Some good news and some bad news

Featured Posts

We spotted a boat we knew on the move once on the train from Euston to Manchester

(WE were on the train, not the boat, before the grammar pedanticists start)

Pedanticists?

Good grief.

On our journeys we met a couple of Forum members, Ray T (twice), and Moomin Papa who I did not recognise until he called out to me, as I was busily trying to maintain some water between our base plate and the canal bed at that time.

I trust that it wasn't my passing maneuver which caused you to find the mud. Once back on the GU from the South Oxford, I've become quite blase about such things, on the Oxford I got quite a few stony stares as I proceeded resolutely up nearly the middle, endangering the shiny paint coming the other way. The fact that any further out of the middle would cause us to ground across the cut seemed to cut no ice.

The South Oxford was mainly OK from a depth point of view, but I was quite surprised to grind to a halt in the middle, in the middle of crossing the winding hole above pigeon lock. One would expect a winding hole, of all places to be deep, n'est-ce pas?

MP.

I trust that it wasn't my passing maneuver which caused you to find the mud. Once back on the GU from the South Oxford, I've become quite blase about such things.........................

Don't worry!

It's David's standard technique to claim that the other person is coming straight down the middle of the cut at him, with nil regard for his approach.

He has certainly done it to us, and I don't imagine that's a unique occurrence! :lol:

I have yet to meet him with "Sickle", (only "Chalice" so far....), so I look forward to that encounter with some interest.

...... Actually, I'm not sure he is a "real" boatman since he gave away his bowler ? :rolleyes:

holy shit dude..!! I'm guessing you were worried enough about yourself.?? now this...!!!!! never met you or Jan, all I know is you have exactly the same engine and gearbox as me...wow thats important. Genuine good wishes, hope all works out.

Don't worry!

It's David's standard technique to claim that the other person is coming straight down the middle of the cut at him, with nil regard for his approach.

He has certainly done it to us, and I don't imagine that's a unique occurrence! :lol:

I have yet to meet him with "Sickle", (only "Chalice" so far....), so I look forward to that encounter with some interest.

You have repeated that story several times, but I have no recollection of the incident, place or time. However, I will admit that when a shallow draughted boat approaches us at speed, I do hold something close to the centre line to preventy us being sucked onto the mud, a technique that, no doubt, you will learn to adopt now that you have a boat that is more than 2ft deep!

...... Actually, I'm not sure he is a "real" boatman since he gave away his bowler ? :rolleyes:

I gave it to you because a "real" boatman would not be seen dead in it!!! :lol:

Edited by David Schweizer

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes that would have been us, in the pouring rain!!!!

I would have been on the towpath walking between locks, Jan was steering

We passed her today on her moorings

Brian the gathering moved a few years ago its not at Napton anymore you need to turn at Wigrams down the flight smile.png

Read my posting in do you plan your trips.