Droitwich Canals

Featured Posts

I'll be there on the 1st... I can't do my usual trick of "identify me by the Bath Rugby Shirt" as I have a VIP invite and will be in a suit, I might pick a suitably silly tie for id purposes

Or an HLF T shirt if they have such things

And Max, I hope that I, as funding agency, will meet you, as master perpetrator of this deed, on the day. It'll be me buying the beer, you have no idea how pleased the Heritage Lottery Fund are to have been associated with this, but we can only respond to those who ask

Your wife very kindly lent me a chair at the Sept opening of the Vines Park Basin. I hope to be on walking sticks by the 1st July.The new hips have taken away all the pain.

Your wife very kindly lent me a chair at the Sept opening of the Vines Park Basin. I hope to be on walking sticks by the 1st July.The new hips have taken away all the pain.

Max, I've shown that post to Val (my wife) and it has made her day. Thank you. Sadly it's a weekday so Val probably won't be present this time, nor will Ripple, as we no longer own her.

And good to hear that the legs are getting better. See you on the 1st

Edited by magpie patrick

From Waterscape

Droitwich water festival details announced

20th Jun 2011

The Droitwich Canals are due to open on Friday 1 July and to celebrate the momentous occasion, Vines Park will be playing host to a water festival. The highlight of the weekend will be the huge display of canal and working boats in the park. Festivities start with the Opening Ceremony on Friday 1 July with the arrival of VIP guests by boat at 2pm. The unveiling of a new plaque will take place at 3pm, followed by a flotilla of boats and canoes passing along the canal. During the opening event, visitors will also have chance to browse the various trade and canal information stalls. A real ale bar opens at 5pm and there will be live music from 7pm. The headline act for the evening is The Cohen Brothers, who will be on stage at 8.30pm playing a mixture of blues, rock and jazz.

The festivities on Saturday start at 10am when craft, trade and information stalls open to the public. This will be accompanied by a peel of bells rung by St. Augustine’s Church. There will be plenty on offer during the day, including trips on the Droitwich Canal Trust’s trip boat Pamela May, canoe taster sessions and guided walks to Hanbury Wharf, Dodderhill Tower and the nature reserve at Salwarpe. The Fire Service will be giving rescue demonstrations on the canal at 11am and 3pm and there will be a boat parade at 1pm. An afternoon of live music in the beer tent starts at lunchtime. The hard work of the many volunteers involved with the canal restoration will be recognised with the unveiling of a plaque at 12.30pm. The evening entertainment starts at 7.30pm with live music followed by a firework display.

Sunday’s festivities open at 10am with a similar range of stalls and activities on offer. A key feature of the day will be the Activity Zone at Netherwich Basin offering archery, angling demonstrations, canoeing, cycle agility trail, battle zone and guided cycle rides. Jazz fans will be well catered for, with Tom Hill’s Straightjackets playing in the Beer Tent over lunchtime, and the Worcester Youth Jazz Orchestra in Lido Park at 2.30pm. The finale of the weekend’s festivities will be an evening of live music in the Beer Tent starting at 7pm, with popular Irish folk group Roving Crows appearing at 8.30pm. The Water Festival coincides with the annual Droitwich Spa Music and Arts Festival and on Saturday 2 July there will be live performances in the town centre.

David Wheeler from Droitwich Canals Trust, says: “The opening of the Droitwich Canals is the culmination of 38 years’ hard work by volunteers and more than 11 years by the Droitwich canals restoration partnership. This is a historic moment for Droitwich Spa and will give a major boost to the local economy and hopefully the weekend packed with entertainment for everyone will be the first of many festivals to come.

The Canal Opening Event and Water Festival are being organised by Wychavon District Council, Droitwich Spa Area Partnership, British Waterways and Droitwich Canals Trust with support from The Waterways Trust, Worcestershire County Council and other sponsors. For more information on the water festival weekend call 01386 565355 or email janet.yates@wychavon.gov.uk. If you would like to travel to the festival by boat contact David Wheeler of the Droitwich Canals Trust at david@eurotexsales.com.

My son and I had a lovely experience yesterday evening. We visited Ladywood Lock to see if any boats had entered the Barge Canal. A narrow boat had just come down to the lock and was raising paddles.They had been on holiday on the Shroppie and were returning to Gloucester.Enquiring at Lincolm Lock on the Severn when the Droitwich was opening the lockkeeper replied " Today". They set off up to Droitwich and were returning back to the Severn. They gave a good report and seemed to have enjoyed the experience. This makes all the effort worthwhile.Good luck to all who cruise on it.

Edited by Max Sinclair

Does anyone know if the Junction narrow canal is open yet?

Sue

No-there is some piling in progress at the M5 crossing and work at no. 2 Hanbury Locks.

However, I was on a BW working party on the Barge Canal today and two n/bs passed down, having winded at Netherwich Basin. This seemed to have been fun.

Pity it is not on for longer, say till the end of August ...

Exhibition explores the history of Droitwich's canal network Wednesday 22nd June 2011 Droitwich Advertiser

AN exhibition on the history of Droitwich’s canal network and its restoration is being held at the town’s Heritage and Information Centre. The exhibition at St Richard’s House, Victoria Square, is running until July 9 and is being held to help celebrate the reopening of the barge and junction canals. Opening times will be 10am - 4pm Monday to Friday and from 9.30am - 2pm on Saturdays.

