confusing situation

Shippo

Featured Posts

Hi all, here's a very unfortunate situation I've found myself in, for four years I have been cc'ing and working and getting by,

cutting a long story short, I got made redundant but got ripped off by boss to the tune of 3500 that made me a little short of pocket money,

So I've managed to sign on using my care of address not a problem , but now my boat licence is due and I can't afford to pay it, contacted BW to explain situation they said housing benefits may be able to help, but they are as confused as me..

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of this type of situation, or any advice.

If you need to know anymore info just ask as I'm going to have missed something..

Thanks

Hi all, here's a very unfortunate situation I've found myself in, for four years I have been cc'ing and working and getting by,

cutting a long story short, I got made redundant but got ripped off by boss to the tune of 3500 that made me a little short of pocket money,

So I've managed to sign on using my care of address not a problem , but now my boat licence is due and I can't afford to pay it, contacted BW to explain situation they said housing benefits may be able to help, but they are as confused as me..

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of this type of situation, or any advice.

If you need to know anymore info just ask as I'm going to have missed something..

Thanks

BW will take instalments

Sue

You may find it difficult as you have no fixed mooring .you can get HB on a mooring from some councils.The problem is if you CC which council pays it they will put you off . Go into the council office where you are and ask them about paying HB for your licence if they say no ask them if you have a mooring will they pay it,you may well have to get a mooring to claim it. As you have a cc licence you would have to claim from each office in each place you are in and they wont do that i dont think, good luck

Edited by romarni123

Thank-you for your response I had a horrible feeling that may be the case..

No probs the other problem you may run into is with BW trying to get the info off them for the council to say you are living on a mooring as you shouldnt be doing it according to the council :rolleyes: it can be done but it can be a ball ache you end up going round in circles just keep trying and go to the advice centres.The coucil will pay for winter moorings and licence but you have to take a mooring and check with the coucil in the area you are in

I know of boaters ccing and claiming housing benefit. I may be mistaken but I'm sure that member Smelly on here

Smellys profile has good knowledge of benefits for boaters like you. Why not message him?

And sending you good luck and strength of course.

Only about a third of my neighbours (in my little marina of 15 boats) have been made redundant in the past couple of years. :wacko:

Hi can you tell us what you make and sell. This will be of great interest to most of the forum I think.

Thank you

A

I think it's "out there" some where already. Or, that could be on a nother forum :blush: But for ex. I buy undyed yarns from small mills or lots on eBay. I dye them and resell them as hand dyed yarns. Or knit socks on antique circular sick machines.

The above is my hobby that I mentioned. But I have restored 70GBP machines and sold them for 1400BGP. I find stuff on fleamarkets that I know I can resell. Make something out of nothing. Jewlery from old cuttlery. Candle holder from old free roof tiles. Have a look at book sites and stores. There's a bob or two in reselling books. What is cheap in your country that might be expencive abroad? Soon, it becomes a sport.....finding stuff to do, or sell.

I change peoples tires. Mow lawns. Help out on farms. Some kid needed a rabbit hutch. I hatched and sold chicks for 100 pw a few years ago. The incubator cost me 30 bob to make. I also hatched other peoples eggs for a fee. Drive people places and they'l happily pay for more gas than used to get there. Or just a simple favor often results in lunch. Lunchmoney that could be put ells where....

You (In general. Not meaning the OP) have to stopp kicking stones with your eyes on the ground and hands in your pockets. There's a opportunity for profit every where, if you look hard enough and in the right places.

Edited by Caprifool
  • Greenie 3

You (In general. Not meaning the OP) have to stopp kicking stones with your eyes on the ground and hands in your pockets. There's a opportunity for profit every where, if you look hard enough and in the right places.

This comment also is NOT intended to be personal to the author of the quote.

I have a big problem with people who make comments like this and write books on similar topics.

They never seem to realize that their ability to turn any sort of thing into money is very unusual among the overall population.

Most people need to be "employed" (i.e. closely guided by someone else) in order to make money - and its nothing to do with laziness.

Thanks

Can you pay rent to your care address?

This comment also is NOT intended to be personal to the author of the quote.

I have a big problem with people who make comments like this and write books on similar topics.

They never seem to realize that their ability to turn any sort of thing into money is very unusual among the overall population.

Most people need to be "employed" (i.e. closely guided by someone else) in order to make money - and its nothing to do with laziness.

Some see it. Some don't. Fair enough.....

Edit: And my post was meant to be encouraging. Sorry if that was unclear.

Edited by Caprifool

I am sure you can get help

Houseboats

You may be able to get help through HB for your mooring fees or river license fee where this has to be paid for the boat to be in the water, but not for other costs associated with houseboats.

