http://www.waterexplorer.co.uk

stuart

Featured Posts

Hi, I know a lot of you are regular users of my website and map's.

I've just launched a redesigned and hopefully easier to use site.

Take a look at:

http://www.waterexplorer.co.uk

and the full canal maps are here

http://www.waterexplorer.co.uk/gmaps/interactivecanalmap.aspx

Grateful for your comments!

Thanks.

Stuart.

After a quick glance, I like the clean look of the home page but it is not obvious from the home page where the realtime boat locations are shown. I know it is mentioned under "Inland Waterways Maps" (in the list which is off the bottom of my screen until I scroll down) but that mention is very small and is not obvious. Going to the maps, the need to select "boat locations" and then further to have to select "Map" to show anything useful, because the default is to "water" only, means a lot more clicks than before.

Tried searching a few spots yesterday and it just blinked and jumped back to the first image every time.

Edit: And yes...it looks nicer :)

Edit, edit: Ooops...searching works now!

Edited by Caprifool

Hi Stuart, I like the updated site.

Would it be possible to make a navvygator app for android?

I'm an android user as well (both tablet and phone) so its a strong possibilty - but I've never done any Android dev work so it may be a while!

What do the circles with numbers in mean when you are at a certain zoom level?

When you zoom out, if all the places were shown the map would be really cluttered and unreadable (theres about 25,000 places in the map!), the numbers are "clusters" and indicate how many places are hiding under the cluster, which get shown as you zoom back down/in.

I tried to download navvygator but the link is not working.

Whoops, forgot to upload it again after the upgrade!

Try again later and it should work.

not obvious from the home page where the realtime boat locations are shown.

Going to the maps, the need to select "boat locations" and then further to have to select "Map" to show anything useful, because the default is to "water" only, means a lot more clicks than before.

See what I can do.

Correct me if I am wrong but in the old version when I clicked on a particular boat location it showed the current location and time. If I then clicked on this boat again later then it showed the later location (assuming it had moved).

In the new version it continues to show the original location unless a refresh of the complete screen is made. This is with IE8 (I will check with Firefox later).

Hi all, I've fixed the issues with Navvygator not downloading and few other minor issues people have reported to me.

Correct me if I am wrong but in the old version when I clicked on a particular boat location it showed the current location and time. If I then clicked on this boat again later then it showed the later location (assuming it had moved).

In the new version it continues to show the original location unless a refresh of the complete screen is made. This is with IE8 (I will check with Firefox later).

Hi Geoff, yes the old version did update every 5 minutes, the new one doesn't - I didn't think many people used that!

I can re-implement if you consider it useful.

Stu.

Hi all, I've fixed the issues with Navvygator not downloading and few other minor issues people have reported to me.

Hi Geoff, yes the old version did update every 5 minutes, the new one doesn't - I didn't think many people used that!

I can re-implement if you consider it useful.

Stu.

I think it is! It saves having to do a complete refresh and then also reslect the boat and change, for example, from the default view to the satellite view.

Would it be possible to make a navvygator app for android?

I'm an android user as well (both tablet and phone) so its a strong possibilty - but I've never done any Android dev work so it may be a while!

That good to know,

I can of course record a gpx track using android, but i'd miss navvygator's updates of distances and eta's

Stuart, one other thing. When you click on a boat to show its location the box that gives the details is much bigger than before with a lot of blank space plus no 'X' button to shut and it stays on the screen for quite a time!

Stuart, one other thing. When you click on a boat to show its location the box that gives the details is much bigger than before with a lot of blank space plus no 'X' button to shut and it stays on the screen for quite a time!

I'll put it on the "to-do" list !

After a quick glance, I like the clean look of the home page but it is not obvious from the home page where the realtime boat locations are shown. I know it is mentioned under "Inland Waterways Maps" (in the list which is off the bottom of my screen until I scroll down) but that mention is very small and is not obvious. Going to the maps, the need to select "boat locations" and then further to have to select "Map" to show anything useful, because the default is to "water" only, means a lot more clicks than before.

Totally endorse Allan's comments......

The boat locations thing is harder work than in the old version, and I can't find a way of getting it to refresh to bring things up to date without starting again from scratch each time.

I'm also struggling greatly with the current Navvygator version, which I can seldom get to start cleanly at the first attempt any more, and which seems to hang when I try and stop a journey, and it wants to upload data to the server. (Comes up as "not responding" in task manager).

Edited by alan_fincher

I'm also struggling greatly with the current Navvygator version, which I can seldom get to start cleanly at the first attempt any more, and which seems to hang when I try and stop a journey, and it wants to upload data to the server. (Comes up as "not responding" in task manager).

Sounds like a bluetooth problem to me, does it do this when you play back a recording?

Totally endorse Allan's comments......

The boat locations thing is harder work than in the old version, and I can't find a way of getting it to refresh to bring things up to date without starting again from scratch each time.

I've only used the auto-refresh thing a couple of times, but when I did it was very useful.

I don't have any problems with the current Navvygator, except when it gets its Bluetooths (Blueteeth?) in a mess, such as when the laptop has been connecting to another Bluetooth device such as my phone - on purpose or just because it's there - which sometimes requires me to restart the computer to reset the Bluetooth Stack.

• 1 month later...

I have just asked the same question

Alex

The Google Earth links have been retired, they were used by only a handful of people compared to the online maps, and I don't have enough spare time to keep everything in sync and support multiple applications accessing the map data.

Sorry about this!

Stu.

The Google Earth links have been retired, they were used by only a handful of people compared to the online maps, and I don't have enough spare time to keep everything in sync and support multiple applications accessing the map data.

Sorry about this!

Stu.

Well I for one used them a lot, but understand your have more than enough to do.

Cheers

Alan.