Stupid question

Windfola

Featured Posts

Stupid question possibly, but if I buy a boat and want to rename him (my boat will be a him), can I just go ahead and repaint the sign?

I mean, it's not like when you buy a car and if you change the plate you have to pay and go through DVLA etc etc, is it?

I have a name in mind, but what if it is already taken? Does this matter? :help:

And where, may I ask, are we going to find one of those in this day and age?

This maybe why not many boats are being renamed, lack of sacrificial virgins....are they like anodes? do you need differnt ones for fresh water and salt water?

We wondered about changing a boats name.

By all accounts, you remove any reference to the old name from the vessel, make a paper effigy of it, and set it alight off down the canal (the effigy, not the boat!).

Job done.

In the end, when we bought Leo, we liked the name so much that we left him as he was and are pleased we did!

And where, may I ask, are we going to find one of those in this day and age?

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

This maybe why not many boats are being renamed, lack of sacrificial virgins....are they like anodes? do you need differnt ones for fresh water and salt water?

Didn't God warn Adam about not letting his Mrs swim in the water coz it might make the fish smell? Or something.

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...

The old pagan way of re-naming a boat is as follows :

(1) Take the boat out of the water (if possible)i.e. when it is being craned out or in a dry dock or is being pulled out to do maintenance work.

(2) Have some offerings of flowers or food.

(3) When the boat is going back into the water and at the point before it enters the water, you can say these words:

I RE-NAME THIS BOAT ...whatever name you have chosen

MAY THE GODS AND GODDESS'S BLESS AND PRESERVE HER AND ALL WHO SAIL IN HER.

AT THE SAME TIME AS YOU SAY THESE WORDS OFFER THE FLOWERS ( as in my case) into the water.

Job done so to speak, but then again I am a bit of an old pagan. I know others would do it different but hey its your boat do what

feels right for you. Mind you the face's of the crane operator, marine owner and lorry driver were a picture I was laughing so much :)

Well if I lit my effigy for the replacement she would take me to court !

LOL! our boat nearly got renamed when the man first moved on board after he split with wife No 1 who these many years later is a good friend of minel However, dragonwitch is a lot more expensive to sign write compared to a five letter word so it didn't get changed and we all remain good friends.

D

Bed time right now!

Guest wanted

It was like this. Bill’s first wife were named Bertha, and this ‘ere boat were named Bertha - and quite right, too. But she died last year, and Bill married again - quite right too- but damned if ‘e don’t go and re-christen the boat Beatrice,’cause that were the name of ‘is fresh wife. It’s all wrong - agin. Providence - for ain’t it true that you must never rename a boat or a ship? ‘E tempted Providence, and e’s boat smashed.

Stevenson, Treasure Island

Not sure you will incur the wrath of neptune down our way, but you may well but doomed to a lifetime of perpetual weed hatch visiting!

oh hang on.....