OK, I consider myself suitably educated!

A look at their fairly sparse website didn't seem to mention this amongst the kind of work they are perhaps better known for, (although I may have missed it!).

I think it is just something they do for BW.

Presumably now lost then !

Possibly not.

Tuckeys were very good about giving me access to their yard, to dismantle Usk, so hopefully the owner of Umbriel (who helped me remove parts from Usk) has reached a similar arrangement.

A tidy canal is a sign of a sick mind :help:

Well said, part of the magic of the BCN was the arms with decaying boats so essentially part of the history, now sadly most have gone and the waterways is manicured and sterile. We still slow down past the ones on the Wyrley, we have seen them thousands of times but its seem a bit of respect to ponder the remains and know that they have remained untouched since the final working day.

Agreed. A bit like old branch lines bereft of signals, platelayers huts, and any vestige of former rail. Attractive cycleways they may be, and whilst a return to steam would be impractical on many grounds, some remnant of their former life has been completely eliminated. Scrapmen, collectors, and vandals - are they of the same blood? Probably not. The former two have saved much, and maybe kept it from the latter.

Berko had the ribs of sunken boats above Lower King's Rd. They've gone.

Berkamsted01.jpg

Seems they had water problems back a hundred years ago.

Berkhamsted01Medium.jpg

"What's that Granddad?"

SA-HAbranch015Medium.jpg

But not here:

SA-HAbranch013Medium.jpg