Some good news and some bad news

Featured Posts

Regular members will be aware that just over a year ago I was diagnosed with Bladder Cancer and underwent Major surgery to remove my bladder (along with some other bits) and had a new bladder constructed from bowel tissue, etc. At the time I recieved many good wishes from a lot of members and the support certainly helped my recovery. Over the last few months a number of people have PM'd me for updates, however I have kept fairly quiet because of some uncertainties about my progress.

Well earlier this week I got some good news The good news is that my latest series of CT Scans have shown the the earlier scares about my Cancer having possible migrated to my Ureta and one kidney was a false alarm, and the latest scans show (to use the Consutant's words) "no cause for further action", which is a relief. I have another internal examination in two weeks time, but that is more routine than anything else, and the Consultant is not expecting any adverse observations.

Now to the bad news. Some weeks ago Jan was disagnosed as having a Brain Tumour and we have just returned from a Consultation with the Senior Neuro Surgeon in Bristol, whom informed us that she has fairly large tumour on the middle top of her brain which has to be removed. They are 95% certain that it is benign and will not require Chemotherapy or Radio Therapy, but there is a complication insofar as there is a fairly large vein running through it and they will have to either by pass that, or cut the tumouur off around it. It is a fairly long and complicted operation and there is a small risk of further complictions, which I will not go into. We are not absolutely certain when Jan will be having her operation, but it will probably be between the end of June and early September,

We were informed that there is a small risk that Jan could have a fit and that she must not drive any more before her operation, and not for up to 12 months afterwards. She has also been told that she will not be able to undertake any domestic tasks for up to a year, so I am, really looking forward to that!!

We have been advised that it would not be a good idea for Jan to do any boat steering before her operation just in case, and certainly not after it. So I thought I had better explain why you might see some old Git working his boat single handed whilst his wife, who appears fit and healthy, is sitting in the front well doing nothing.

Edited by David Schweizer

Like I said, when you told us of your illness, I'm rubbish at the 'sympathy thing' but, when you're going boating, if you let me know when you'll be hitting lock flights, in my area, let me know and I'll happily swing a windlass for you...family commitments permitting, of course.

• Greenie 1

I am sure it seems like you solve one problem only for yet another to be thrown at you. I really dont know what to say, if you need any help we are only in Braunston and the offer is open ended. As previously I hope you can both gain strength from all our thoughts which will be wishing you both well.

Christ, you two really have been through the wringer. Glad to hear your good news and certainly hope all goes well and smoothly for Jan and that she will soon be lording (ladying?) it up at the front.

(I would like to echo carlt and scrumpy's offer should you venture down to the southern GU where the locks are a bugger single handed!)

Not being able to steer the boat sounds a bit drastic - was the person giving the advice fully aware of what it actually entails, or were they being super-cautious, without any real regard for the knock-on effects of the advice? It is very easy for medical staff to play safe and say 'don't do this that or the other' with little thought for the impact this will have on people's lives and the fact that you may be prepared to trade off some risk against doing the things that make life worthwhile.

Edited by Chertsey

Not being able to steer the boat sounds a bit drastic - was the person giving the advice fully aware of what it actually entails, or were they being super-cautious, without any real regard for the knock-on effects of the advice? It is very easy for medical staff to play safe and say 'don't do this that or the other' with little thought for the impact this will have on people's lives and the fact that you may be prepared to trade off some risk against doing the things that make life worthwhile.

hi,

I think the problem here is if you have a fit or collapse when the props turning or fall and hit your head. I had a similar problem some years ago, I got back from work to receive a phone call from a Consultant who said 'absolutely no more driving'. You have to accept his orders, caused us some problems but we worked round it until the health matter was resolved.

Good luck for the future David.

Leo.

Good luck to the pair of you, i'm on the other end of the K&A but if you need any help (boaty wise, not the domestic work, you're on your own there :D )

I'm pretty sure we've never met, but don't worry about that, just PM me and if im free I'll help out.

