Closure of facilitys

sueb

Featured Posts

Correct about Fieldes weir on the Lea now re opened, The pump out elsan water & shower block at the moorehen (Harlow) on the Stort are still in tip top condition and available for all boaters.

Sorry I must be having a really bad day. What is a local CCer? Surely a CCer would only be local for a very limited period about 14 days or maybe 28 days if he uses the same facilities from 2 mooring places while in the area.

Just trying to use shorthand please insert CMer towpath dweller whatever as desired.

As my last topic degenerated in record time, I am trying again.

Does anyone know of the demise of any sani station or rubbish disposal?

Sue

Limehouse laundry and shower block are now only accessible to the marina. The reason that the marina gave me was 'British Waterways no longer pay contribution for their upkeep'. This was the only shower block open to boaters in Central London. The nearest is now Stonebridge or Brentford.

Limehouse laundry and shower block are now only accessible to the marina. The reason that the marina gave me was 'British Waterways no longer pay contribution for their upkeep'. This was the only shower block open to boaters in Central London. The nearest is now Stonebridge or Brentford.

and they have hidden the lavender boat right round the back

Just trying to use shorthand please insert CMer towpath dweller whatever as desired.

The point I was trying to make is that CCers are not responsible for all the bad things that happen on the system. Posts like yours just help promote the theory that CCers are just a bunch of boaters that sit around avoiding mooring charges. Can I suggest that if you wish to use shorthand please use the correct shorthand.

Well done, stick with it :clapping:

As you can see I am still grumpy...............maybe it will get better with time!!!

The point I was trying to make is that CCers are not responsible for all the bad things that happen on the system. Posts like yours just help promote the theory that CCers are just a bunch of boaters that sit around avoiding mooring charges. Can I suggest that if you wish to use shorthand please use the correct shorthand.

As you can see I am still grumpy...............maybe it will get better with time!!!

Which is what? because everyone I have seen offends someone

For clarity I was not blaming the boaters, they didnt close our facilities BW did.

Edited by Phoenix_V

Which is what? because everyone I have seen offends someone

For clarity I was not blaming the boaters, they didnt close our facilities BW did.

I agree with Phoenix V - what he says is correct. Some services were closed to move certain boaters on. It's not a rumour, it was in writing, in user group meeting minutes.

Course, it inconveniences all of us when this is done. I'm not surprised Feiles Weir had to be reinstated. It left some boaters with nowhere to take their refuse or empty their loos.

No rubbish disposal at Hungerford or Newbury

Sue

Instead, Newbury has a number of signs directing you to Kintbury.

I resisted, with some difficulty, the temptation to take my rubbish and leave it on the steps of the Town Hall.

Last year there was a rubbish bin at Hungerford, but it was seldom emptied. As a result, it was always over-flowing and no doubt rat-infested.

Councils/BW need to realise that provision of a bin is not enough. It needs to be emptied now and again.

Edited by sebrof

I agree with Phoenix V - what he says is correct. Some services were closed to move certain boaters on. It's not a rumour, it was in writing, in user group meeting minutes.

Course, it inconveniences all of us when this is done. I'm not surprised Feiles Weir had to be reinstated. It left some boaters with nowhere to take their refuse or empty their loos.

They only reinstated the water and elsan but not the bins, so all the rubbish piles up next to the elsan.

For which boaters (Cc or cm insert own) get blamed.

Some services were closed to move certain boaters on. It's not a rumour, it was in writing, in user group meeting minutes.

The thing I find disturbing about this is there is no accountability for such a course of action.

Is anyone using the absurdly misnamed complaints process to take this up? It would be well worth getting this to Waterways Ombudsman level ASAP.

It is infuriating.

Ccers/cmers/cd/dvd/vcr etc are not always welcome at boatyards. Boatyards are unhappy about having to pay the extra to take refuse away/maintain elsan, pay water rates since BW closed their facilities so unless you spend money there, you can't use these facilities.

So I don't know what they are supposed to do when it comes to emptying their rubbish? Some tips (Enfield Council tips, I'm thinking of, here) require a council tax bill in order to use them.

So rubbish gets dumped where the old services used to be and everyone slags off the boaters.

Its all rather stupid.

If the boatyards were sensible, they would just publish their price list for fresh water, elsan emptying etc.

Some would refuse to pay, which means they go away and get it somewhere else and some would pay the price. It's called business.

At the end of the day, they are not responsible for what BW do or don't do, but they ARE there to make money.

I've been refused fresh water in a boatyard and when I've offered to pay a fair price as I appreciate that some are metered, they have refused me.

I can only presume that BW are trying to cut down on the water points and sanitation stations to reduce their costs, forcing boaters to pay extra

for something that they have regarded as their right in the past.

It is infuriating.

