A myth blown out of the canal

Burgiesburnin

Featured Posts

Rightly or wrongly I have often got the impression that 'canal people" are not happy with the boat hire holiday makers. If anything, this made me consider all aspects of waterways use and the "protocols' prior to hireing a boat myself for the first time which I did a couple of weeks ago. I must say that contrary to my perception, you are not a bad bunch at all. Everyone greets everyone, assists at locks or accepts assistance and the entire experience was far more pleasant than I expected. My wife and I cruised from Middlewich to Chester via Nantwich first to make a week of it and enjoyed every second. Thanks to those that I did meet or pass amd in anticipation of those we are yet to meet when we hire again and for a longer period next time.

Rightly or wrongly I have often got the impression that 'canal people" are not happy with the boat hire holiday makers. If anything, this made me consider all aspects of waterways use and the "protocols' prior to hireing a boat myself for the first time which I did a couple of weeks ago. I must say that contrary to my perception, you are not a bad bunch at all. Everyone greets everyone, assists at locks or accepts assistance and the entire experience was far more pleasant than I expected. My wife and I cruised from Middlewich to Chester via Nantwich first to make a week of it and enjoyed every second. Thanks to those that I did meet or pass amd in anticipation of those we are yet to meet when we hire again and for a longer period next time.

Glad you had a good time and pleased you didn't meet any of the 'snooty private owner brigade...'

Who are the "Canal People"?

Hirers contribute plenty, to the upkeep, economics and character of today's waterway system.

We may be relying on the income generated by them far more, for maintaining the canals, as private boaters are forced to seek out cheaper ways to get their boating fix, or priced off the system altogether.

hat one really always has been a myth

It's only South Africans we are not happy about

Richard

Oh... :blush:

Glad you had a good experience and enjoyed your holiday.

Although we are now in the fortunate position to own a NB I never forget that

I and the majority on this forum, I suspect, started by hiring.

I am of the opinion that had it not been for the early entrapanurial (spelling?) boat hire companies we probably would not have the luxury of the canals we know today.

Not forgetting Rolt, Aikmen, et al.

Edited by Ray T

Most of what we know about boathandling we learned from very friendly boatowners who showed us, hirers, how to do things, from using the right knots to boating in strong winds and took us with them through the locks.

Almost everyone was very friendly and happy to share their knowledge. We met the occasional boater with a very shiny new boat who was afraid of scratches on the paint, well, you just smile and say hello.

The only time people were rude to us was when they thougt we were German, when we explained that we are Dutch they turned like a leaf and we shared quite a few locks with them and ended up having tea together.

Hi,

It takes all sorts and the hirers are on the whole a great bunch, but a couple of crew's heading back to Wyvern, Leighton Buzzard a few weekends ago were pushing their boats 'to the limit', especially approaching blind bends.

All good fun, keep up the friendly waves (but not bow waves!).

Leo

What's your beef with South Africans?

It's a joke, based on the location of the OP - nothing more

The other stuff

Popcorn!......

Ice Creams!......

Albatross on a stick!.......

is Forum shorthand for "get ready for a well worn and popular running battle" and is in invitation to sit and watch the fun

Does that help?

Richard

Good - We're definitely an acquired taste :P

Like porcupine?

Richard

Just to reinforce RLWP's explanation - the piss taking on here is very PC and Equality minded.

It happens to everyone irrespective of race creed colour or boat toilet preferences.*

*Another 'popcorn' subject.

The other stuff

is Forum shorthand for "get ready for a well worn and popular running battle" and is in invitation to sit and watch the fun

Does that help?

Richard

Like porcupine?

Richard

Oddly I did not notice the location of the OP. I have no interest in a long battle, I was just curious. We shall be flying the SA flag on Hereford from Shire Cruisers in September in Yorkshire. Anyone who spots us please say hello.

Just to reinforce RLWP's explanation - the piss taking on here is very PC and Equality minded.

It happens to everyone irrespective of race creed colour or boat toilet preferences.*

*Another 'popcorn' subject.

We can take it !

The other stuff

Does that help?

Richard

Like porcupine?

Richard

Try warthog.

before this thread gets completely culinary.

I think hirers are amazing, the first timers occasionally make mistakes, but usually you get a real sense of "this is new, exciting, different", everything I thought when I first got afloat, it reminds me of why I go boating in the first place.

More experienced hirers are usually making an effort, after all they have to shell out a grand or so every time they go boating, they're ususally determined to have a good time, and they make tend to make good company. and lets face it they're the privateer of tomorrow.

Long live the hirer.

Edited to say.

I've reported this thread, it belongs in general boating, or first time, or something. Sue me!!

Edited by fuzzyduck
  • Greenie 1