Mobile homes and caravans

You may be able to get help from HB to meet any site fees you have to pay in order to live in your caravan. If you have to pay interest on a loan to buy your caravan you can claim help from Pension Credit, Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance.

HB Link

I think for HB a narrowboat where you live is the same as a Houseboat

I got made redundant but got ripped off by boss to the tune of 3500 that made me a little short of pocket money,

Thanks

How did you get ripped off rather concerning.

• Greenie 1

I found your post encouraging - as someone who is self employed it's always interesting to see how other people make their own way.

Me too...although I would point out that one of my best friends is a geologist and has made a lot of money kicking stones and staring at the ground.

Yes, but he no dought kicks with enthusiasm..... And not as an act of dispair. Oh heck, what do I know. Lost my pension 18 months ago and havn't had a penny from the gov or a job since then. I'm fat, I have HIV, I have severe side effects from meds, pain, nausia, guts are f****d for life, permanent nerve damage. But I do my best the few moments I have when I can do stuff. I refuse to be a victime..... And of course, it was my personal view on the matter. And we are all individuals.

Good luck Shippo. Hope you find your way.

Can you pay rent to your care address?

I'm not sure what you mean by this, I live nowhere near or in my C/O, but its the BW licence I'm struggling to pay, I know I can get help with moorings fees, but can I get help to help pay the licence as it is a massive amount of money when things have got this tight..

I am sure you can get help

HB Link

I think for HB a narrowboat where you live is the same as a Houseboat

How did you get ripped off rather concerning.

so I may be able to get help, that's encouraging , its just a case of where to go and who to see.

Ripped off by months wages, 10 years redundancy 10 years notice and various other bits and bobs..

Thanks for the reply..

I'm not sure what you mean by this, I live nowhere near or in my C/O, but its the BW licence I'm struggling to pay, I know I can get help with moorings fees, but can I get help to help pay the licence as it is a massive amount of money when things have got this tight..

I was thinking you might be very near your C/O address.

:)

Hi Shippo,

Yes you can get HB to pay your license without having a mooring, I know people who do, but you'll probably have to fight for it!

From one friends experience I'd offer the following tips

- Establish yourself as a resident in the council area

- have a local address - the local post office should be fine

- register with local doctor and dentist

- get on the electoral role

- keep a log of where and when you moor in the council area. The BW Continuous Cruising guidance is of no interest to the council, they are only interested in knowing you are one of their residents

- Prepare to fight for your claim

- don't take no for an answer

- appeal any decisions that don't go your way

- try to get the front line council officers that you deal with day to day on your side

- ensure that all know that your claim is the cheap option and if it fails you will have to give up living on the water and ask them to provide you with accommodation, they like cheap solutions

- Get support from friends and other organisations

- talk through the hurdles that are put in your way with sympathetic friends, you'll probably get some great suggestions that will help along with plenty of madcap schemes

- join the Residential Boat Owners Association (RBOA) and ask them for support and guidance. They have a wealth of experience helping fellow boaters claim HB and can provide some very practical support

- ask here too, but don't expect to like all the answers you get!

Good luck

Rik

Hi Shippo,

Yes you can get HB to pay your license without having a mooring, I know people who do, but you'll probably have to fight for it!

From one friends experience I'd offer the following tips

- Establish yourself as a resident in the council area

- have a local address - the local post office should be fine

- register with local doctor and dentist

- get on the electoral role

- keep a log of where and when you moor in the council area. The BW Continuous Cruising guidance is of no interest to the council, they are only interested in knowing you are one of their residents

- Prepare to fight for your claim

- don't take no for an answer

- appeal any decisions that don't go your way

- try to get the front line council officers that you deal with day to day on your side

- ensure that all know that your claim is the cheap option and if it fails you will have to give up living on the water and ask them to provide you with accommodation, they like cheap solutions

- Get support from friends and other organisations

- talk through the hurdles that are put in your way with sympathetic friends, you'll probably get some great suggestions that will help along with plenty of madcap schemes

- join the Residential Boat Owners Association (RBOA) and ask them for support and guidance. They have a wealth of experience helping fellow boaters claim HB and can provide some very practical support

- ask here too, but don't expect to like all the answers you get!

Good luck

Rik

Thanks Rik,

very helpfull information, cos this is a very confusing situation i have found myself in, think ill join the rboa to.

thanks all

Edited by Shippo

I found your post both encouraging and uplifting - although most of us are not creative and for myself, I would never be brave enough to go it alone, I think its fantastic that you make your own way rahter than taking benefit - no dissing anyone who is mind...but I am sure the poster did not mean to be discouraging to you.