You think HEP20 is bad?

TheWilk

Featured Posts

Had a leak beneath my sink since the freeze over Xmas, tried fixing it at the time and discovered that certain pipes on my boat are the very non-regular 12mm gauge. Actually go around to having another look at it today, and after numerous trips to the plumbers merchants which resulted in little more than blank looks, I found a part number on one of the pipes and googled it and discovered they're a brand which is discredited in America as the pipes degrade under tap water, and their owners, Shell Oil, have paid out billions to re-fit houses plumbed with this material (polybutylene).

http://www.codecheck.com/cc/Qest_PB.htm

I'm not too bothered about this much, but trying to find 12mm x 15mm fittings is a pain! Any ideas?

Hi, the only short term solution I can see is adapters like these which seem a reasonable price. Eventually complete replacement? Sounds like it may be a healthy thing to do?

Edited to add, of course you will also need 12mm pipe inserts to complete the connection, speedfit inserts are available and will hopefully do the job

Regards

A

Edited by Ark Right

Surely not all polybutylene? The true Speedfit PB stuff is used quite widely, where it needs to be more flexible than the normal white stuff, Wilkie...

I've never heard of it going boing before.

12mm is still very strange. Was it used in motorhomes or summat?

PC

Surely not all polybutylene? The true Speedfit PB stuff is used quite widely, where it needs to be more flexible than the normal white stuff, Wilkie...

I've never heard of it going boing before.

12mm is still very strange. Was it used in motorhomes or summat?

PC

I think 12mm is used in Europe so boats built abroard are often fitted with it.

Ah, that might explain it - cheers! :)

PC

I know that the French use ( ridiculous) sizes of 12, 14 and 16mm, amongst others - totally un-necessary, complete nightmare and impossible to interface to UK plumbing fittings - it almost is as if they did it because of Agincourt and have never forgiven us !!! unsure.gif

....and their electrical fittings.... well, it seems someone designed and produced those for a bet !

Nick