The Toll House at Norton Junction

Featured Posts

I turned at Norton Junction junction recently and recalled that the little house on the corner was where Fred and Ivy Fielding retired to when their time as floating canal ministers for the Salvation Army was over. At least, that was what believed, as I am usually happy to accept what is written the highly enjoyable Pearson's guides.

However, even more recently, I picked up, with hope, a copy of a book entitled "Canal Boatman's Missions". I flicked to the section on the Fieldings and read that the house that the Fieldings had retired to at Norton Junctioon had been destroyed after their deaths.

Can anyone tell me which book is right - Pearson or CBM? I rather hope it is Pearson because I like to think that some tangible link with Fieldings remains.

Ditto!

Unless my understanding as to which it was is wrong, it was still there a few days ago!

I understand it was available as a holiday let, after the Fieldings died but is now in private ownership.

Last time I went past they were making some alterations to the cottage and the little wooden narrowboat, in the garden, had gone.

I understand it was available as a holiday let, after the Fieldings died but is now in private ownership.

Last time I went past they were making some alterations to the cottage and the little wooden narrowboat, in the garden, had gone.

we're thinking of the same house then, because I saw it as a holiday let and seriously considered it.

I turned at Norton Junction junction recently and recalled that the little house on the corner was where Fred and Ivy Fielding retired to when their time as floating canal ministers for the Salvation Army was over.

Not strictly true. The Fielding's were instructed to dispose of ASTER and SALVO in about 1964 as they were to be posted to Libya. They then spent several years working abroad before coming back to retire at Norton Junction.

Many thanks for the replies this far.

I will be delighted if the cottage at the junction was the Fielding's home - there is certainly a cottage there. But I still wonder how it is that the book I mentioned earlier - the book whose only subject is boatman's missions - has got it so completely wrong: there the author is adamant that the cottage was demolished. A strange mistake to make - if it is a mistake!

Last time I passed by was 2008, and it was all so trim as to make me wonder if it was the same place the Fieldings retired to. Brigadier was often seen in the garden with his Airedale - that was in the early-mid eighties.

Truth be told, recently it looked more like the Toll House it once used to be - a little stark, though functional.

It became a sad sight after his death, though I found the rambling tree growth pleasing. I believe guests may have taken to the caravan, but only a guess, and it was kept neat.

These shots went up on a thread some time back after someone had enquired about the Fieldings. There's history there.

NortonJFieldings0001Medium.jpg

NortonJFieldings0002Medium.jpg

NortonJFieldings0003Medium.jpg

NortonJFieldings0004Medium.jpg

Edited by Derek R.

Here we are Geoffrey:

http://www1.salvationarmy.org.uk/uki/www_uki_ihc.nsf/stc-vw-sublinks/CF2F5A906644572E8025704D003B48CB?openDocument

That's a link to the Salvation Army pages relating to the 'Barge Ministry' run by the Fieldings, and this link will take you to the previous thread on same:

Salvation Army & the Fieldings.

The images are gone, but the same as those pasted above (I was having a tidy up).

Edited to add:

Just a thought, but in the text of the first link, it is stated the Fieldings were given a rent free canalside cottage for their use. It does not specify where. I wonder if there was another that perhaps did get demolished at some time.

Edited by Derek R.

Thank you for further, helpful replies.

Perhaps someone knows one or other of the authors of the book which states that the cottage was demolished: they are Wendy Freer and Gill Scott.

Certainly the cottage looks jolly well cared for now.

Yes, Wendy has been told about the error. I spotted it when the book first came out. The SA had the use of the Toll Office as a store in the days of Salvo and then the Fieldings retired to it, keeping a small flat bottomed boat on the front lawn. Haven't walked by there for a week or three, but there was a very nice shepherd's movable hut in the grounds the last time I did. One of the problems with it as a holiday let was the very restricted availability.

I Spy with my little . . .

Well, don't know when this was taken, but the Shepherd's hut is visible.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=52.285871,-1.118303&spn=0.000564,0.001053&t=h&z=20&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=52.285871,-1.118303&cbp=12,0,,0,0&photoid=po-49711378

(Might have been March this year.)

Edited by Derek R.

I was there not long ago and was told it was now owned by a family. They have put a caravan (well not a caravan one of those ones you see in Ireland that is drawn by a horse but my mind has gone blank as to what they are called) in the garden and let that out for holiday lets as a static. It did look very nice and someone was using it as passed, they waved!!!

HD1.jpg

This sort of thing!!