Mooring at Black Country Museum

PeteS

Featured Posts

I'm thinking about doing the Black Country Ring this summer and incorporating a stop at the Black Country Museum. It will be during the first 2 weeks in July and it looks as though I will be there sometime during the weekend arriving late afternoon/early evening.

I was wondering if anybody knew how many spaces are available at the museum mooring site and whether they will be busy at this time of the year.

By altering the start day I could arrive midweek and I was wondering if this would be better

Funny enough we are doing the Black Country Ring as well this year but in October.

So if any answers can cover mooring in October as well we would be grateful.

And pete after you have done it would be grateful if you could pass on any info we might find useful, such as good moorings places to avoid good places for shops / pubs that sort of thing.

Qhere are you starting from btw, we are starting from Great Heywood with Anglo Welsh

BCM has a large number of moorings outside of the fence but it is recommended that boats moor inside the museum

There are about 3 boat lengths from the locked gate (access can be gained with a BW key to go to the pub) up to the bridge which are generally used as visitor moorings. There are also a couple of lengths on the other side near to the facilities building

BCM has a large number of moorings outside of the fence but it is recommended that boats moor inside the museum

There are about 3 boat lengths from the locked gate (access can be gained with a BW key to go to the pub) up to the bridge which are generally used as visitor moorings. There are also a couple of lengths on the other side near to the facilities building

I tied up there with no problem. However I did get a sleeping bag wrapped around the prop, so had no choice staying there, as took nearly 2 hrs to get off..

Funny enough we are doing the Black Country Ring as well this year but in October.

So if any answers can cover mooring in October as well we would be grateful.

And pete after you have done it would be grateful if you could pass on any info we might find useful, such as good moorings places to avoid good places for shops / pubs that sort of thing.

Qhere are you starting from btw, we are starting from Great Heywood with Anglo Welsh

The boat is moored at Leicester and so I have a bit of trek to get on the ring proper. As I amd retired the plan is for me to single hand to Willington on the T&M where my wife will join me after work. I'm joining the ring at Great Haywood so I can go up the Wolverhampton 21 as I went down them about 4 years ago.

I normally keep a daily log and so it's no problem to drop you info after we've finished

We've moored at the BCM three times in recent years. The only time we've managed to get a space behind the locked gate was in November. Other times we've moored outside -- there were other boats there, and we had no problems.

We've moored both inside and outside, and had no problems. Here is a picture of last time we were there, with Dudley Tunnel in the background (no we hadn't come through it)..

Dsc03448r.jpg

During the day the tourists tend to think you are part of the exhibition. We've often found hordes of them (especially Japanese) congregating on the deck to have their photo taken. One of my favourite comments was from a small boy who (together with at least a dozen other people) was peering in through the windows while we were having lunch, he excitedly said to his parents "Oh look, they're eating real food"

We've moored both inside and outside, and had no problems. Here is a picture of last time we were there, with Dudley Tunnel in the background (no we hadn't come through it)..

Dsc03448r.jpg

During the day the tourists tend to think you are part of the exhibition. We've often found hordes of them (especially Japanese) congregating on the deck to have their photo taken. One of my favourite comments was from a small boy who (together with at least a dozen other people) was peering in through the windows while we were having lunch, he excitedly said to his parents "Oh look, they're eating real food"

In the picture are you on private moorings?

:)

Maybe private to the museum??? They were where the museum staff advised us to go for the night. ISTR we did need to use a BW key when we walked to the "Sizzling" Pub for a steak.

No, this is a single mooring after the tunnel height measuring hoop, I think the mooring belongs to the trust, but theres no private mooring at that spot.

When we moored there a couple of years ago, we were behind the pub on the Museum side. Staff said it was no problem, especially as we intended visiting the next day. They even let me in free to have a quick pint of Holdens just before they closed for the night!