Any history of BCN 1639?

Painter Type

Featured Posts

Hello all,

I am the proud owner of above boat (well actually just the 1st 60ft of it!) which was first registered at Tipton on 1-10-30. Owner listed as A Hickman, address Springvale, Boat Number 34.

Would be interested of anybody had any further information on the boat, or could point me in the right direction.

cheers

Hello all,

I am the proud owner of above boat (well actually just the 1st 60ft of it!) which was first registered at Tipton on 1-10-30. Owner listed as A Hickman, address Springvale, Boat Number 34.

Would be interested of anybody had any further information on the boat, or could point me in the right direction.

cheers

I can't tell you anything about the boat, but Alfred Hickman's Spring Vale Iron Works was at Bilston. The site housed the last blast furnace in the Black Country, the Elisabeth, which ceased working in 1979.

Pictured in its heyday on a postcard here. Somewhere I have seen the photograph on which this is based.

Bilston%20Spring%20Vale.jpg

Spring Vale Iron Works' other claim to fame is a boiler explosion in 1884:

001583.jpg

More about the history of the site here

David

Edited by David Mack

Oh wow nice picture, have only seen black and white photos previously. Thanks

I can't tell you anything about the boat, but Alfred Hickman's Spring Vale Iron Works was at Bilston. The site housed the last blast furnace in the Black Country, the Elisabeth, which ceased working in 1979.

Pictured in its heyday on a postcard here. Somewhere I have seen the photograph on which this is based.

001583.jpg

David

That really is a wonderful postcard, do you know anything about the painting it is a print from? How is it possible to have an art deco iron foundry?

It is wonderful ist't it! Google found it for me, but I immediately recognised the view as one I have seen in a (black and white) photograph. I assume the photo was coloured for use as a postcard.

David

It is wonderful ist't it! Google found it for me, but I immediately recognised the view as one I have seen in a (black and white) photograph. I assume the photo was coloured for use as a postcard.

David

Not just coloured but interpreted in art deco style. I'd like to know who did it.

Hello all,

cheers

PM sent requesting more information

001583.jpg

David

Fabulous picture and so accurate, the bent sides of the day boats just add to the accuracy. It is a copy of a photo which may be in Bob Mays book on the BCN.

BCN1639 was built to 7Ft 2" width and the boatyard is still extant as a car scrap yard oppositte the site which today is houses. The keen eye can see the side slip in the winter.

This was 1971:

BCNBILSTONSLSTEELWORKSBIGLIZZIE1.jpg

the full glory!!

BCNBILSTONSLSTEELWORKSBIGLIZZIE2.jpg

When the works closed it was rumoured the blast furnace would be preserved but sadly not. Now we have a "sculpture" which no one relates to as a landmark on the site. The very last piece of steel out of Lizzie was cut down and used in a brass cast plaques commemorating Alfred Hickman of which I am the proud owner of one.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Yes thanks,

What does it say after A. Hickman, I can't make it out?

I am not sure what is written on the next line before 'Boat' either?

Brch S & L Ltd = A. Hickman branch of Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd.

Op Iron = open iron (which means no cabin on a B.C.N. gauge table)

That really is a wonderful postcard, do you know anything about the painting it is a print from? How is it possible to have an art deco iron foundry?

Theres nothing Art Deco about it, thats exactly what it looked like, the wavy boat sides are dented hulls, the artist copied what he saw very accuratly.

I purchased the two 13ton narrow gauge locomtives Andrew Barclays Gertrude and The Doll for preservation. They charged me £2 each and I gave them away as I was buying Vesta.Heady Days.

sorry?

Alfred Hickman's Spring Vale Iron Works at Bilston had a narrow gauge railway system. There were two locomotives called Gertrude and The Doll. Max bought them for £2 each, then gave them away when he was buying Vesta

Was it that hard?

The Doll:

4-Doll_090524-6945_b.jpg

Gertrude as purchased by Max:

3448.jpeg

Richard

Alfred Hickman's Spring Vale Iron Works at Bilston had a narrow gauge railway system. There were two locomotives called Gertrude and The Doll. Max bought them for £2 each, then gave them away when he was buying Vesta

The Doll:

4-Doll_090524-6945_b.jpg

Doll is still going strong. I rode behind it at the beginning of May this year.