Fuel boats east midlands

tom_c

Featured Posts

I have been looking to see how easy it is to get delivery of Kerosene for the drip feed Kabola heater which currently runs on Red Diesel. Only because it seems to be much cheaper. As a Woolwich has two large tanks either side of the engine room, linked with a pipe under the engine, I could easily split the two with one full of Red for the engine and one of K for the heating. I would have thought that quite a few boaters would want K for heating but I have not yet found a supplier willing to deliver say 70 gallons other than in a drum which you have to buy for £30 plus a delivery charge. Is there any deliery boat on the Oxford (Hillmorton) who will fill us up with Kerosene?

The only way you can get a fuel supplier to deliver either red diesel or kero to your boat is if you are able to take at least 500 litres. Then they may well be happy to deliver if you can get the boat to a spot where they can get a tanker. Of course BW won't be very happy if they find you draping a fuel hose over the towpath without their consent.

Bulk fuel suppliers will deal with quantities less than 500 litres but you'll only have the option of receiving this in either 25 litre drums or in 45 gallon containers. Obviously the extra handling of fuel delivered in containers/drums will knock the price up a fair bit making it impractical.

I deal with a select few suppliers who will deliver to boats, but most of them won't and use H&S as the reason no matter how much you try and explain the risks and what you can put in place to reduce them.

Whenever I've arranged for a bulk delivery, I've always tried to do it on the offside. Not always practicable, and there have been quite a few occasions when the fuel hose has been running over the towpath but this is hardly an issue as it only takes around 10 minutes to dispense a couple of thousand litres.