Fixed doubles

Windfola

Featured Posts

For boring and complicated reasons, I could do with a new mattress now, although I might not get my liveaboard boat for another 6 months or more.

So the question is:

What size are Fixed doubles on narrow boats usually? If I bought a small (4ft) double mattress, would it fit the vast majority of fixed double beds?

Sorry for all the questions, but you are all being wonderfully helpful and patient...

For boring and complicated reasons, I could do with a new mattress now, although I might not get my liveaboard boat for another 6 months or more.

So the question is:

What size are Fixed doubles on narrow boats usually? If I bought a small (4ft) double mattress, would it fit the vast majority of fixed double beds?

Sorry for all the questions, but you are all being wonderfully helpful and patient...

It would certainly fit mine.

I think the only way you'd get a standard 4'6" mattress in a boat would be to have it transverse. I had planned originally on squeezing a 4'6" into the cat, but reality dictated otherwise. It's amazing what 6" does (don't be rude).

Buy yourself a 4ft mattress - it would be unusual to find anything different other than if you had a cross-bed (and then you'd probably need to get some complicated fold-up mattress anyway)

4ft on the Dog House -

We had a board that extended the bed to 4ft 6in with a foam insert that went on the inside but we eventually it was more trouble that it was worth so we ditched it quite recently....

(It's in the big skip at Sawley..)

Ours is also 4' wide, although, as our boat has very low head clearance and we're shorties, we had it made to measure at 5'8" long! The mattress was made to measure foam with a memory foam topper - it's very comfortable and actually wasn't expensive at all (sub-£300 inc cover, delivery etc etc). From a company called Sleep Detox.

When we come to sell we might have to warn potential viewers that if they're over 5'8" they won't be able to stand up or lie down in the boat ;)

4 feet at the top and 3 feet at the bottom (not including human feet). But mine has the bottom corner cut off on one side so you've got room to walk round the swim.

The trick then is to get a vertically challenged GF so that her feet don't stick out the end on her side (I have the full 6 foot side ;) )

We've got a 4ft bed with a 1ft gateleg extension.

We have a 4ft main matress and a 1 ft "fillet" that lives on top of the main matress when bed is not in use and slips down between the main matress and the cabin wall when bed is extended.

Mrs Bullfrog sleeps on that side of the bed and has yet to complain about the "join" !

David

A standard "small double" is 4ft x 6ft 3in, you should be able to get that size anywhere

Our boat is a bit strange I think in that the bed was built for a 3ft 9in wide x 6ft 3in mattress, so I modified the base to have a 3in overhang. The bed is still narrower (just) than the bathroom wall that it buts up to, and there is no problem in getting past it. We bought a very nice "small double" memory foam topped mattress for it, in fact it was so good that we went out and bought the same mattress in a king size for at home!

I hadn't given the length much thought, I confess! Do many boats have shortened or tapered beds?

This is getting more complicated than I'd hoped... :blink:

Mine did (on Andante) taper slightly but a standard 4' mattress rammed in there OK. They do have some compressibility. Or in the worst case scenario, you could saw the corner off - still cheaper than a new mattress and more comfy than a cheap one.

4 feet at the top and 3 feet at the bottom (not including human feet). But mine has the bottom corner cut off on one side so you've got room to walk round the swim.

The trick then is to get a vertically challenged GF so that her feet don't stick out the end on her side (I have the full 6 foot side ;) )

I'll tell Liz you called her a short arse........ :D

Ours is 4'3" wide, and it's still easy the get past it. The whole base slides out another 3" so that the duvet can tuck down the wall side and insulate that person from the cold wall. It's also 6'6" long cos I'm tall. Made to measure quality foam from the Caravan and Boat Seat Cover Centre in Bristol.

Get a widebeam.....my bed is 1600mm wide x 2000mm long :P

That's horribly large with only one of you in it!

Don't have a fixed double at all - just a drop down double in the back cabin. The dinette converts into a 6ft plus by 4ft if anyone taller than 5'3" comes to stay. Not that that happens often. I think Bazza's the tallest person to fit in the back cabin and he's not a giant except in terms of intellect.

A standard "small double" is 4ft x 6ft 3in, you should be able to get that size anywhere

Our boat is a bit strange I think in that the bed was built for a 3ft 9in wide x 6ft 3in mattress, so I modified the base to have a 3in overhang. The bed is still narrower (just) than the bathroom wall that it buts up to, and there is no problem in getting past it. We bought a very nice "small double" memory foam topped mattress for it, in fact it was so good that we went out and bought the same mattress in a king size for at home!

In three years I have never come across a shop which sells standard 4 ft by 6 ft 3 mattresses, where is this anywhere that you speak of? Is it far away from me?

Sorry

silly mood

Try looking up 'small doubles' on the internet. The better manufacturers (Hypnos, Silentnight and so on) do them, but you have to order them specially as they're not usually stocked on the high street.

If you look at the argos site or in their book they have several small doubles on there ie 4ftx6ft 3 made by silentnight cost is £219.00 they do have cheaper ones.

Edited by romarni123