12 Volt Power Outlet Sockets

Featured Posts

I think the question has been asked before, but I can only find passing reference in any threads.

I wish to change the unsatisfactory solution that has been used on our boat for a 12 volt Power outlet, (Don't ask :lol: )

I've not seen the inside of enough other boats to know what people use.

Our chandlery seems to only offer old style mains sockets of the 5 Amp round pin variety. I've certainly seen these used regularly for 12 volts, although clearly that was not what they were originally intended for.

Downsides seem to be they are pricey (for what they are), usually unswitched, and (obviously) only rated at 5 amps.

Plus points are a positive fit of plug to socket, which has the benefit of being shuttered.

Otherwise people sometimes seem to use just the type of thing used as car cigarette lighter sockets.

Downsides here are again that they are unswitched, potentially unprotected, and the plugs not that good a fit.

I presume they can support more than the 5 amps offered by the other solution ?

What method are people using, and would you recommend it ? Any reasonably priced suppliers, please ?

Many thanks....

Try towsure - theyre cheap for a lot of things but take a look in the electrical section. they do 12v 2 pin polarised plugs in a size to suit standard socket backboxes. but at the moment I use 5A 3 pin plugs and sockets from tlc direct. cant remember web addresses I just search for them on msn when I use them

Try towsure - theyre cheap for a lot of things but take a look in the electrical section. they do 12v 2 pin polarised plugs in a size to suit standard socket backboxes. but at the moment I use 5A 3 pin plugs and sockets from tlc direct. cant remember web addresses I just search for them on msn when I use them

I was lucky enough to find a source of brass marine plugs and sockets. But I always think the 5 amp 3 pin plugs are as good as any but use a type that can be obtained without difficulty you will need more plugs than you imagine. At low voltages you can exceed the 5 amp rating but the limitation is the size of conductor you can physically get into the connectors.

Don't use those horrible fag lighter things, they were not designed to be plugs and sockets anyway.

Edited by John Orentas

I am racking my brains... but why do people need sockets?

I am racking my brains... but why do people need sockets?

Hi Bones

Some people have 12 volt eqipment like TVs radios hairdryers (not worth the space they take up) also table lamps. I am sure there are others.

Hi Bones

Some people have 12 volt eqipment like TVs radios hairdryers (not worth the space they take up) also table lamps. I am sure there are others.

Hello Bottle. Thanks for that - I was wondering! When I get my electrics sorted out, perhaps I will consider a socket - a table lamp could be very good for moody ambience as it were.

Very practical.

Edited by Bones

Alan

You could fit 12 volt DIN sockets this look similar to the 'cigar lghter' type but have a positive 'click' connection, we used them for 12V equipment in our emergency vehicles. LinkC0214100.jpg

Edited by bottle

Hi Bones

Yep, absolutely,

I'm thinking of chargers mostly.... Mobile phone, digital camera, laptop.

Also, left to my own devices, TV and other video equipment would,'t enter in to it, but that's a likely concession I've got to make to get at laest one of my sons buy-in to the boat. (If so, viewing time will be strictly rationed!...)

I'm definitely wanting to limit myself to 12 volt stuff. No permanent 240V land-line, inverters, etc are planned.

Snip

I'm thinking of chargers mostly.... Mobile phone, digital camera, laptop.

Snip

Alan these come with a plug for the 'cigar lighter' type and also have a step up/down 'transformer' inside the plug because most of this eqipment is not 12 volt, my laptop charges at 19volt and my phone at 6volt.

You could therefore not change the plug.

Alan these come with a plug for the 'cigar lighter' type and also have a step up/down 'transformer' inside the plug because most of this eqipment is not 12 volt, my laptop charges at 19volt and my phone at 6volt.

Agreed...

For the things supplied that way, I accept I'd have to go through a short fly-lead, and adapt through an in-line "cigarette" style socket.

I know that somewhat defeats the original question, but I still somehow don't like the idea of having car type sockets permanently fitted for all 12 volt needs, (.... I can't say why - just doesn't "feel" right...)

