Advise needed: To the River Nene in autumn?

hvdb

Featured Posts

We are planning our October trip, we think of going from Brinklow (our home mooring) to Northampton and then onto the River Nene and back. Nicholson's doesn't seem to give much information for the river and we have no other guides.

Can any of you enlighten us? Is it a good idea to go onto this river in October? Where are the good moorings, places for pump-outs, waterpoints etc.? Given the limited time available, we won't go far, we plan to do about 5 hours a day ( famous last words, up to now we always end up doing far more than that, but we promised each other to stick to the 5 hours and spend the rest of the day reading and pottering around).

Thanks for your help,

Helen

There is a low bridge at Fotheringay that will cause you problems if the levels did rise.Also not sure if the flood defence gates at Northampton ever get activated.I think the Nene is beautiful river but October normally coincides with protracted heavy rainfall, I wouldn't like to be on a tight deadline.One of the forum members here has written a detailed guide but cant remember if it was No Problem or Keeping Up.

The problem with the Nene is that it can rise rapidly if there's heavy rain and then you're stuck: the EA issues a Strong Stream Advice and closes the locks. Given how little rain we've had this year you'll probably be fine, but check the forecast just before you commit and go elsewhere if heavy rain is forecast for the next few days.

MP.

In 2009 some of the locks were still manual guillotines.This required revolving a large disc about 60 times to open the guillotine. The handles had been removed for 'elf and safety reasons but there is still a hole in the discs (about 1 inch diameter?)so hypothetically if you had some threaded bar and a couple of large nuts you could make life a lot easier for yourself.

ETA:I wonder if a bar from a set of dumbells would fit? Need someone local to test!

Edited by JDR

There is a low bridge at Fotheringay that will cause you problems if the levels did rise.Also not sure if the flood defence gates at Northampton ever get activated.I think the Nene is beautiful river but October normally coincides with protracted heavy rainfall, I wouldn't like to be on a tight deadline.One of the forum members here has written a detailed guide but cant remember if it was No Problem or Keeping Up.

Thanks JDR, it is No Problem, have read the guide and found it very useful.

Also thanks for the remarks from you and MoominPapa about the rainfall and river levels, we'll do some thinking and perhaps decide it is better to go elsewhere and leave the Nene for when we have more time and a better chance of dry weather.

Helen

We did the Nene this summer, lovely navigation and the few remaining hand wound guillotine gates were OK. As others have noted the main issue is flooding. Based on some very helpful advice from Jim Shead, we moored easily here:

* above the lock in Northampton

* ditto Cogenhoe

* Wellingborough embankment - water point and shopping, not ideal overnight

* above lock at Irthlingborough NB no facilities here at present.

* Thrapston, either above bridge or below the lock (Islip)

* the backwater above Ashton lock

* Fotheringay

* Wansford railway station (steam)

* Ferry meadows, Peterborough

You can just tie up in a field, but I would not recommend it without asking first.

There are no EA elsan points between Northampton and Peterborough. But I rang ahead to the boatyards, who were very helpful.

There are no EA elsan points between Northampton and Peterborough. But I rang ahead to the boatyards, who were very helpful.

Thats because its legal to discharge your black water directly into the river same as on the Great Ouse

BTW the river is blocked by fallen trees, cant remember where heard it on local radio last night not expected to be cleared until next week.

Edited by idleness

It's Sue from No Problem

Linky

Thats a great guide. Does anyone know if nayone has done a similar on for the Great Ouse? Our two week holiday next year is planned to be a weeks trip up the Ouse to Cambridge and Ely then nip into Wisbech and Fossdyke Yacht Harbour on the way back to Boston.

Thats a great guide. Does anyone know if nayone has done a similar on for the Great Ouse? Our two week holiday next year is planned to be a weeks trip up the Ouse to Cambridge and Ely then nip into Wisbech and Fossdyke Yacht Harbour on the way back to Boston.

