Moorings wiki

keble

Featured Posts

Anywhere on the towpath unless it's marked otherwise.

Why do you need a map?

Map not needed, but useful to have notes on state of moorings.

Scenario: night is falling (why do we say that?) and I'm looking for somewhere. Do I go for nearest bank and fight the nettles or keep going?

If I know, from experience or aforesaid wiki, that there's good moorings (eg pub, good bank, no trains) round the corner then the decision is easy!

Why do you need a map?

There's plenty of rivers without towpaths, and some with towpaths that you can't moor against.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

It has been suggested by a fellow member that "We ought to set up some kind of wiki or Google map for moorings, something that everyone could edit and update would be great."

It turns out that there is a way to integrate the software that runs this board with a wiki package - see this link.

What do you think?

I would like if the Nicholson Guide printed sections of the canal in a different colour where you could moor - i.e. armco or mooring rings and not prohibited for some reason such as a long-term mooring section. To be honest I'm not so sure an online map is much good when you are single handed

It has been suggested by a fellow member that "We ought to set up some kind of wiki or Google map for moorings, something that everyone could edit and update would be great."

It turns out that there is a way to integrate the software that runs this board with a wiki package - see this link.

What do you think?

Have you considered contributing to the moorings rating feature of canalplan ac?

I would like if the Nicholson Guide printed sections of the canal in a different colour where you could moor - i.e. armco or mooring rings and not prohibited for some reason such as a long-term mooring section. To be honest I'm not so sure an online map is much good when you are single handed

Agreed, but they don't get updated very often.

Online data can be kept up to date, and at least you could print it out before a trip.

Rob

I think it's brilliant idea. With all the combined local knowledge a collaborative wiki would be great. Lots of info could be put up and more importantly updated in real time. I for one am fed up with way out of date printed guides. I was only talking about this to a fellow NBer.

I'm sure someone here will have the knowledge to get it up and running.

I'm sure someone here will have the knowledge to get it up and running.

cheers - that's why I posted this in the Suggestions forum. But if canal world isn't interested I'll have a go on another web site!

Have you considered contributing to the moorings rating feature of canalplan ac?

Canalplan doesn't support max stay or return window but I'm sure it would be quite easy for Nick to add it - and I've emailed him pointing him to this thread.

Steve

Although CanalPlan doesn't have particular fields for length of stay, return period or other things (charge for example), neither would a Wiki.

It does have the ability to comment on the mooring at a place. So you can use it just like a wiki - go to the place, rate the mooring and then add a comment on whether it's an official BW mooring, how long you can stay etc.

If people start putting useful mooring information in, I can start adding useful features that use it (how far is the nearest good mooring to where I am now, show all moorings on this canal, that sort of thing). But until there's a reasonable amount of data in there this would not just be pointless, but actually misleading to anyone who used it.

So, there is already a facility for noting where good moorings are - why not use it?

Why do you need a map?

I have to say I agree with you on this carl.

I am a bit confused on this one. There are 2,000 miles of canals even if 10% are restricted that leaves 1,800 miles of towpath for mooring. Maybe I am completely different from average boaters (it has been said that I am) but when I start the day I have a rough idea of when I am going to stop, usually around 1pm so at a bout 12:45 I start to keep my eyes out for somewhere to moor, my preference being somewhere where no one else is moored. Every now and again I will moor at a village or town for shopping etc. and in those places I just take a chance on a mooring being available, if one is not available or I do not like the look of the moorings I go on a bit further and have a longer walk.