Ccers/cmers/cd/dvd/vcr etc are not always welcome at boatyards. Boatyards are unhappy about having to pay the extra to take refuse away/maintain elsan, pay water rates since BW closed their facilities so unless you spend money there, you can't use these facilities.

So I don't know what they are supposed to do when it comes to emptying their rubbish? Some tips (Enfield Council tips, I'm thinking of, here) require a council tax bill in order to use them.

So rubbish gets dumped where the old services used to be and everyone slags off the boaters.

It doesn't help that all the little black bins by locks (on the Lee & Stort) have BW stickers saying not for boaters use, then go on to give a list of available places to take your litter most of which are private boatyards.

no wonder they get the hump with boaters presuming they can use there facilities.

Well a ccer that I know complained to BW that there is now nowhere to empty his rubbish. So he phones Bw and says, 'what am I supposed to do, there is nowhere to empty my rubbish. So they say, 'you have to use xxx boatyard.' So he goes there with his bin bag and gets chased away, told to 'f*ck off, we don't want your sort round here.' So he phones BW again, they tell him to use said boatyard, that he has to. I don't think they care about what happens in reality and why it happens. There are more and more boats, less and less services and it doesn't take a genius to work out why the boatyards and marinas are upset. *sigh*

So BW is effectively setting ccers and boatyard owners against each other, everyone involved is angry at BW and the river and towpath fills up with cr*p.

The exisiting services (both the BW ones and the marina/boatyard ones are now totally oversubscribed. Yet have you seen the IWA statement on the Lee and Stort proposals?

Clicky

I quote, 'Extra facilities should not be provided just because boats do not wish to move.'

If everyone does move as they are proposing, there will still be the same number of boats /same pressure on the facilities!

Edited by Lady Muck

I would hypothesise:

Boater phones someone lowly at BW.

They tell the boater what they have been told to say i.e. go away and find a boatyard.

Boater gets rebuffed from the yard and goes back to BW.

Similarly lowly person doesn't know what else to say. They know BW won't open more facilities. They can't be arsed to phone the boatyard and

have a chat (above my payscale), so they repeat themselves to the boater leaving everybody frustrated.

BW can't make the private boatyards play, but you would think they could influence the BWML ones.

I think the writing is on the wall - its just that some aren't prepared to see it yet.

I think the writing is on the wall - its just that some aren't prepared to see it yet.

I think that BW are not going to continue to encourage liveaboards, by providing facilities, so you may well be right.

Is that composting toilet still in the "For sale and wanted" section?

Or - lets make it impossible to live afloat whilst ruining the amenity (as they like to call it) with the resulting mess at the same time.

Great isn't it? Someone flytipped a load of (mostly) clothes all in carrier bags on the towpath up here, about three weeks ago. There must've been 150 carrier bags in all. I've reported it three times now.

Guess where most of it is now located?

Edited by Lady Muck

Or - lets make it impossible to live afloat whilst ruining the amenity (as they like to call it) with the resulting mess at the same time.

Great isn't it? Someone flytipped a load of (mostly) clothes all in carrier bags on the towpath up here, about three weeks ago. There must've been 150 carrier bags in all. I've reported it three times now.

Guess where most of it is now located?

round your prop?

The Nicholsons Updates site attempts to list permanent closures of this nature.

http://nicholsonsupdates.blogspot.com/ and on Facebook

Many thanks

Sue

Well a ccer that I know complained to BW that there is now nowhere to empty his rubbish. So he phones Bw and says, 'what am I supposed to do, there is nowhere to empty my rubbish. So they say, 'you have to use xxx boatyard.' So he goes there with his bin bag and gets chased away, told to 'f*ck off, we don't want your sort round here.' So he phones BW again, they tell him to use said boatyard, that he has to. I don't think they care about what happens in reality and why it happens. There are more and more boats, less and less services and it doesn't take a genius to work out why the boatyards and marinas are upset. *sigh*

So BW is effectively setting ccers and boatyard owners against each other, everyone involved is angry at BW and the river and towpath fills up with cr*p.

The exisiting services (both the BW ones and the marina/boatyard ones are now totally oversubscribed. Yet have you seen the IWA statement on the Lee and Stort proposals?

Clicky

I quote, 'Extra facilities should not be provided just because boats do not wish to move.'

If everyone does move as they are proposing, there will still be the same number of boats /same pressure on the facilities!

I don't know where people get the idea that it is just to inconvenience ccers. It inconveniences ALL boaters hirers and holidaymakers as well.

Sue

Sue I am interested if there is an end game to this thread? Will you publish a list of all facilities that are at present closed? Will you start a campaign against Self Pump Outs that are causing some of the closures?

I was hoping this topic would produce a list instead of a tirade about self pump outs. Self pumpouts don't get rubbish bins removed.

Sue