Droitwich Canals

Featured Posts

July 1st to 3rd weekend of festivities,Plaque unveilings to the volunteers who did it. boat trips, stalls, barbecues,Come and see these lovely canals, new guide book available.Hope for some rain over next month. Max Sinclair Life President and proud of it.

Edited by Max Sinclair

I'll be there on the 1st... I can't do my usual trick of "identify me by the Bath Rugby Shirt" as I have a VIP invite and will be in a suit, I might pick a suitably silly tie for id purposes

Or an HLF T shirt if they have such things

And Max, I hope that I, as funding agency, will meet you, as master perpetrator of this deed, on the day. It'll be me buying the beer, you have no idea how pleased the Heritage Lottery Fund are to have been associated with this, but we can only respond to those who ask

Edited by magpie patrick

I was down by Hanbury Wharf this weekend, and as I'll be down that way in the boat at the end of June, had a nosy down the first locks on the Droitwich canal. I hadn't looked before so can't say what state they used to be in, but they didn't appear to have had any rennovation work done on those first few. The first boat through that first pound is going get a filthy prop, given the vegatation in there, although I assume there'll be more than 6" of water in it when they try it. Is this still on track for 1st July? Has anyone told the residential boats at the start of the arm? Looked a very cosy neighbourhood, and is chained off indicating (to my mind) a rather protective air.

This is not in any way to belittle the brave efforts of those who have worked so hard to get this canal open, stirling effort all round. Just wanted to make that clear in case anyone thought I was casting nasturtiums.

I was down by Hanbury Wharf this weekend, and as I'll be down that way in the boat at the end of June, had a nosy down the first locks on the Droitwich canal. I hadn't looked before so can't say what state they used to be in, but they didn't appear to have had any rennovation work done on those first few. The first boat through that first pound is going get a filthy prop, given the vegatation in there, although I assume there'll be more than 6" of water in it when they try it. Is this still on track for 1st July? Has anyone told the residential boats at the start of the arm? Looked a very cosy neighbourhood, and is chained off indicating (to my mind) a rather protective air.

This is not in any way to belittle the brave efforts of those who have worked so hard to get this canal open, stirling effort all round. Just wanted to make that clear in case anyone thought I was casting nasturtiums.

That worries me... Canal should be open by now

That worries me... Canal should be open by now

The top lock also had padlocks on its paddles and a BW workboat tied across the entrance. The pound below was about 18" below the level it should have been, and the side pounds (though I don't know if they'd be operational anyway) were completely empty.

The top lock also had padlocks on its paddles and a BW workboat tied across the entrance. The pound below was about 18" below the level it should have been, and the side pounds (though I don't know if they'd be operational anyway) were completely empty.

Last time I was there the trust were maintaining the level in the pounds at a low level due to water leaking into the road if held at a working level, have these leaks been fixed yet?

Last time I was there the trust were maintaining the level in the pounds at a low level due to water leaking into the road if held at a working level, have these leaks been fixed yet?

BW are now operationally responsible and the Trust will change its status having acheived its objects.. The canal will not open until July 1st, chains and obstructions removed and pounds full.While the side ponds have been restored by the Trust BW do not plan to use them as there is a plentiful water supply, hence 240 boat Marina.

BW are now operationally responsible and the Trust will change its status having acheived its objects.. The canal will not open until July 1st, chains and obstructions removed and pounds full.While the side ponds have been restored by the Trust BW do not plan to use them as there is a plentiful water supply, hence 240 boat Marina.

Ho Hum, why is it that, as Heritage Lottery Fund Manager for this project, I end up getting the news from this website rather than BW. They had told me they would open (with no ceremony) on the 27th May and they've never changed that statement...

Another email to 'em

I'll be there on the 1st... I can't do my usual trick of "identify me by the Bath Rugby Shirt" as I have a VIP invite and will be in a suit, I might pick a suitably silly tie for id purposes

Or an HLF T shirt if they have such things

And Max, I hope that I, as funding agency, will meet you, as master perpetrator of this deed, on the day. It'll be me buying the beer, you have no idea how pleased the Heritage Lottery Fund are to have been associated with this, but we can only respond to those who ask

All this suit and VIP tickets stuff makes me want to vomit!!

Be fair, I've handled a £5 million grant and though I say so myself this grant could have gone off the rails a few times without intervention. I recall four years ago banging my fist in frustration and saying "don't give me the perfect claim, give me one I can pay!!" I think Odana may have witnessed that one.

And the withdrawal of the developer on the canalised section presented a challenge, to which BW (to give them due credit) rose, but it gave me yet more work that was a tad beyond the fee I've been paid for this.

