Some good news and some bad news

Featured Posts

Bloody hell David talk about a double whammy - hope all goes well.

All the best to you both from me and Jan.

That is just what I said to Diana. I always look out for you as I round Wigrams

That is a fair point, and whilst the Consultant made it quite clear that Jan must not drive again until authorised to do so by the DVLA, it was only advice that it would not be good idea to steer the boat. Yes we do have Trad stern and Jan would be able to stand inside the hatches to steer if it were not for the problem she has with her feet which prevents her from standing on a hard surface for very long.

When steering Jan actually sits on a seat which I have made to fit betwen the slide rail and handrail, if she had a fit whilst sitting there, there is a 50% chance that she would fall backwards and into the canal, so the compromise at the moment is that I do the main steering and she will control the boat in the locks, and we shall avoid wide locks unless we find a sympathetic boat to work through with us.

After her operation, she will apparently not have sufficient energy (or possibly enthusiasm) to do very much at all for quite some while, so the truth is that we will probably not be able to do much boating at all until she has recovered her strength, but we will visit the boat in fine weather and sit beside it on our mooring feeding the ducks.

One year we will get some more real boating in again.

If Jan feels up to staying on the boat you could still do a good weekend out to Braunston, The Folly and Calcutt top. If we get some really nice weather late summer she may enjoy a weekend in the well deck with nothing to do except watch the world go by.

I am rather like Carl and have difficulty putting feelings into words regarding your 'double whammy'.

It may be no consolation but just over 30 years ago, my son was born two months premature and given less than thirty days to live due to various conditions associated with Downs Syndrome. Within a year my wife was diagnosed with cancer and a couple of years later given just two years to live. They are both still with me!

Indeed, my son has just had a surprise 30th 'James Bond' theme birthday party with his 87 year old grandma coming as 'Pussy Galore' (photos have been destroyed!).

I think what I am trying to say is hang on in there and make the most of what life has to offer!

If you do venture out in the Napton area in the next couple of weeks keep a look out for me on nb DreamCatcher with a boatload of autistic kids and give us a wave!

Regards

Allan

I think what I am trying to say is hang on in there and make the most of what life has to offer!

As I have said to David in a PM, I'm having some health issues, but his an Jan's experiences certainly knock mine into perspective.

On the other hand, I have just learnt a week or so back that my best school mate, who I have been out drinking with for more years than I care to own up to, had a massive heart attack one day, and died the next.

So I'm enormously encouraged to see someone like David take a very positive attitude to his situation, and continue to make excellent progress on the road back. I truly hope that everything goes equally well for Jan, and despite David finding himself unexpectedly on both domestic duties, and may be some single handing, they strike me like a couple who have the inner strength to come through the whole thing. I certainly hope so, and I hope that if 2011 has to be an enforced year of limited boating, that 2012 will manage not to be!

Will instruct SWMBO not to mouth off at a seemingly lazy female on "Helvitia" :P

Seriously though, you both have my sympathy. The waiting, for both of you, must be the worst aspect.

You have my respect for bearing up to your misfortunes so respectfully. I fear were it me I would have disintigrated into a hopeless pool of self pity.

Good luck to you both.

PS If you see "Peppers Paw" on the cut and need a hand with anything do not be aftaid to ask

Edited by Radiomariner

May I thank everyone for their kind observations and sympathies. I know we are not alone in our problems but knowing that there are people out there who understand, and are willing to help us out if needed is a great comfort. Jan is not a member of the forum, but does stalk regularly, knowing that there are people who are concerned for her health does help the process of coming to terms with her medical problems.

It will be a few weeks (possibly months) before Jan has her operation, but I will keep you updated when there is anything to report, in the meantime we will try and get a bit of boating in before our enforced abstinence. Unfortunately this also mean that the (much needed) cabin and roof re-paint will have to wait yet another year!!

We still hope to be able to attend the Braunston Historic Boat Gathering, but that will now depend on exactly when Jan is admitted into Hospital.

