NOT FOR MEN KEEP PLEASE OUT!

JennyM

Featured Posts

Men just have to poke their noses in don't they? They just just can't resist!

An_angry_woman_with_a_chair_and_a_whip_110524-214258-982009.jpg

Men, politely be off with you!

Now ladies, I thought it would be a good idea to open a thread just for us ladies, so we can discuss more of the delicate and finer things in life. I don't mean help with the precious things in life, like manicures but more practical things like finding a good hairdresser whilst on your travels. Or maybe you have tips on cutting your own hair.

I know some of you ladies have had to give up some luxuries, but I'm sure they have been replaced with a more down-to-earth lifestyle which is more rewarding in lots of ways.

This thread may not take off.... although I think it is worth a try. I for one feel embarrassed opening a thread about what the best all weather handcream is, especially when all the threads appear to be about KEBS or the salient points of a pump out.

Come on girls.... share your secrets! B)

We don't yet live aboard but I find I have given up very little in the way of luxuries when on board, maybe we already have a basic lifestyle to a degree. The one key thing in my life is a hair-dryer but by just buying a lower wattage one to use on the boat this was quickly solved. If and when we ever do live aboard I don't think I could contemplate cutting my own hair and I would just seek out a hair dresser in a town close to where we are moored. I have an app on my iPhone that lets you seek out (in the local area) such things as particular shops, hairdressers, banks/ATM's and the like so I don't think this will be a problem.

jan

xxxxxx :icecream:

That's handy to know, thanks Jan.

There are some youtube clips on cutting your own hair. But like you, I don't think I would be that competent.

We are not yet living afloat full time yet, hope to be before Christmas..... baptism of fire comes to mind. Having lived abroad for quite a few years, we are aching to witness the good old British seasons.

A thing that has been worrying me, how far can you trust labels that say 'eco friendly'? Would you trust such products?

Edited to ask: re hairdryers, mine blows cold hair, not great in the winter I agree, but perhaps it can be used hot/cold intermittently.

Edited by JennyM

Edited to ask: re hairdryers, mine blows cold hair, not great in the winter I agree, but perhaps it can be used hot/cold intermittently.

Speaking as a male with hair that would disappoint an indian..........

Dry your hair nearer a heat source, stove, radiator, so you're moving hotter air.

Spot a bird in the area you are who's coiffure seems resonable to you, and ask her where she gets it done.

Dry your hair nearer a heat source, stove, radiator, so you're moving hotter air.

Spot a bird in the area you are who's coiffure seems resonable to you, and ask her where she gets it done.

See..thats why women need us.

We can easily solve such problems without having to start threads over such trivial things..

We can make fires...fix engines..and hunt bears...(do you get an app for that ??)

bob

Edited by Bobbybass

We can make fires...fix engines..and hunt bears...(do you get an app for that ??)

This is my one and only post in this thread.

So, who's the smartest then? The one running around doing all that? Or the one who has little men running around, doing it all for them?

Sorry girls, for butting in here. You have over and over proven to the world that the sisters can do it for them selves. But when a fellow male clever clogs barges in with stereotype testosterone blabber. I just can not shut up.

May this topic live long and prosper. Go for it girls!

I am surprised there are not ( or maybe there are) wall mounted units comprising a ( low consumption fan - say 100 watts) blowing air through a heater matrix with hot water from the boat system and delivering via a flexible hose - like some devices in hotels, presumably to stop the guests nicking them... I have an old mini heater radiator matrix which would probably do the job..........

Nick

You left out "Stick your head over the exhaust pipe."

Now ladies, I thought it would be a good idea to open a thread just for us ladies, so we can discuss more of the delicate and finer things in life. I don't mean help with the precious things in life, like manicures but more practical things like finding a good hairdresser whilst on your travels. Or maybe you have tips on cutting your own hair.

I know some of you ladies have had to give up some luxuries, but I'm sure they have been replaced with a more down-to-earth lifestyle which is more rewarding in lots of ways.

This thread may not take off.... although I think it is worth a try. I for one feel embarrassed opening a thread about what the best all weather handcream is, especially when all the threads appear to be about KEBS or the salient points of a pump out.

A thread talking about issues more commonly of interest to women is fine, but a "Women Only" thread is a ridiculous idea. What about men interested in things such as hair care? How about trans-gender people, how do you feel about them? Can they join your discussion? What do you think would happen if someone started, for instance, a "Men Only" engine maintenance thread?

Most (or possibly all, I haven't checked) women I know on the waterways have felt patronised or discriminated against on the basis of gender while boating, be it by snotty boatyard employees or know-it-alls at locks. Creating women only discussion threads in places like this supports ideas of "mens things" and "womens things", maintaning divisions that many have worked tirelessly to break.

How about paying a visit to the 21st century and opening a thread about the subjects you wish to discuss which is open to ALL?

edit: consider this my nose well and truly poked in.

Edited by Doug Scullery

A thread talking about issues more commonly of interest to women is fine, but a "Women Only" thread is a ridiculous idea. What about men interested in things such as hair care? How about trans-gender people, how do you feel about them? Can they join your discussion? What do you think would happen if someone started, for instance, a "Men Only" engine maintenance thread?

quite right! but i dont think the 'men only' was meant to be taken seriously given that its unenforceable on a talkboard

anyway,

given the restrictions on what one can put down boat toilets i've been thinking about getting a moon cup, have any of the other 'ladies who boat' used one? any problems or thoughts?

No. 3 all round. Been doing my own for years.

And I have a thing for women with the Sinéad O'Conner look. (but not the gob) :wub:

Ahh thats why you wear that hat!!!!!!!!

quite right! but i dont think the 'men only' was meant to be taken seriously given that its unenforceable on a talkboard

anyway,

given the restrictions on what one can put down boat toilets i've been thinking about getting a moon cup, have any of the other 'ladies who boat' used one? any problems or thoughts?

Moon cup?????? must be a girly thing suppose you women will all be laughing now, [nowt new there then :blush:

I'm still waiting for the cut your own hair tips....

Casp'

You will be able to stuff a mattress when you master the art Casp :wacko:

Bulls and red rags spring to mind B)

Ahh thats why you wear that hat!!!!!!!!

Moon cup?????? must be a girly thing suppose you women will all be laughing now, [nowt new there then :blush:

The hat was a prezzy from a cwdf member on our day out at the seaside in skegness. It's sentimental. :)

As for the moon cup..... where have you been hiding all this time. Every female boater should have one. Lol

The hat was a prezzy from a cwdf member on our day out at the seaside in skegness. It's sentimental. :)

As for the moon cup..... where have you been hiding all this time. Every female boater should have one. Lol

Are they common on the cut then?

So is it acceptable to offer it to visitors if they have the painters unexpectedly in when you're miles from any shops?

Of course you can. Just make sure to wash it first.

And also don't forget the handy thing for peeing overboard...

Now what were they called again?

:)

splendid

a sheepie i think - i dont need one of those i can crouch on the gunnel & direct. having a massive bladder helps