Certainly some things will be run directly off "12" volts, (and I do know it's not actualy 12 volts and anything plugged in must potentially be able to tolerate more :lol: )

Alan

I agree I do not like the 'cigar lighter' type either did you see my link (above)to the DIN type these fit with a positive (CLICK) connection. We used them in our vehicles and they do not fall out or move. THis company also have extension leads to do the conversion. Not used them myself, just to give you an idea of whats available.

Edited by bottle

the DIN type these fit with a positive (CLICK) connection.

This type of connector are also used on BMW & Triumph touring bikes for auxiliary power-out.

For those of you that think boaty stuff is expensive, one of those plugs with Triumph on the packaging is over £10!

I used the ordinary 5amp round pin jobs. We draw more than five amps through them (12 volt drill has been known to trip a 10amp breaker feeding them on stalling). Very cheap from screwfix direct-fine to date. Pity they don't still make the 15amp round pin type.

Hi

M & K still make the 15amp size round pin and two sizes of 5amp one of which is switched. I have a bank (bought and fitted last year to replace cigaret type sockets) of switched 5 amp so I can leave the telly radio etc plugged in but switched of "at the wall" as well as at the applience. Also seen both types in B & Q superstore Chester.

david

Hi

M & K still make the 15amp size round pin and two sizes of 5amp one of which is switched. I have a bank (bought and fitted last year to replace cigaret type sockets) of switched 5 amp so I can leave the telly radio etc plugged in but switched of "at the wall" as well as at the applience. Also seen both types in B & Q superstore Chester.

david

havent seen a 15 amp for years thought they were gone. I would consider those for bigger 12volt loads.

I use 5 amp round pin sockets for the 12 volt supply, As already mentioned they can be obtained from Screwfix but they seem to have discontinued the cheaper unbranded ones, they now only do white unswitched Crabtree (£4.69 ea.) or MK (£5.25 ea.) Unswitched brass ones cost a fortune (mine cost £16ea. trade) however they do appear on eBay from time to time. If you are stuck I have a couple of s/h switched white MK sockets, or three new unswitched Antique Bronze ones which I would be willing to let you have for a modest price.

Edited by David Schweizer

Our boats 24v rings are done with the "ketel lead" type plugs/sockets

- Which is ok, however, there still 240v fittings, so i personaly might have used somthing else, eather the 5amp round-pins, or maybe 2pole speakons, with or without a sperate switch my the side.

1e4fe3b94918c42107330da5f43f51.jpg

pc5110wn8pw8ds.jpg

We have about 4/5 24v sockets around the boat, how ever we dont have anything to plug into them, other than our one table lamp!

We then also have a pair of 12v cigaret-lighter sockets in the cupboard in the radio, which are used for mobile phone charging. (using the same 12v regulator as the car radio)

Daniel

havent seen a 15 amp for years thought they were gone. I would consider those for bigger 12volt loads.

Seems they do still exist, as one of the Davids suggested.

Looks like they may still be used in applications like stage lighting ?

I use 5 amp round pin sockets for the 12 volt supply, As already mentioned they can be obtained from Screwfix but they seem to have discontinued the cheaper unbranded ones, they now only do white unswitched Crabtree (£4.69 ea.) or MK (£5.25 ea.) Unswitched brass ones cost a fortune (mine cost £16ea. trade) however they do appear on eBay from time to time. If you are stuck I have a couple of s/h switched white MK sockets, or three new unswitched Antique Bronze ones which I would be willing to let you have for a modest price.

Thanks, David,

In fact Screwfix do have cheaper ones....

Link to unbranded Screwfix 5A sockets at £2.69

Link to unbranded Screwfix plugs at 99p

I've already sourced a few, and will wire them with one big switch that can turn them off at the same time, (o.k, as it's likely to be TV, aerial amplifier, etc going in to these, so good to turn all off in one go).

But thanks for the offer of some second hand ones anyway.

