Julia Bradbury's Canal Walks

Flyboy

Featured Posts

Just bumping this one as a reminder - tonight at 8.30 BBC4 :)

Missed this reminder but watched it on iPlayer this morning.

Quite why this little gem of a series has been buried on BBC4 is beyond me - the photography (particularly the aerial stuff) is just spectacular.

Shame it turned into a Thomas Telford love in. While Telford did the initiakl work when they accepted the project the powers that be brought in Jessop to be in charge. He died before the canal was completed but he was in charge when the major engineering projects were done.

Whatever Telford's feelings for the canal helping the locals those locals building the canal seemed to prefer taking orders from Jessop. On one occassion just before his death he had to be rushed by coach to the works as the men refused Telford's orders but a word from Jessop mand they trekked back to work like lambs

The Caledonian was the second Jessop in Charge canal Telford worked on - the other was the Llangollen where Jessops name similarly went missing - many believe because Telford's biographer burned all the files that showed Telford was not the boss. (Except one misfiled letter about a certain aqeuduct that is.)

Still it was a nice program though she did seem to imply that all the (tried and trusted) solutions to problems - many worked out back in Brindley's day - were actually invented by TT for this canal.

But at least the girl knows a barge is not a narrow boat!

Julia Bradbury's series 'Canal Walks' is being shown on BBC4 on Mondays at 8.30pm starting on 2nd May. I think there are six parts. :cheers:

Nice programme but was disappointed that it only covered 8 miles, my favorite places on the waterway were Drumnadrochit (sp) and Fort Augustus.

Had a brilliant few days on it last April, a few pictures:

http://timlewis.smugmug.com/Other/Caledonian-Canal-April-2010/12962174_6pati#937508255_sBRoi

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Does anyone know which canals the other future episodes will cover ?

Nick

All about the series and canals covered Here

Episode 1 : The Caledonian Canal

BBCFour : Monday 2nd May at 8.30pmMore info on this episode

Episode 2 : The Worcester & Birmingham Canal

BBCFour : Monday 9th May at 8.30pmMore info on this episode

Episode 3 : Kennet & Avon Canal

BBCFour : Monday 16th May at 8.30pm

Episode 4 : Llangollen Canal

BBCFour : Monday 23rd May at 8.30pm

Edited by MJG

Shame it turned into a Thomas Telford love in. While Telford did the initiakl work when they accepted the project the powers that be brought in Jessop to be in charge. He died before the canal was completed but he was in charge when the major engineering projects were done.

Whatever Telford's feelings for the canal helping the locals those locals building the canal seemed to prefer taking orders from Jessop. On one occassion just before his death he had to be rushed by coach to the works as the men refused Telford's orders but a word from Jessop mand they trekked back to work like lambs

The Caledonian was the second Jessop in Charge canal Telford worked on - the other was the Llangollen where Jessops name similarly went missing - many believe because Telford's biographer burned all the files that showed Telford was not the boss. (Except one misfiled letter about a certain aqeuduct that is.)

YAWN: Hadfield decided to start having a pop at Telford and it was most uncharacteristic of Hadfield to do that. Why he chose to join the hysterical, sorry, historical conspiracy theorists is beyond me. Telford was the man "in charge", the one who carried the can if it went wrong. Nothing more, nothing less. It was Telford's reputation at stake if it went wrong.

Jessop wasn't exactly a man of probity either...

All about the series and canals covered Here

Episode 1 : The Caledonian Canal

BBCFour : Monday 2nd May at 8.30pmMore info on this episode

Episode 2 : The Worcester & Birmingham Canal

BBCFour : Monday 9th May at 8.30pmMore info on this episode

Episode 3 : Kennet & Avon Canal

BBCFour : Monday 16th May at 8.30pm

Episode 4 : Llangollen Canal

BBCFour : Monday 23rd May at 8.30pm

Remember that there's an excellent book to accompany the series. We have it at www.canalbookshop.co.uk (£9.99 plus postage), or for callers at Audlem Mill on the Shroppie.

...or £6.42 post free from Amazon.co.uk :)

I know you can buy some books cheaper at Amazon, but they are selling this book at less than the price canalside shops have to pay. If everyone buys from Amazon, canal shops (which generally sell a lot more and usually give good service) will eventually go out of business ..... Might be a pity!

I know you can buy some books cheaper at Amazon, but they are selling this book at less than the price canalside shops have to pay. If everyone buys from Amazon, canal shops (which generally sell a lot more and usually give good service) will eventually go out of business ..... Might be a pity!

It's a fair point and I was going to make a similar one - the problem is when you are on a budget can you afford to pay substantially more for the same product?? And Amazon offer a faultless service in my experience, that can't always be said for some of the smaller traders I've dealt with (That's not a pop at this particular small trader as I've never dealt with them)

I'm amazed that our local bookshop still do as well as it does in this day and age but it seems to survive and they do offer a good personal service if that is what folk want, and as I say if they are prepared/able to pay for it.

It is the way things are changing, and there's nothing new in that change. The net has brought about a sea change in the way people buy and sell, and obtain information. It has changed shopping, and made a huge dent in magazine sales and advertising revenue too. The music industry is a shadow of its former self. Half a century ago, the motor vehicle put paid to village shops.

I wonder what technolgical development will be the threat to internet retailers such as Amazon in the years to come? Will their demise be sentimentally rued too?

Don't get me wrong. I love the canal side shops such as Audlem Mill. It must be a tough world though.