Nightwatch, it gave me huge job satisfaction to take Ripple to Droitwich for the "soft" opening last September, even beat going through Three Mills Lock and walking a restored Bude Barge Canal. I am very, very lucky, although I wish it paid a tad more.

I think its great the canal has been saved tho when I was there recently there did seem to be loads of resi boats parked at the chained off entrance. Now John " vomit " is a tad ott but I have to agree that wearing a suit does nothing to me and means nothing at all and as for so called black tie do's oh dear oh dear oh dear :smiley_offtopic:

Be fair, I've handled a £5 million grant and though I say so myself this grant could have gone off the rails a few times without intervention. I recall four years ago banging my fist in frustration and saying "don't give me the perfect claim, give me one I can pay!!" I think Odana may have witnessed that one.

And the withdrawal of the developer on the canalised section presented a challenge, to which BW (to give them due credit) rose, but it gave me yet more work that was a tad beyond the fee I've been paid for this.

Nightwatch, it gave me huge job satisfaction to take Ripple to Droitwich for the "soft" opening last September, even beat going through Three Mills Lock and walking a restored Bude Barge Canal. I am very, very lucky, although I wish it paid a tad more.

Was not a go at you it is just the VIP Ticket thing and having to wear a suit, its a canal not Buckingham Palace

I think its great the canal has been saved tho when I was there recently there did seem to be loads of resi boats parked at the chained off entrance. Now John " vomit " is a tad ott but I have to agree that wearing a suit does nothing to me and means nothing at all and as for so called black tie do's oh dear oh dear oh dear :smiley_offtopic:

As I said not knocking what has been done it is just the complete thing of VIP tickets and Suits

Edited by cotswoldsman

As I said not knocking what has been done it is just the complete thing of VIP tickets and Suits

Yes totaly with you on this one a suit and the phrase vip have no place in my world either. No one on this planet is a vip !! the problem is too many people think they are. :)

I've worn suits for the majority of my working life, since leaving the RN, however during the past 4 years or so I have 'changed direction' and this is no longer a requirement.

The company I presently work for celebrated their 25th anniversary recently taking all employees to Goodwood Races, we had to wear a suit. (?) It was strange to see some others wearing their new, ill-fitting, suits when you normally see them wearing tee shirts and work trousers.

I was 'uncomfortable' fully suited until a couple of beers had passed my lips and off came the jacket............

Not relevant to this topic but hey ho.

Martyn

The top three locks were restored some years ago and have now weathered. The new staircase locks are superb.The old Trustees wanted to restore and follow the old canal but the Councils allowed developers to block with roads and houses although many years ago they passed a full council resolution' no developement will be allowed to block restoration'.

Careful what you say. A lot of us here have given our time as volunteers to canal restoration projects up and down the country. Is handling the money any better than handling bricks, mortar and concrete? Anything is a bonus..... :closedeyes:

Edited by Hairy-Neil
  • Greenie 2

Careful what you say. A lot of us here have given our time as volunteers to canal restoration projects up and down the country. Is handling the money any better than handling bricks, mortar and concrete? Anything is a bonus..... :closedeyes:

Hairy-Neil can not give you one of those valuable VIP Tickets but have a greeny. My dad always told me that if someone has to tell you how important they are, it means they are not important. In my opinion the same goes for VIP Tickets and those that feel the need to tell everyone.

Hairy-Neil can not give you one of those valuable VIP Tickets but have a greeny. My dad always told me that if someone has to tell you how important they are, it means they are not important. In my opinion the same goes for VIP Tickets and those that feel the need to tell everyone.

:o Sharp intake of breath..... ;)

Look, chaps, this topic is still live and relevant. There is still some doubt as to when this canal will re-open and people are still interested to know. So can we just chill with the inverted-snobbery stuff and stay on-topic for a bit? When we find out it's open for certain, then go for it full pelt by all means.

Look, chaps, this topic is still live and relevant. There is still some doubt as to when this canal will re-open and people are still interested to know. So can we just chill with the inverted-snobbery stuff and stay on-topic for a bit? When we find out it's open for certain, then go for it full pelt by all means.

Seconded.

Are we saying that for the booked boats it is open 1-3 July, and the after that it is generally open to all? Would be nice to see that officially confirmed somewhere. I would hate to go down the big hill and find it not open!

We are planning to be there with the boat on 1st July with a 57foot nb. Any idea if mooring is expected to be a problem?

Mooring will probably not be easy there isnt much at the top end. Leave it a couple of months till the novelty has worn off as I will and you will probably enjoy it more :)