On Saturday, July 2, the centre will open from 9.30am – 4pm so that weekend visitors to the newly opened waterway can discover more about the history of Droitwich and its canals.

Sue

I was told yesterday that major works are complete and the Junction Canal would be open for navigation from today.

There is some detail work to be done on the locks, so watch out for wet paint.

I was told yesterday that major works are complete and the Junction Canal would be open for navigation from today.

There is some detail work to be done on the locks, so watch out for wet paint.

How nice to see wet paint on our locks. After 80 years of neglect everything looks 'Bloomin Good'

Sue

From Waterscape today:

Monday 27 June 2011 until further notice The Droitwich Junction Canal The Droitwich Junction Canal from Hanbury on the Worcester and Birmingham Canal to Droitwich Town is now open. The opening of the Junction canal completes the through route to the River Severn and opens the 21 mile mid Worcester Ring. The Hanbury Locks (1 to 3) are being manned by British Waterways staff between 10.00 and 15.30 (last arrival 14.30) and passage through these locks is only possible between these times. Please do not arrive at these locks outside this period as mooring is very limited. Due to nesting birds, we are currently restricted on the speed that we are able to fill and empty locks on this lock flight. This will slow passage through the flight and Customers are thanked for their patience. Customers are reminded that the limiting dimensions on the Droitwich Junction Canal are Beam 2.1m (7ft,) Length 21.8m (71ft 6in,) Headroom 1.8m ( 6ft,) and draft 750mm (2ft 6in.) Please note that there is a festival in Droitwich from Friday 1st July until Sunday 3rd July and boats will only be able to moor in Droitwich if they have booked with the Droitwich Canal Trust. http://www.worcs.com/dct/

Tim

From Waterscape today:

Monday 27 June 2011 until further notice The Droitwich Junction Canal The Droitwich Junction Canal from Hanbury on the Worcester and Birmingham Canal to Droitwich Town is now open. The opening of the Junction canal completes the through route to the River Severn and opens the 21 mile mid Worcester Ring. The Hanbury Locks (1 to 3) are being manned by British Waterways staff between 10.00 and 15.30 (last arrival 14.30) and passage through these locks is only possible between these times. Please do not arrive at these locks outside this period as mooring is very limited. Due to nesting birds, we are currently restricted on the speed that we are able to fill and empty locks on this lock flight. This will slow passage through the flight and Customers are thanked for their patience. Customers are reminded that the limiting dimensions on the Droitwich Junction Canal are Beam 2.1m (7ft,) Length 21.8m (71ft 6in,) Headroom 1.8m ( 6ft,) and draft 750mm (2ft 6in.) Please note that there is a festival in Droitwich from Friday 1st July until Sunday 3rd July and boats will only be able to moor in Droitwich if they have booked with the Droitwich Canal Trust. http://www.worcs.com/dct/

Tim

Thank you. I am moored in Droitwich and didn't know of the time restrictions so this is very helpful

Sue

Edited by sueb

TightTurn.jpg

Thats the barge canal "Atlas" is on which is stated as 3ft 6" draft. Its the Junction canal stated at 2ft 6" which we are worried about, also the stated 6ft5" headroom at the M5 culvert in W World is now stated 6ft on Droitwich website, we are 6ft 2" air draft with all removed, There seems a conflict on dimensions.

Oh and WHY last boats through Hanbury at 14.30?? Hasnt BW woken up to the fact that the leisure industry works later hours!! This is the culture that needs to go.

Why

Every time I've seen Atlas in recent years the crew have been wearing buoyancy aids (It's one of the reasons I departed the 'friends'). The crew of Swift at Braunston certainly were! Has the management of the boat(s) changed?

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Thats the barge canal "Atlas" is on which is stated as 3ft 6" draft. Its the Junction canal stated at 2ft 6" which we are worried about, also the stated 6ft5" headroom at the M5 culvert in W World is now stated 6ft on Droitwich website, we are 6ft 2" air draft with all removed, There seems a conflict on dimensions.

The 6ft 5in figure is from the Droitwich Canals Trust's (excellent, and recently published) Navigation Guide, which I would generally trust above other sources. BW is typically very conservative on citing dimensions (the worcs.com/dct website is reproducing a BW restriction notice) and I'd be very surprised if it's as low as 6ft.

Sue is right about the water supply problems restricting the draught. AIUI Atlas made it through at 3ft 3in.

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

Every time I've seen Atlas in recent years the crew have been wearing buoyancy aids (It's one of the reasons I departed the 'friends'). The crew of Swift at Braunston certainly were! Has the management of the boat(s) changed?

If we (CanalScape-BCN) are doing a approved BW job or have BW personell on the boat with us we wear bouyancy aids, in the first place to fit in with BW health and safety requirenents and secondly to appear as uniform with our guests. I have no issue with these aids nor due most of our crew. Having done jobs involving the MSC you cant go anywhere on their property without one. On rivers I tend to prefer to wear one but for leisure canal use not.

The person managing the BW boats is now Stephen Bicknell.

Edited by Laurence Hogg