Thankyou for your consideration..

Featured Posts

I do hope the 'finger wagging' geezeer who called this out to me as I passed through Adlington is on here, as I'd love to have a debate with you about why passing moored boats does not 'have' to be done on tickover....

Very slow is all that is required...

I do hope the 'finger wagging' geezeer who called this out to me as I passed through Adlington is on here, as I'd love to have a debate with you about why passing moored boats does not 'have' to be done on tickover....

Ahh your close to Blackburn roads..have fun !!!

Upon reflection, no wash or disturbance, is all that's required. Go as fast as you like, without breaking the two guidelines... ;)

I hope you wagged two of your own in reply.

I hope you wagged two of your own in reply.

Considered it, but thought it not worth it TBH - just pressed on but at the same speed as I wasn't going too fast.

I've passed a few boats on tickover, only to be told that is too fast. and to be fair, tickover in this hire boat is almost 3mph, while in my own boat it is about 1.5mph (both speeds measured by GPS.)

It's not an absolute speed - it's just an excuse for tossers to rebuke crew of boats they don't like the look of.

I came through Lymm once...boats lining both sides...heavy wind blowing...the only way I could keep my bow from blowing off course was to keep it one notch above minimum....(which is slower than most boats who pass me at times). Guy in one of the boats is sitting at a window and mouths the words..."slow downnnnnn". I mouthed the words back at him..."I ammmmm"....LOL

It's not an absolute speed - it's just an excuse for tossers to rebuke crew of boats they don't like the look of.

Nicely put - I don't like the look of me either... :cheers:

I came through Lymm once...boats lining both sides...heavy wind blowing...the only way I could keep my bow from blowing off course was to keep it one notch above minimum....(which is slower than most boats who pass me at times). Guy in one of the boats is sitting at a window and mouths the words..."slow downnnnnn". I mouthed the words back at him..."I ammmmm"....LOL

That one does irritate me. If anyone should understand that, due to weather conditions, there is a minimum speed at which you still have control, then it should be a boater. And yet when it's windy, you still get those knobs telling you to slow down. Which would they prefer? A bit of water disturbance or your boat stuck in the side of theirs and half their paint missing?

• Greenie 2

That one does irritate me. If anyone should understand that, due to weather conditions, there is a minimum speed at which you still have control, then it should be a boater. And yet when it's windy, you still get those knobs telling you to slow down. Which would they prefer? A bit of water disturbance or your boat stuck in the side of theirs and half their paint missing?

I agree - but that was not what was I was doing today - I was just passing moored boats at the speed I normally pass them ie just over tick over and the same speed boats pass me when moored.

I think the next time somebody does this I'll disembark and we can have a 'discussion' about passing moored boat speeds...

No if its a bit windy you stay moored up all day, same as if there is quarter of an inch of ice on the water.

No if its a bit windy you stay moored up all day, same as if there is quarter of an inch of ice on the water.

Or some rain, or if it's too warm, or too foggy, or too English, or too anything.

I have noticed in our area that some of the most vociferous complainers are also some of the worst offenders...................................... Do as I say not as I do?

Absolutely. This was mentioned in a thread a few years ago on here.

I reckon it's something to do with a messed up version of the theory of relativity. When staitonary, a moving boat seems to be moving much faster, relative to oneself, than if one goes past a staitonary boat at the same speed.

Or something.

More likely they are just wankers.

I'm beginning to think that excessive wash and speed might be a regional thing. For 11 months of the year it is rarely a problem up here in the north (apart from some day boats crews). ........ but August up here is silly season ................. My boat has been rammed more times this week than it was during the whole of the preceding 11 months. (ducks down to take the flak) .................:cheers:

My boat has been rammed more times this week than it was during the whole of the preceding 11 months. (ducks down to take the flak) .................:cheers:

Perhaps you should have moored it outside the winding hole?

One very windy day near the bottom of Hurlestone locks we had a nb approaching at top speed, massive bow wave caused havoc with ours and another boat, when I asked him to slow down he replied in a very exasperated voice (we were probably the umpteenth ones to complain) that he had no choice with the wind, don't think he understood the principle of crabbing in side winds and I didn't have the chance to explain. I am sure many steerers think more speed is the standard procedure in cross winds rather than crabbing as a first solution