David, that is awful news, and it must be a very worrying time for you. I'm not near the midlands where you moor your boat, so am unlikely to be able to help there. However, I am reasonably near your home, so if you need help in anyway there, please do not hesitate to ask. For example, it may be that Jan needs to be got somewhere and you are not in a position to take her. I'm sure you have other sources of help in this respect but I will add mine and Val's to the list.

And make sure you look after yourself, if everything is falling on your shoulders such as driving and housework make sure you take a rest. The washing up CAN stay in the bowl while you have a cup of tea and listen to the radio. That's heartfelt from someone who learnt the hard way when Val was out of action for a few weeks.

All the best - I am sure your wife will be in good hands.

My daughter was blue-lighted to Frenchay in Bristol 13 years ago with a burst aneurysm in the brain.

The "prof" at Frenchay was brilliant.

It was a tricky one but she came through and went on to have a heart valve repair at Papworth and now a bouncing baby!

Rob

Only just catching up on the forum after a long absence. I am thrilled to hear your good news David but it must be very hard to find another potentially serious health problem affecting your lives.

Having cared full time for someone who suffered a serious head trauma and spent a long time in and around rehabilitation centres for such people I would like to say treat this situation just as you have your own illness, take each day at a time. Recovery takes time and regardless how successful the surgery is, the extent of recovery can vary from one person to the next but the surgeons are absolutely brilliant these days and what they can acheive is nothing short of a miracle. I remember the extreme fatigue following the op was very debilitating. It is unlike the fatigue that "well" people feel and can strike at a moments notice so certainly to start with steering the boat would be something better done with someone available to take the tiller without delay if the need was there. However with time and patience the gentle and relaxing therapy of boating is very likely to be just the tonic you both need.

My thoughts and prayers are with you both

Dear David and Jan,

I wish you both the very best, and hope that Jan's operation will be successful and that she may recover as quickly as possible.

When you are young you take permanent good health for granted, but only later you realise how lucky you've been al those years before, the only thing that's in our advantage now is that the medical progress has improved a lot and that they can almost perform miracles now.

All the best,

Peter.

David

Firstly can i say it's great news that you are on the mend, secondly Jan must stay positive & look to the NHS for the expertise of the Neuro who will get her through this blip.

You must also stay positive through all this as caring for a partner does take it's toll without you realizing it.

May I thank the various people for their PM's and apologise for not getting back yet. We actually took the opportunity for a bit of boating this weekend, probably the last before Jan's operation as our son is coming over from Austalia in ten days time.

We set off on Friday after lunch, returning this afternoon, and met more Canal World Forum members in three days than ever before, RayT, Adam1UK, Graham on Anwick, and Sarah on Chertsey. On each occassion either we or they were moving, so there was no chance for a chat but it was nice to see so many of you out and about.

May I thank the various people for their PM's and apologise for not getting back yet. We actually took the opportunity for a bit of boating this weekend, probably the last before Jan's operation as our son is coming over from Austalia in ten days time.

We set off on Friday after lunch, returning this afternoon, and met more Canal World Forum members in three days than ever before, RayT, Adam1UK, Graham on Anwick, and Sarah on Chertsey. On each occassion either we or they were moving, so there was no chance for a chat but it was nice to see so many of you out and about.

It was good to see you boating at the weekend, David, especially as Jan was so clearly enjoying herself. As we only spoke in passing, it didn't seem appropriate to shout about health issues across cut, but we're certainly wishing both of you all the best.

• 1 month later...

First of all may I thank everyone for their kind remarks and offers of assistance. I have tried to reply to PM's but I know I have missed some as they have mysteriously disapeared from my inbox, and I cannot remember who sent them!!

Anyway the good news is that we have a date for Jan's Operation on 21st July, and it will be done by the Senior Neurosurgeon at Frenchay Hospital which is even better news. This means that we will be attending the Historic Narrowboat Gathering at Braunstion at the end of June, so hopefully we shall be able to meet up with some of you. The other good news (well, it's good news for me as I hate Housework) is that Jan has managed to engage the services of a reliable cleaner to help out during her period of enforced rest.

