Windless

clovey

Featured Posts

I think I remember some info on a windless designed for those of us who can't get the job done with bruit strenght alone. Is there anyone out there who knows of a windless with a reduction gearbox ie more turns less effort to get the paddles up or similar?

Can they be purchased and if so from where?

Yes, Wharf Chandlery stock them, but as stated they are very heavy and cost about £150. If you get the cnance try a long reach Dutton ( Canal Shop - Bottom Lock - Braunston). Nice and light and make easy work of a lot of stiff paddles. Somewhere in the region of £30

I think I remember some info on a windless designed for those of us who can't get the job done with bruit strenght alone. Is there anyone out there who knows of a windless with a reduction gearbox ie more turns less effort to get the paddles up or similar?

But don't forget that gearing doesn't give you any free energy. With gearing, the easier the paddle is to raise, the more turns you have to do ! - and you don't want wussy weetabix - bacon, egg, black pudding, sausages, beans, hash browns and tea do just as well ! :lol:

We were really keen to get something to help my wife with the locks..(She won't drive the boat)

I bought one....that was basically a large ratchet spanner...adapted to fit the winding gear..

It weighed a ton...and was difficult when it came to winding paddles down again...

She gave up on it...very quickly..

Having spent some years..weilding ratchet spanners on cars..I thought I would soon get the hang of it..but had to agree it was a totaly awkward...

We recently saw a guy with another type....that could be locked straight or locked at an angle.

The guy had joint problems and his wife had got it for him.

Once again..it weighed a ton...and had a tendancy to go 'floppy' while trying to lock it straight...

It had the same reversing problems....as lowering paddles isn't a consistant pressure. Somestimes..they are ready to fall...sometimes..they need some cranking...or a mix of both..and a ratchet....makes it really awkward.

He was going to give up on it...

I sold mine on Ebay..

bob

I remember seeing on the telly a while back a chap who had adapted a battery drill to crank them up and down, seemed to work fine and he was planning to market them commercially. Never seen one in a chandler, however.

I saw that..but can't imagine how heavy it would end up ?

A cordless drill is pretty heavy...without a metal frame and gearing..

It certainly looked 'weighty' on the TV.

Same problem as I highlighted above...how do you reverse it and slowly lower the paddles...without it running away ?

Lowering paddles...can be fast..or slow...

bob

Edited by Bobbybass

We have a lightweight alloy windlass, at the end of the day the energy needed to lift the paddle is the same weather geared down or not, unless a windlass has an additional power source then it's not really going to help, having one and it will heavier in the first place to lug around. If the windlass is light it makes it a little easier to handle and carry around. The best I could find from a choice of very poor options.

Only problem with it is that the handle is quite slim and cold to handle, so I slipped some thick rubber hose over it, it's now very comfortable to grip and warmer to handle.

http://www.blackpigf...k-key-111-p.asp

Edited by Julynian

I once owned a windlass with two sets of sockets on it. The first set were at the end of an extra length shaft, the second set welded half way down the shaft. Use whichever socket will give enough leverage for the paddle in question.

George ex nb Alton retired