On thinking about this some more, I agree I can't avoid the use of some cigarette style ones without buggering around with some of what I need to plug in.

My chandlery has a cheap but adequate 3 way cigarette style one that will mount easily under a shelf.

I'll wire one of these in too, to allow phone chargers, etc, to be used as supplied.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I think I've enough to be getting on with now.

Problem being that when the lads see some sockets, they will then expect the telly to be the next thing to turn up :lol:

Edited by alan_fincher

In fact Screwfix do have cheaper ones....

Link to unbranded Screwfix 5A sockets at £2.69

Ah yes, I have just found them in the catalogue , listed under cable management and accesories !!! miles away from all the other sockets and boxes.

Seems they do still exist, as one of the Davids suggested.

- Looks like they may still be used in applications like stage lighting ?

Yeah, 15amp round-pins are useded a lot in stagelighting, certainly a few years ago. There is recently a large movment towards the more modern 16amp round-pins as used my us for shorelines.

- Also, increasingly often lights now include there own switch-gear (ie, moveing heads, etc) controled via DMX cabling, rather than a switch supply.

Daniel

I wish to change the unsatisfactory solution that has been used on our boat for a 12 volt Power outlet,

Alan,

You can get small low voltage pug and sockets from many caravan and chandlery stores. We have 12v, 24v and 230v on board. I use standard cigarette lighter sockets for 12v and the 'caravan' sockets for 24v.

The plug has two flat angled blades, each approx ½" long x ¼" wide, it is about 1" square, ½" thick, beige / fawn coloured plastic. From memory the socket requires a (approx) 1" dia x 1" deep hole (for the terminal screws etc., with around 1" square, ¼" thick protruding on top. A plug and socket set costs about £5. I can not remember the rated amp, think it is about 10a.

I have found them to be very good, much better than the cigarette sockets…. Both our local yacht chandlery store and caravan shop stock them, so I would have thought they are widely available.

Not the most attractive plug / socket (compared with the brass ones) , but because they are so small they can be installed in fairly discreet corners etc.

Ian

DB Elessina

Alan,

You can get small low voltage pug and sockets from many caravan and chandlery stores. We have 12v, 24v and 230v on board. I use standard cigarette lighter sockets for 12v and the 'caravan' sockets for 24v.

The plug has two flat angled blades, each approx ½" long x ¼" wide, it is about 1" square, ½" thick, beige / fawn coloured plastic. From memory the socket requires a (approx) 1" dia x 1" deep hole (for the terminal screws etc., with around 1" square, ¼" thick protruding on top. A plug and socket set costs about £5. I can not remember the rated amp, think it is about 10a.

I have found them to be very good, much better than the cigarette sockets…. Both our local yacht chandlery store and caravan shop stock them, so I would have thought they are widely available.

Not the most attractive plug / socket (compared with the brass ones) , but because they are so small they can be installed in fairly discreet corners etc.

Ian

DB Elessina

I have a bag of those plugs and sockets somewhere if anyone wants to make me an offer I will route them out. Have fitted them in a lot of motorcaravans and truck cabs until the ubiquitous fag button plug took over. Never had any trouble with them, just assumes they were now redundant.

Personally we only ever charge phones from sockets, everything else is hard wired.

i've used a few different types of caravan style 12 volt sockets over the years, and the orrible car type fag lighter socket,

i've finaly settled on a plug and socket arrangement that works for me, and that's the hella din plugs and sockets, the mini fag lighter sockets,

they are much better than the normal fag lighter sockets as the socket grips the posotive pin, where as the normal fag lighter sockets it's all push fit, and hence when they heat up due to the bad connection they get even looser, untill you melt the plug.

Been using the hella sockets for about 3 years now, on everything from phone chargers (wiring in a hella plug to the end of the naff fag lighter plug on it) a 12 volt coolbox that only pulls 5 amps, but always used to melt the fag lighter plug after 6 hours use, i even have my laptop's 12 volt psu on a hella plug, that pulls upto 8 amps when the laptop battery is flat, yet the hella plug and socket never get warm.