Unfortunately I will not be getting much boating in this summer, not even single handed, as I will still have to be with Jan for most of the time during the first few months of her recovery, whilst she is at risk of having a fit. However if she responds well to her treatment, it may be possible to get a little gentle cruising in together by the Autumn.

Thanks once again for all the encouraging comments, it really does help to know there are people out there offering their support.

Edited by David Schweizer

First of all may I thank everyone for their kind remarks and offers of assistance. I have tried to reply to PM's but I know I have missed some as they have mysteriously disapeared from my inbox, and I cannot remember who sent them!!

Anyway the good news is that we have a date for Jan's Operation on 21st July, and it will be done by the Senior Neurosurgeon at Frenchay Hospital which is even better news. This means that we will be attending the Historic Narrowboat Gathering at Braunstion at the end of June, so hopefully we shall be able to meet up with some of you. The other good news (well, it's good news for me as I hate Housework) is that Jan has managed to engage the services of a reliable cleaner to help out during her period of enforced rest.

Unfortunately I will not be getting much boating in this summer, not even single handed, as I will still have to be with Jan for most of the time during the first few months of her recovery, whilst she is at risk of having a fit. However if she responds well to her treatment, it may be possible to get a little gentle cruising in together by the Autumn.

Thanks once again for all the encouraging comments, it really does help to know there are people out there offering their support.

I hope all goes well, fingers crossed for you both x

Hi David

All I can say is yep, sounds good.

May see you at Braunston if we recognise one another.

Thinking of you both, not all the time, but most of the time, well some of the time, you understand.

Martyn :cheers:

• 1 month later...

This morning, I finished a night shift and got a train from Euston to Rugby to go to the boat. I was doing a bit of canal spotting on the way, partly just to help me keep awake, when somewhere between Milton Keynes and Blisworth I saw a stretch of canal, complete with Helvetia heading south. It was 9.40, so if you're reading this, David, you might be able to pinpoint where it was. I don't know what the chances are of seeing a boat you recognise while speeding past on a train, but I think they're likely to be pretty slim.

This morning, I finished a night shift and got a train from Euston to Rugby to go to the boat. I was doing a bit of canal spotting on the way, partly just to help me keep awake, when somewhere between Milton Keynes and Blisworth I saw a stretch of canal, complete with Helvetia heading south. It was 9.40, so if you're reading this, David, you might be able to pinpoint where it was. I don't know what the chances are of seeing a boat you recognise while speeding past on a train, but I think they're likely to be pretty slim.

Hello Adam. You may well have seen Helvetia on the GU as you sped past, but if it was on Friday, it would have been between Bugbrooke and Buckby, and we would have been travelling North, back to our mooring at Napton. I know that you would recognise our boat so well spotted.

Some people may be wondering what we were doing out on the boat when Jan should be recovering from her operation, The simple answer is that her operation was postponed because of an emergency case and the Surgeon's subsequent holiday, and is now due to take place on Monday 8th August.

Needless to say we were both a bit upset about the delay, but decided that as we had both cleared our commitments, and with the weather forecast being so good, to take advantage of the situiatiion and spend a few days on the boat. We ended up with nine days rain free cruising, which must be a first for us, and I manged to do some much overdue maintenance, removing two leaking windows cleaning them up and refitting them during our "holiday", so there was a double benefit.

On our journeys we met a couple of Forum members, Ray T (twice), and Moomin Papa who I did not recognise until he called out to me, as I was busily trying to maintain some water between our base plate and the canal bed at that time. Of course there could have been others who wisely chose to remain anonymous :lol:

May I thank those who have P.M.'d me asking about Jan's progress. I will keep forum members informed when there is any news to report.

Edited by David Schweizer

We spotted a boat we knew on the move once on the train from Euston to Manchester

(WE were on the train, not the boat, before the grammar pedanticists start)