Paul

hi,

I think the problem here is if you have a fit or collapse when the props turning or fall and hit your head. I had a similar problem some years ago, I got back from work to receive a phone call from a Consultant who said 'absolutely no more driving'. You have to accept his orders, caused us some problems but we worked round it until the health matter was resolved.

Good luck for the future David.

Leo.

Driving is one thing, steering a boat is not the same (but a doctor might not realise this). The danger of falling in whatever happens is minimal if you are standing on the footboard with the hatches closed behind you (I'm pretty sure David's boat has a trad stern). I'm not sure I agree with 'you have to accept his orders' (except where it is a legal issue such as driving); being ill does not mean relinquishing the right to make your own decisions. Take advice, gather information from the experts, but make up your own mind on the basis of that.

• Greenie 1

I'm not sure I agree with 'you have to accept his orders' (except where it is a legal issue such as driving)

Those are the only real reasons why you would have to inform the DVLA, when you have been medically advised not to drive - the big difference with driving is the risk to others if you suffer a loss of conciousness at the wheel.

We don't often agree on issues around risk Chertsey but I think you are 100% correct on this - this is completely different as I see it the (quite limited) risk would only be to David's wife, Jan and possibly David. They are adults and should be able to make an informed decision.

(The problem is I'm saying that based on very very limited info. there may be other stuff I am not aware of.)

Driving is one thing, steering a boat is not the same (but a doctor might not realise this). The danger of falling in whatever happens is minimal if you are standing on the footboard with the hatches closed behind you (I'm pretty sure David's boat has a trad stern). I'm not sure I agree with 'you have to accept his orders' (except where it is a legal issue such as driving); being ill does not mean relinquishing the right to make your own decisions. Take advice, gather information from the experts, but make up your own mind on the basis of that.

That is a fair point, and whilst the Consultant made it quite clear that Jan must not drive again until authorised to do so by the DVLA, it was only advice that it would not be good idea to steer the boat. Yes we do have Trad stern and Jan would be able to stand inside the hatches to steer if it were not for the problem she has with her feet which prevents her from standing on a hard surface for very long.

When steering Jan actually sits on a seat which I have made to fit betwen the slide rail and handrail, if she had a fit whilst sitting there, there is a 50% chance that she would fall backwards and into the canal, so the compromise at the moment is that I do the main steering and she will control the boat in the locks, and we shall avoid wide locks unless we find a sympathetic boat to work through with us.

After her operation, she will apparently not have sufficient energy (or possibly enthusiasm) to do very much at all for quite some while, so the truth is that we will probably not be able to do much boating at all until she has recovered her strength, but we will visit the boat in fine weather and sit beside it on our mooring feeding the ducks.

One year we will get some more real boating in again.

Edited by David Schweizer

Thanks for the detailed response David - I wasn't meaning for you to justify your decision. I just get very frustrated sometimes at the extreme deference offered (not by you) to the medical profession! Let me join in sending good wishes to you both and happy boating!

Hi David.

Only met you the once but feel I'm there with you.

Like all I hope all goes well over the coming months.

I might not say it here or by PM but my thoughts are with you both often.

Martyn (Edit to add.) I have massive confidence in the NHS having undergone two major operations in my short 58 years. It is remarkable that the NHS are having to make so many cuts. Sorry my edit is a post on it's own.

Edited by Nightwatch

Very best wishes to you both. I always read your knowledgeable posts with great interest David and I hope that - post op - even your extensive new domestic chores will not prevent you posting from time to time!

BTW one of our daughters had a major brain op to remove a tumour and the NHS treatment was absolutely superb. She made a general recovery quite swiftly but it did take considerably longer (probably a year or so) before her full confidence and general vitality finally returned so take things steadily and persevere.

I hope that Jan progresses well, David. I know you've both had much to contend with in past years and can only wish that things improve once Jan is through the operation. Should you make to the Staffs and Worcs and the Sixteen I should be delighted to see you both and do the locking!

Can only second the vote of confidence in the NHS - as some of you know, my mum had a major heart attack a fortnight ago and her care has been exemplary,

Jill x