Lakeland Leisure Estates

Chubby Chaser

Featured Posts

I am moored at Great Haywood Marina and have just received a letter telling me that Great Haywood and Tattenhall Marinas have been sold to Lakeland Leisure Estates Ltd.

Does anyone know why GJP sold and is the sale a good thing or a bad thing? What was the experience of moorers at Saul Marina when it was bought by LLE?

The sale was completed a couple of weeks ago.

I suspect GJP wanted to unload Tattenhall but as it was more of a liability than an asset they had to bundle it with Great Haywood.

"Lakeland Leisure" made their money from caravan and lodge parks. I believe they sold off some caravan sites to raise capital and were looking for something leisure-orientated to put it into that was a bit different.

I have been told that LL had a substantial Capital Gains liability if they did not reinvest the cash. Whether that is true or not I haven't the foggiest idea, but it is a credible explanation. I concur with above post that Tatenhall was probably a long way short of its projected returns.

• 4 months later...

Tattenhall Ice Cream Park Annex Marina - Not as secure as advertised!!!

We received a letter dated 16th March from Lakeland Leisure Estates who have long been established in operating Caravan parks. They also have bought Saul Marina and Great Heywood Marina. We were informed that they didn't anticipate any significant changes in the operation of the business. It is advertised as a 'secure' marina but far from being 'secure' it is company policy to leave the main access security gate open and they allow any one to enter unrestricted. People without boats on the Site come in and use the facilities for which we pay for, for free. It has become an added attraction to ice cream farm visitors who allow their children and dogs to run wild. They dump their rubbish in the already over flowing bins and contravene all the regulations imposed on us, the moorers. The company believe this will attract more people to moor their boats? Many people have contacted them many times with their concerns but they seem intent on ignoring customers' concerns in carrying out their policies. With the amount of security provided you might as well moor on the towpath! Mr. Lak Lustre

We received a letter dated 16th March from Lakeland Leisure Estates who have long been established in operating Caravan parks. They also have bought Saul Marina and Great Heywood Marina. We were informed that they didn't anticipate any significant changes in the operation of the business. It is advertised as a 'secure' marina but far from being 'secure' it is company policy to leave the main access security gate open and they allow any one to enter unrestricted. People without boats on the Site come in and use the facilities for which we pay for, for free. It has become an added attraction to ice cream farm visitors who allow their children and dogs to run wild. They dump their rubbish in the already over flowing bins and contravene all the regulations imposed on us, the moorers. The company believe this will attract more people to moor their boats? Many people have contacted them many times with their concerns but they seem intent on ignoring customers' concerns in carrying out their policies. With the amount of security provided you might as well moor on the towpath! Mr. Lak Lustre

Abit over the top, when we stopped outside Tattenhall a few weeks ago we walked through the fence and went to the chandlery, the place was dead!I would have thought that most marinas want people from outside to copme in and use the facilities, cafe,chandlery, brokerage etc We often drive to Church Minshull marina , with the dog and use the cafe, I would hope the boaters who are on the marina dont moan that we are using the facilities for free that they are paying for

We often drive to Church Minshull marina , with the dog and use the cafe, I would hope the boaters who are on the marina dont moan that we are using the facilities for free that they are paying for

Be assured you are welcome at Church Minshull (Aqueduct) Marina. Equally, the facilities for the boaters are enhanced due to the outsiders coming in to use the cafe - it probably wouldn't be there in its very successful form if it had to rely on moorers.

Obviously the marina asks that outsiders stay off the mooring jetties and keep dogs on a lead but otherwise you are welcome - hence the very successful Open Day as reported in Towpath Telegraph. They don't have a problem with outsiders coming in to dump rubbish, and if anyone did they would be charged!

Abit over the top

Perhaps, but it sounds familiar - when filling up with water at Ellesmere the boater next to me said he was looking to move from Tattenhall for the very same reasons. The acid test will be to look at the vacancy rate in 12 months time.

When we moored at Tattenhall last year there was a road barrier which could only be opened by using a keycode - is this no longer there?

The gate and keycode are still there and are secured outside of office hours.Tattenhall is a lovely place to moor and overall I personally don't have any issues with things there.Others do.I'm trying to balance things a little by posting my veiw and do not wish to get into a fight with anyone.I'm there shall we say a large preportion of the time and I find it a safe, secure enough,tidy, well managed marina.Perhaps it could be cheaper to moor,I've never costed up other marinas(In fact I've heard rumours of a shocking price hike here but they are unconfirmed by myself at the moment).If I didn't like things I'd move.Intrestingly last winter it had plenty of boats in,This summer I'd say it's about half full.Some people come some people go.Lets see how many boats are in over winter?.

Great Haywood marina is full and a vibrant place to be with boats coming and going all the time. There was a keypad operated barrier at the entrance which is waiting re-installation when the ground works associated with the new farm shop at the entrance are finished. I believe some of the issues raised above with the other marinas are being addressed with GH being used as the model they wish the others to become. These things can take time to deal with....

If the emergency services find a locked gate and people living aboard it can lead to the eviction of liveaboard boaters

Sue

Sounds like an urban myth to me.

I assume that the same thing applies to people who have locks on their garden gates?

Ive been at Tattenhall 18 months and would rather live with the odd pain in the bum walking through every now and then than live in a prison for a marina.

There is a a electric barrier at the entrance then its surrounded with farm land for miles.

Bit of a hijack sorry :smiley_offtopic:

we went there Bank hol Monday and access was gained thru a monitored barrier