Ignorant Boaters...........

Deepinvet

Featured Posts

Sadly you will always find ignorant, miserable people where ever you go in life. What I tend to do when I unfortunately bump into one of these folks is to smile and when I receive a horrid or abusive reply, to my request for them to 'slow down please' I reply ' that is not a nice thing to say, how would YOU feel if some one said that to you or one of your family? this usually results in a red face on their part and an apology ( well 8 times out of 10). What we should all remember is that we are all boaters and it doesnt matter if you have a 70ft trad with a beautiful stonky engine or a fibre glass boat because we are all BOATERS :) and are helping to keep our heritage and traditions alive by keeping our beautiful waterways OPEN :) I have had a 70ft trad and now I have a 38ft cruiser-style n/b, but it doesnt matter as long as Ime on the cut :), so always remember 'you reap what you sow and if you treat everyone that you meet the same way that you would like to be treated you wont go far wrong. Happy cruising fellow Boaters and if you see me adn 'treespirit ' on the cut say hi and smile as I am basically a newbie oh plus yer carnt miss my beautiful lickle shiny green boat with flowers on board and of course my 'L' Plates :) :)

...are you stuck waiting at a bridge too.......?

Maybe her old man, fed up with the embarrassment, has installed some new spam filtering software, that stops spam going in or out, and it's preventing her posting further in this thread.

There must be an explanation.

Never before has Phylis shied away from an opportunity to grandstand her views.

All good fun as this undoubtedly is, I would hate to think Phylis has been hounded off this forum

Richard

Absolutely 100% no way. Being invited to produce the goods you have so loudly and patronisingly promised is not "hounding". Phylis is still around but will have her neck wound in by several notches and have become wiser in when to shut up. The only effect this will have is Phylis MIGHT become a little less infallible in tone.

All good fun as this undoubtedly is, I would hate to think Phylis has been hounded off this forum

Richard

Whilst I agree - it would be nice if there could be just an acceptance by her that she just ever so possibly remotely could and may have been incorrect in her assertion...only just mind....a teeny bit...

ed to make sense.

Edited by MJG

Richard

Phylis vanished to Cornwall, leading to alarmist talk of her being hounded off the forum. She returned to assure us that this wasn't the case (although sadly NOT to produce the evidence).

I am left scratching my head.

She apparently went to the trouble of having something (her very own Dodgy Dossier) sent to her by snail mail, just to prove her point, yet all we hear is excuses for not posting the material.

Phylis, time to fess up! Your bluff has been called, and you have been found wanting. Draw a line under it, and it will become another piece of history (like the speeding conviction) to be dredged up from time to time, but ever less frequently. If you don't it just runs and runs.

Richard

sueb, on 16 August 2011 - 09:24 AM, post 366, said:

Phylis please don't ever give these men what they are asking for. Their torture is priceless. Sue

Working well, just like water torture,

drip, drip, drip, drip.................................

Erm, do you by any chance mean to imply that we all by our continued engagement with this thread are wriggling on Phylis' line?

Starting to look so.

I've alluded to her being a 'chav' and under her old mans thumb, without her taking the bait, though expect to pay for that later on.

What young/ish northern lass would allow that unless she had ulterior motives.

Starting to look so.

I've alluded to her being a 'chav' and under her old mans thumb, without her taking the bait, though expect to pay for that later on.

What young/ish northern lass would allow that unless she had ulterior motives.

One who has been caught out.

Mornin' all. Nice sunny day here in land-locked Swindon. I have a feeling in my water that today is the day!

You're obviously a nice young man who hasn't grown old and cynical :)

Tony

I've alluded to her being a 'chav'...

And your point is? ;)

You're obviously a nice young man who hasn't grown old and cynical :)

I was a young man when I came up to this bridge, but been awaiting instructions for so long that I'm now drawing the pension.

Edited by weeble

I couldn't agree with you more,on most of your I have good fiends on these kinds of boats,but my general observations prove it,posh boat won't move over on narrow waterways,and so try to force other folk out of the way into the weeds and foliage in case they scratch their paint,usually steered my the husband;

Sorry for the late response to this post but I've only just read it.

I used to give approaching boats a courteous 'wide berth' and as a consequence, risked grounding our own posh, shiney and coach bolted hull on the shallows. That is, until I was educated on here as to what's termed as the 'chicken run'. This correct method of passing an oncoming boat involves both craft staying in the channel up until a safe distance apart, then both boats pass each other with only a small distance between them.

The resulting action maintains that the boats stay within the channel, or, very close to it throughout the maneuvre. Unfortunately and more often than not, this skilled steering of the boat is often misconceived as pure arrogance.

Whilst cruising down towards Kinver on the Shroppie recently, we encountered several traditional working boats that were heading towards the Audlem Festival. Every one of their steerer's adopted this method of passing me and reassuringly, acknowledged that fact that I did the same.

Meldrew

Edited by Doorman
  • Greenie 2

Why is it the majority of fishermen are at best ignorant and worst damn rude? Now being a mere shareholder in an ex Ownership boat I only manage three to four weeks a year but I never cease to be amazed at the way in which fishermen conduct themselves. They even seen to indoctrinate their manner on to their young children.

Why is it the majority of fishermen are at best ignorant and worst damn rude? Now being a mere shareholder in an ex Ownership boat I only manage three to four weeks a year but I never cease to be amazed at the way in which fishermen conduct themselves. They even seen to indoctrinate their manner on to their young children.

Well lets be honest - if you were good at social skills you wouldn't sit in the pouring rain on your own dangling a worm off the end of a stick into a muddy ditch now would you??

We conducted a highly (un)scientific survey on our recent three week trip and kept a very rough tally of fishermen (and the occasional lady fisherperson) who responded with any kind of grunt in response to my saying 'thanks' as I passed their lifted rods or poles.

Easily 90% either didn't even stir or look at me...5% managed a sern faced nod and 5% said something like 'No problem mate' or similar.

If Jan is on the tiller she doesn't bother any more she is so fed up with 'em.

Well lets be honest - if you were good at social skills you wouldn't sit in the pouring rain on your own dangling a worm off the end of a stick into a muddy ditch now would you??

If Jan is on the tiller she doesn't bother any more she is so fed up with 'em.

We refer to them as 'Mugs and maggots'!

The stock answer to their grumblings as boats pass by is; if you sit near a railway line, you're bound to see trains. :wacko:

Meldrew

Edited by Doorman