Swing Bridges

Bob Blues

Featured Posts

I’m quite use to cursing on my own I have worked out a plan for doing locks and very often I even close the gates behind me. :)

Now I was going south from Milton Keynes today and came across a bit of an issue that stumped me, being new to boating etc…

After Marsworth locks there is a swing bridge. No 125. Now this bridge opens from the opposite side to the mooring bollards and there is no way back to the mooring side once the bridge is open.

So, What I did was swing the bridge as far as by hand then, Used the bow gently to push the bridge open and once past I reversed up to the bridge and gently nudge’s it closed with the stern.

So what is the correct method of dealing with a swing bridge when once you open it you cant get back to your boat?

Bob B

That bridge is clearly far from perfect for single handers.

But, as you were going South, there is a solitary bollard on the off-side, so, (assuming you have already managed to open it and be on your boat!), it is possible to pass through, tie your back end off, and close the bridge.

If you were going north, you could probably tie your front to it to open it as well.....

But (IIRC) there is no equivalent bollard on the off-side to the North of said bridge, limiting your options somewhat.

That bridge is clearly far from perfect for single handers.

But, as you were going South, there is a solitary bollard on the off-side, so, (assuming you have already managed to open it and be on your boat!), it is possible to pass through, tie your back end off, and close the bridge.

If you were going north, you could probably tie your front to it to open it as well.....

But (IIRC) there is no equivalent bollard on the off-side to the North of said bridge, limiting your options somewhat.

I saw that bollard, It seamed to be put on as an afterthought. I was looking for the key operated bridge control when I saw how it worked it felt like the krypton factor trying to woek out how to open the bridge and get back to the boat.

Oh well

BobB

I asked a local boater just the other week how one deals with that particular bridge when going north and he said without hesitation - 'leave it open'. I am not sure that that is the correct way to deal with it.

Edited by Water Rat.

I asked a local boater just the other week how one deals with that particular bridge when going north and he said without hesitation - 'leave it open'. I am not sure that that is the correct way to deal with it.

No, it isn't unfortunately......

It's part of quite a popular footpath route up to Pitstone village, and if let open, walkers wanting to cross from the towpath side, and go up the footpath to the village simply can't.

It's on one of our dog walking routes actually, although fortunately we have never found it left open when we need to cross.

Well hope you don't try that on the Leeds and Liverpool.

Used this swingbridge a lot.

Going south, nudge it open GENTLY shut it by reversing back to it.

I don't like nudging the bridge - nearly got my rear fender caught doing it once.

My technique for going south is as follows: Get off boat – don't bother to tie it up, just go across the bridge holding on to the front line.

Open the bridge and using the front line pull the boat through.

As the boat goes through, release the front line and pick up the stern line and stop the boat. The boat is now diagonally across the cut with the stem on or near the towpath side and the stern near the offside where you're standing.

Close the bridge.

Go back over the now closed bridge and use the stern line, which you've still got in your hands, to pull the stern back onto the towpath side.

(Sounds more complicated than it is. I've done it loads of times this way.)

Curse as you see another boat approaching from the south.

Edited by koukouvagia

Ref the issue of leaving them open - as the l&l has been mentioned I remember our first ever trip out we struggled to put a crew mber on a bridge that had been left open.

Thinking we were doing the 'considerate boater' thing we dutifully closed it.

On reading our guide we later discoverered that particular one is intentionally left open.

So it is always worth checking if you come across an open one that it is not supposed to be left like that.

Ref the issue of leaving them open - as the l&l has been mentioned I remember our first ever trip out we struggled to put a crew mber on a bridge that had been left open.

Thinking we were doing the 'considerate boater' thing we dutifully closed it.

On reading our guide we later discoverered that particular one is intentionally left open.

So it is always worth checking if you come across an open one that it is not supposed to be left like that.

That reminds me of something that happened to us with a lift bridge on the Llangollen last year.

The last lift bridge between Trevor and Llangollen.

As we approached it we noticed it was already up so struggling to get the bow in I dropped Rose on the offside to close the bridge after I had taken the boat through.

Anyway Rose gets off the boat climbs over the barbed wire fence getting stuck on it in the process.

Only to find that the bridge was chained in the up position, so climbing back over the barbed wire she gets stuck on it again

That reminds me of something that happened to us with a lift bridge on the Llangollen last year.

The last lift bridge between Trevor and Llangollen.

As we approached it we noticed it was already up so struggling to get the bow in I dropped Rose on the offside to close the bridge after I had taken the boat through.

Anyway Rose gets off the boat climbs over the barbed wire fence getting stuck on it in the process.

Only to find that the bridge was chained in the up position, so climbing back over the barbed wire she gets stuck on it again

Last year doing the Llangollen,I was going along AND COULD SEE A HIRE BOAT in the distance,so I manage to almost catch up, they were going very very slow,the captain landed his wife,and she raised the bridge up,as soon as the hire boat passed she waved at me then started to lower it,I called out " i'm a single boater" ,and she shouts out i'm married and carry's on to lower the bridge. :banghead:

when I got off my boat to chat to them they just grinned and left.......normaly I like to see hire boats,better still packed with people,even better if i'm doing locks and theres a few hire boats about,I tend to get done in no time.

Edited by sheriff

Some years back we found a hire boat moored on the lift bridge moorings of a Llangollen bridge with the guy working the bridge for everyone. It seems he had wound the bridge down as the current moved the back end of his boat back under the bridge and successfully damaged the tiller unit to the point of the boat being unusable. While he waited for the boat yard blokes he was doing a sort of pennance and warning others.