I see you are sticking to the 7mph bits on the Ouse

Think you may struggle up the Old West

Good map here

http://www.fenswaterways.com/FurtherInformation/NavigationGuides/tabid/66/Default.aspx#GreatOuse

can be requested from EA but they are out of stock at the moment

I see you are sticking to the 7mph bits on the Ouse

Think you may struggle up the Old West

Good map here

http://www.fenswaterways.com/FurtherInformation/NavigationGuides/tabid/66/Default.aspx#GreatOuse

can be requested from EA but they are out of stock at the moment

We plan to have a lazy week on the Ouse before heading backfor Boston. We will also be taking the dinghy for bots that NC will struggle on.

We plan to have a lazy week on the Ouse before heading backfor Boston. We will also be taking the dinghy for bots that NC will struggle on.

Please let us know which week so those that use that river can stay in our marinas :P where we should be safe from the wash.

The problem with the Nene is that it can rise rapidly if there's heavy rain and then you're stuck: the EA issues a Strong Stream Advice and closes the locks. Given how little rain we've had this year you'll probably be fine, but check the forecast just before you commit and go elsewhere if heavy rain is forecast for the next few days.

MP.

Rule of thumb, One inch of rain equals a foot of water on the river.

Firesprite

In the office

Please let us know which week so those that use that river can stay in our marinas :P where we should be safe from the wash.

If she comes on to Middle Level. She will not be able to out run the Waterman`s Club`s torpedoes. It be

fun to see her try.

watermansclubtrops.jpg

Should she out run them. There always the Fenland militia`s SS20 to fall back on, Along with supporting fire from the T54`s.

Firesprite

Back in the office

Edited by nbfiresprite

We dont plan to do the middle levels. As i said we are having a quiet and lazy week pottering around between Denver and Cambridge and then on our return to Boston will call in at Wisbech for a night or two and Fossdyke for a night or two. This is going to be a relaxing holiday for once. Honest :captain:

We dont plan to do the middle levels. As i said we are having a quiet and lazy week pottering around between Denver and Cambridge and then on our return to Boston will call in at Wisbech for a night or two and Fossdyke for a night or two. This is going to be a relaxing holiday for once. Honest :captain:

Don`t fancy your chances with Middle Levels waterman`s weapons against speeding?. Shame they were looking

forward to have a go at such a challenging target.

Firesprite

On the train home

Thats because its legal to discharge your black water directly into the river same as on the Great Ouse BTW the river is blocked by fallen trees, cant remember where heard it on local radio last night not expected to be cleared until next week.
Thank you. It may be legal, I just don't want to do it! On odour grounds, I am also not much attracted having an elsan filling up with no chemicals in the waste tank: I believe it is not permitted to dump elsan fluid etc into the river.

PS: on trees EA have just said "We are please to inform you that the fallen trees between Yarwell and Wansford have now been removed."

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Thank you. It may be legal, I just don't want to do it! On odour grounds, I am also not much attracted having an elsan filling up with no chemicals in the waste tank: I believe it is not permitted to dump elsan fluid etc into the river.

PS: on trees EA have just said "We are please to inform you that the fallen trees between Yarwell and Wansford have now been removed."

Discharging from a black water tank with no chemicals doesnt neccesarily create nasty odours. We can discharge our holding tank with no odour and as the outlet is under water, unless you are moored/anchored in very clear water you wouldnt even notice it being discharged. The only give away is if you are in the boat and you can hear the pump running, you cant hear it running from outside the boat.

• 3 weeks later...

Discharging from a black water tank with no chemicals doesnt neccesarily create nasty odours. We can discharge our holding tank with no odour and as the outlet is under water, unless you are moored/anchored in very clear water you wouldnt even notice it being discharged. The only give away is if you are in the boat and you can hear the pump running, you cant hear it running from outside the boat.

Thank you: but I have an Elsan (bucket & chuckit), not a holding tank!

Edited by Scholar Gypsy